Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My sisters boyfriend is wanting to get a handgun he is 21 we live in SD and he was thinking of getting a handgun and he wanted to know what king of gun would be best price for ammo, and what one would be better 9mm or glock

·
Registered
980 Posts
Well a Glock is a glock. the workings are all the same. just the size is different. not sure the model numbers but there is a full sized model a combact sub compact and a extended slide with compisation ports in the barrel and other mods. they are all reliable it is just a matter of prefrance.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I am not sure I understand your question. A Glock is a pistol manufacturer not a caliber.

Generally, 9mm will be the cheaper of the self defence pistol rounds. A Glock in 9mm would be a good choice after he went to a training class. If he has not been around pistols, he really needs some training before buying one - especially a Glock (I love Glocks and own 4, but you need training before carrying one). It would be embarrassing to blow your own foot off - or worse.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Price aside . . . . .

The 9mm has a well documented history of failure in combat and in law enforcement situations.

I would go with at least the .40 and perhaps the .45 (in a steel framed
1911 style).

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Yea, but he is not going to be in combat or a law enforcement situation. The 9mm is a good round for a new shooter. It is cheap to shoot, will not create a flinch from excessive recoil and with the right ammo is a perfectly acceptable choice as a personal defence round. Don't forget the military has to use FMJ ammo.

Don't take this post as my whole-hearted endorsement of the 9mm - I am not its biggest fan, but it is not the worst choice by far. I own a 9mm - I typically use it at the range. My carry guns are typically .40 and 45's, so I am not disagreeing with you totally nathangdad. Just saying in this case, I think it would work just fine.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
No - its actually easier to make it go off as it has no manual safety. That is why I suggested the training. The Glock has 4 (I think) physical safeties that keep it from going off under use (like dropping, throwing, kicking, running it over with a truck, etc.), but the safeties are all integrated with the trigger. In other words, when you pull the trigger with a round in the chamber, it is going bang - every time. There is no manual safety to disengage before pulling the trigger (it doesn't know if you meant to pull the trigger or not). They do go bang every time - that is why I like em.

As for how it shoots compared to a Ruger, that is all personal taste. I like them better than Rugers, but that is just me. Your buddy needs to go to a range that rents pistols and handle and try them out until he finds what he shoots the best. Now days, just about all well know pistol are dependable and function as designed. It is all how they feel and personal taste. Nobody can tell your buddy how it feels. He has to figure that one out.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
elmer have him look into the 40 S&W caliber and Glock gas several models to handle the 40 S&W.
Many LEO's use Glock pistols in 40 S&W.
A.H

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
No, all pistol function about the same as far as aiming goes. Some have better sights than others. Glock sights are usually pretty good.

Pistols with a short sight radius, will typically not be as easy to shoot as pistols with longer sight radius, but that is not brand dependent.

Glocks are about average on accuracy. Some are actually very accurate. It will vary.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
You can also get aftermarket sights for the GLOCK and many other brands that may be more to your liking. I personally have Heinie Straight Eight sights on my GLOCK 27.

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
Tell him to check out a Glock model 35 .40S&W. The tactical/practical Glock. Shoots great. Has a accessory rail if he ever decides or wants to add a light or light/laser combo. You can still get 15 round magazines for it, other wise 10 rounders.

·
Registered
33 Posts
another note, there are all sort of aftermarket parts for the GLOCKS! There're parts that cost more then the gun itself! Similar to the famous 10/22 ruger.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
My sisters boyfriend is wanting to get a handgun he is 21 we live in SD and he was thinking of getting a handgun and he wanted to know what king of gun would be best price for ammo, and what one would be better 9mm or glock
One question needs to be answered before any real recommendations can be made:

What's he going to use it for?

·
Registered
15,333 Posts
Get a Smith & Wesson M&P .40 or .45.
I own 4 of them in 3 different calipers and love them all. I CCW my .40 Compact but sometimes my MP45. (If I go to Cleveland I carry my 629 .44 magnum)
I've shot both this and Glock and prefer the MP's. Fit better in my hand and lefthand friendly.
As for 9mm, I have one for for shooting at the range but I never carry it. Ammo is cheaper but anymore you almost need to reload your own if you plan on shooting a lot!
As previously stated, it all depends on the reason for purchasing one. As for home protection, I keep the .44mag revolver loaded, and the .40 MP full size and the .45 with loaded mag's in them (not chambered though).

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
I strongly suggest that you folks find a knowledgeble, reliable person that you can meet with in person to "show you the ropes." (ok, yes, I mean an old guy.:))

A gun store clerk MIGHT just sell you something that is pretty, high tech, expensive, and completely unappropriate for the customer's level of knowledge. It's not his job to try to determine his customer's level of training. (though I know many are pretty careful). This can lead to, at least dissatisfaction in the purchase, and at worse, a tragic accident that negatively impacts all gun owners.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,596 Posts
Just out of curiosity, when he shoots it, ask him if the brass has the drag mark across the primer. I'm curious.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts