Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I will soon get my firearms license (in Canada) and am now looking into buying a handgun (9 mm) for recreational purposes and maybe even self-defense. The only handgun I have fired was the Browning, I dont remember the model, but it was one of the older versions.
I know that most of you will recommend either a Glock or a SIG, but I have held a Glock and it felt a bit boxy, and the SIGs run at over $1,200 here in Canada.. so it is a fairly expensive luxury..
So even though I still havent decided about the Glock and the SIG, and unless you can make me think otherwise, I am leaning more towards the Beretta 90-Two or the Browning Hi-Power Standard.
If anyone has fired both the Beretta and the Browning, or have done some research on them in the past, which one would you recommend, and why? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Beretta 92:
Nice pistol, hi cap (15rds), very reliable, double action.

Browning Hi power:
Great smooth pistol, hi cap (13rds) very reliable, single action.

I have shot these and all the ones above. The above pistols are nice too and have their good points. That being said the one I would choose is:

The Browning Hi power. Why? My personal experience. First, the grip is the best feeling of all the hi cap pistols. It fits my hand perfectly and for big or little hands , no complaint. Second,trigger pull. The trigger pull on the Brownings are better than the Berettas. The only advantage to the Beretta is the Double action ability that the Browning does not have. Third, accuracy. The Sig is very accurate and the Glock is very accurate also but my Browning is my most accurate centerfire pistol that I own. Nod to the Browning. Fourth, reliability. My Browning has belonged to me for 10 years. Still waiting for my first jam. Hope this helps you make up your mind.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
With that kind of line up I don't think you can go wrong. I am not a big fan of Glock but no pistol could stay around this long and this strong unless it was a solid gun. I have a sig and love it. If you got the P226 or P229 and added a houge grip no better feel of grip or better pistol exist, IMHO. The Berreta is good, some complain the grip is too big, I have only shot one a few times but I haven't found this to be a problem. The browning I have no experiance with but my wife has a BPS 20 ga. shotgun from browning and I would not be going out on a limb to say it is the finest pump shotgun every made.

I think this choice is one of personal preferance. Hold them, shoot them if possable and get the one you like best.

·
Banned
1,928 Posts
Glock is boxy but believe me after you shoot it you will love it, as for the bereta I have not shot one but have heard great things mostly accuracy personally I would recomend you get a glock they can fire up to 300,000 rounds without fully breaking down and have been shot with mud and swamp water in them, go to YouTube.com and type in Glock torture test and then watch it, then type in Beretta torture test and watch it, this might help a little.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I really like Glocks. I have shot most of the others you mentioned and they are all good pistols. But the Glocks are very simple - no extra gadgets to get in the way when you need it. They also have a very good habit of going bang EVERY time you pull the trigger. In 9mm, I would go with the Glock 19. It is about as close to an all purpose pistol as you will find. The Glock will grow on you - you can also get a hogue slip on grip that makes it feel better (to me). After shooting it a few times it will become natural. When I first started shooting glocks, I tended to naturally aim high, but now it naturally goes to point of aim. I don't think you listed any bad choices - just don't go with a cheap copy of the high-power. My only caution is - Glocks are not made for stupid people. If you do go with the Glock, make sure the holster you get for it covers the trigger and don't stick it down your pants gangster style or you may lose something you are fond of!

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Glocks are nice and well thought out pistols theres a couple of them in the next room.
If you buy a Glock make sure you buy a holster(s) where the trigger is covered.

While your looking check out the CZ 75 "compacts" in 9mm & 40SW...A.H

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
ive played with the sig's, i have a glock 34, but i own 4 browning hi powers. if i had to start selling my guns today, the glock would be the first to leave. the hi power in my opinion is by far the superior pistol.

·
Wonderment :)
33,595 Posts
wondering

Subjectivity: check out these
Stoger Cougar 8000 a direct copy of Beretta $325.00
Ruger P89-90 $350.00
XD $500.00
Glock $500.00
Sig
I have shot Glock XD's, Rugers, each has a place in my shooting day. Glock's will stay around for a long time. A gauge; against all?
After reading about Stoger Beretta coming together I am in the market for the Cougar 8000.
Haven't held one but will this week. Tried hard to find all and any information about it. Worth the aggravation. It will become popular; because it's a Beretta

·
Registered
406 Posts
Glock all the way. If you can't pony up the cash then go with the Ruger. I have a P89 and like it. It did take some practice to get used to. It's pretty heavy IMO. I love small guns. I prefer the Glock Model 26. or if you are feeling feisty get the Model 30.Here is a link GLOCK MODEL 30

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
I'd suggest a Springfield XD, EAA Witness, Browning HP, CZ, Beretta, Stoeger, or pretty much ANY gun, before I'd recommend a "Grock". I've shot them but wasn't impressed. There are a lot of other guns that go "bang" with much more style and comparable reliability at lower prices to ever make me want to recommend a Glock.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Glock's maybe reliable, I don't know about "undisputed most reliable ever." I know a guy that has a Keltec P3AT fall out of his pants pocket while he was at the top of a Grain bin, It dropped 70+ feet to the concrete below, didn't go off and still shoots today. Does that mean that it is the most reliable, no. Guns and Ammo TV have done their torture test on tons of guns and they ussually fire, I remmber, I tihink it was a smith, they put it in wet concrete and after a day in the sun they broke it loose and chiped the conrete away from it and it fired. The fact is many guns are reliable and will fire after being subjected to harsh conditions, Glock is one of them. Most people don't need a gun that can be used as a hammer, if you need a hammer buy a hammer. The most important thing is buying a gun that fits you well. One in which you like the grip of the gun and one that feels natural to shoot. If that is Glock for you, fine. If you like Sig, Smith and Wesson, Taurus, Kimber or what ever, that will be fine too.

Sig says they have To hell and back reliablity, is Glock more reliable than Sig? If you as a Glock rep, yes. If you as a Sig rep no. If you ask the question on here you will be a bunch, maybe even hundreds of opinions on the subject. Still the best advice for someone wanting to buy a gun is try them out and see what you like best. Then research and make sure there are no known problems with the one you like and get it!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Well I have seen alot of torture test on Glocks. Including it being dropped from an airplane. I want to say it was dropped from 1500 feet! It still worked after it was dropped and I don't know how many guns can say that they would work after that. They also put it in a bucket of salt water and so on they really try to ruin this gun but it keeps working.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Check out the Springfield XD or S&W M&P if you want a gun that is as reliable as a Glock, doesn't use Polygonal rifling (something that leads to gun failures), and doesn't feel like a brick in your hand. Plus, the M&P is made in the U.S.A.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Well I have seen alot of torture test on Glocks. Including it being dropped from an airplane. I want to say it was dropped from 1500 feet! It still worked after it was dropped and I don't know how many guns can say that they would work after that. They also put it in a bucket of salt water and so on they really try to ruin this gun but it keeps working.
Which other guns did they drop out of the airplane with the glock? If the answer is none then it isn't a fair test. Drop a couple of different brands at the same time and compare the results and you may have something to talk about but it would still not be a sceintific test. First of all you have to consider terminal velocity. an object can only reach a sertian speed when falling on earth and no matter how far it falls it can only fall so fast. So a Ketec falling from a grain bin and a glock falling from a plane may fall at the same speed. Most modern firearms are as reliable as any of us need them to be and if they are not there is all sorts of info on the internet about the problems certian guns have.

·
Banned
1,928 Posts
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgjmtj9TgX8&mode=related&search]YouTube - FirepowerTV Ultimate Gun Tortue Test[/ame]=

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrZ0kxhDA3Y]YouTube - Glock torture test[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc_Rqm0bESI]YouTube - Beretta Model 92 torture test[/ame]

·
Registered
406 Posts
Well obviously the Beretta is a no go. The Sig I knew would hold up. The Glock was a no brainer either. You have to look it at objectively though. Cost vs. Quality. Sig 226 would cost atleast 500 used!! Glock new for about 500-550. Beretta at 480 bucks. I think the model 92 has one flaw that would make it fail these test. The open slide. It lets anything gather in between the barrel and the slide thus causing a malfuction. Now I am not saying there is anything wrong with the Beretta and many ppl bet their lives on them. as well as the other 2 listed. Truthfully my fave is the Glock. I don't really think the Sig belongs in this comparison due to the cost. A new Sig 226 is easily 800-850. I would love to have one and have absolute faith in the firearm. The cost is just way outta whack IMO.

·
Banned
1,928 Posts
I got a Glock for 400 used , wouldn't even try to afford a Sig, Beretta I have heard from gun nutts like me said: Beretta gets a little sand in em and they jam, and our military carry's them.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I got a Glock for 400 used , wouldn't even try to afford a Sig, Beretta I have heard from gun nutts like me said: Beretta gets a little sand in em and they jam, and our military carry's them.
It's all about saving money. Beretta puts up a good price, and the military will take it. If glock had put up a cheaper price, and was made in the US, then we'd be using glocks.

Watch out for the S&W M&P45 though, we may see the military pick that one up soon.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts