Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, since I've finally got my shotgun, I'm ready to move onto something different. I've been thinking about an SKS for a while, and I figure that I better get on it before they, and the ammo for it, go up. I'll be going to a gunshow on the first week in October, and if I don't find one then, I'll probably go to another on the first weekend in November.

I'll start by saying that I plan to buy the TAPCO T-6 Stock, and a whole lot of detachable magazines. I know some of you disagree with this, but it's what I want.

What I'm wondering is what country-of-origin is best, what do I need to look for, besides matching numbers, % finish, and any other general things you think I need to know. At what price do I know I'm being ripped off? You guys probably remember the other 3 or 4 threads I personally created asking these same questions, but I'd like to know if there's any recent developments in the SKS market I need to know about. Overall, I love the way this gun looks, and its reputation. Again, anything you think I should now before heading to the show
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Jeff

P.S.: Does anyone who has a SOG account know what the Yugo SKS's are going for about now? Thanks

·
I can justify anything.
4,879 Posts
Yugo SKS Md.5966 Rifle 7.62x39 Cal.
Just received a large shipment of Yugo SKS rifles that are in good condition. 23” barrel with grenade launcher attachment.
RETAIL: $229.00
#SKS-M5966GN
NO CALIFORNIA
C&R $Ask me
Yugo SKS Md.5966 Rifle 7.62x39 Cal. (In Excellent Condition)
These SKS rifles in 7.62x39 caliber are here and in excellent condition! A very limited supply have arrived… Order Now!
Accessories include sling, cleaning kit and oil bottle.
RETAIL: $299.00
#SKS-M5966SC
NO CALIFORNIA
C&R $Ask me

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a bunch, Paper. If I don't get lucky at these gunshows, I might just have the pawn shop order me one of those, assuming he doesn't mark it up too much. I'd really prefer one without the bayonet. Anywho, thanks for doing that.

·
I can justify anything.
4,879 Posts
Not a problem..
I've changed the prices to "ask me" so if anyone else needs this info, PM me..

·
Registered
406 Posts
Around here you can get a Norinco for about 250. I would keep looking I believe the Norinco to be a better rifle. I own one and it is an excellent shooter. The only thing is that there is only one to my knowledge that will take a 30 round magazine. I think it is a SKS-D or SKS-M I am suire someone knows what I am talking about they take AK Magazines. I have 2 different 30 round magazines and neither of them work very well. Other differences between the SKS's are that the Russian is the supposedly the best the Albanian is made from milled parts instead of stamped, The Chinese is made using Russian die's and all of those have chromed lined barrels. The only one that does not have a chrome lined barrel is the Yugo SKS. I don't know what you are planing on doing with the SKS but the chrome lined barrels are claimed to be much more accurate. I have no way to know that since I only own the Norinco and have never shot any of the others. If you plan on attaching a scope in the future or really doing anything other than the stock I would look for something else. I bought my SKS and now want a AK. I almost wish I would have bought the AK first. As far as collecting goes Norinco is cool cause they no longer import them.

·
Ahh..Cordite.
911 Posts
Norinco owner here...best most reliable...I have a 50 rd magazine and it works fine in my SKS..only 2 of my 8 magazines actually function flawlessly, the rest are all very bitchy.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Lots of good SKSs out there.

But, please, if you're going to hunt with a 7.62x39, buy a box of American-made hunting ammo (Fed, Rem, Win, etc.).

You can't trust those cheap European "soft point" bullets. Too many of them won't expand in anything smaller than a rhino.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Naw, I've got a .30-.30 and a 7 Mag for hunting, but thanks for the tip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts