Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I intend to buy a polymer pistol. I wonder if I should buy a Glock (17 or 19), a Steyr M9 or a S&W Sigma… The one I prefer for the look is the Sigma. But someone told me it's not a good gun. The Steyr M9 is also very nice… And the Glock have a really good reputation (but I think they're ugly!!!).

What can you tell me about these three guns?

And what about the caliber? I like the 9mm Para (not too expensive), but what about the .40 S&W?

Regards

Jonas

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Have you looked at the Sprinfield XD line of pistols? They are one of the best polymer pistols on the market right now.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I like the 9mm for ammo availability and cost. I also like the .40 round. If I had to choose only one from the three you listed, I personally would go with the Glock. I would buy a Sigma, especially at the prices I am seeing lately. I am also fond of the Springfield line and have made offers on the XD45, but the shop owner was a little stubborn. I am still looking for a good deal on an XD.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
I highly recommend the Steyr, though I prefer the older models over the newer M40 or 9-A1 series. I also highly recommend 40 S&W over 9mm. For some reason it feels much better to me, especially in the Steyr pistol. Try shooting one if you possibly can and you'll see what I mean. Lots have bought them without trying them, since they're not common, and have been very pleased.

If you are looking at Glocks, I concur that the Springfield XD is worth considering. I have heard far more bad than good about the Smith Sigma, and from handling them I absolutely HATE their triggers. Try them and see if you'd want to fire one.

Ultimately choose what you believe suits you best.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Noticing that you're in Switzerland, I'd rule out the Smith Sigma. In the US they're priced far below others and are still in most opinions not worth it. Glocks, HKs, and current model Steyrs would probably be priced competitively and would be far better pistols.

I'm not sure if the Springfield XD is marketed worldwide by Springfield, but it's made in Croatia and may be available under a different name.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Glock or HK would be my recomendation. No sigma!

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Steyrs may be the optimum bewteen Glock and HK. Here's how they're related. The Steyr M40 was designed by a disgruntled Glock engineer. The guy had ideas to offer something new, but Glock decided that one innovation was enough for their company and didn't think their pistols could be any better. So the guy left and designed the M40 for Steyr. Unlike the Glock, the Steyr was designed for the 40 and thus overdesigned for the 9mm, vs being designed for the 9mm and underdesigned for the 40. (The 40 was designed for the heavy duty S&W autos that were overdesigned to begin with.)
Relating to HK, every report I have heard comparing the two is that HK pistols feel the best to shoot but that the Steyr is very very very close behind. Some folks say Sigs are the best, but probably for different reasons. Steyrs have the advantage of a completely enclosed firing mechanism vs the HK, a superior internal metal frame vs the Glock, and a lower barrel axis than anything else out there. I prefer the older models with manual safety. The new models have a standard accessory rail, textured grip, and only a trigger safety like the Glock.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your answers… I still wonder if I'll buy one of the three… I realize how much I love steel and wood!!! But if I buy one, I think it will be the Steyr…

Thanks!

Jonas

·
Registered
171 Posts
Love my Sigma but then I am fond of the old S&W dbl. action revolvers. If you do well shooting them double action, then the Sigma feels right. Glock is a quality gun but the reports of accidental discharges are getting all to common. It always turns out to be human error but the numbers make me wonder if the design is just too unforgiving. As far as 9MM v .40 goes, if it's for defence you need a good hollowpoint bullet in the 9. I don't know what the laws are in your country but if you are stuck with a round nose (millitary) bullet then go for a .45.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you like to exercise your finger - no, not that finger, your index finger - go with the s&w sigma. Trigger weight is twice that of the glock - good for safety reasons. BTW I'm an S&W nut so don't be surprised. I am also thinking of getting a glock 19 sometime.
So anyway here's a pic of my S&W sigma 9ve.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
i bought myself one as a christmas present. going to go give it a good workout today. still doesnt feel as good in the hand as a browning hi power, but i figured i should have 1 tupperware gun.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts