close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

going to crossbow this year

Discussion in 'Bow-Hunting' started by cabinnut, Dec 29, 2014.

1. cabinnut

cabinnut G&G Enthusiast

I saw so many good bucks this fall while working on the new cabin that I decided it would be nice to hunt them before it's 5 below and they're all riled up in rifle season. So I've been researching crossbowing (dmsbandit's "basics" post was a big help) and wondered what other people thought of the Parker Centerfire or Thunderhawk? I still don't know enough to be asking the smart questions but I know some G n G'ers do. Any help on crossbowing or just basics on bowhunting in general would be helpful.

And if I can ever get the pics on this laptop figured out I'll post some great pics of some nice bucks fighting right in the front yard of the cabin, mid-November, 70 yards from the porch.

2. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    Parker cross bows are a decent bow. I would stay away from some like the Barnett or most of the Hortons. Ten Points are way overpriced to me for what you are getting. I still have a Bear/Jennings which is about 20 years old. Had new cables and restrung twice. I also shot a few Horton models and will do the job. I removed my old sights on both crossbows I own and invest in a nice crossbow scope. When you practice with it at a dead stop target make sure you set aside and use the same broadheads you are going to use for hunting. The field points will impact way off even if they are the same weight. I found out the hard way. I use like 4 target bolts for each. I have hunted with a crossbow for about 35 years or so.

3. Rambo

Rambo Norse by birth Forum Contributor

My wife just went with a crossbow for deer. She got a Barnett as out of all the ones at the shop, it was the only one she could cock and that is important. This year she used Rage expandables and they were awesome. Make sure your broadheads are designed for crossbows. Fixed broadheads work for almost anything but expandables have to be specific for crossbows. Oh, when shooting from an elevated stand, aim low or you will shoot over their back. Practice from your stand so you will know.

4. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

5. Sav .250

Sav .250 G&G Evangelist

I went to a cross bow last year. Didn`t know a thing about one or what other stuff was needed.
    Did a lot of my own research. Looked at a lot of cross bows on the net. Went to BPS and my local Gander Mountain to see/hold and even test fired(with bolts of course) a couple.
    Sure learned a lot of valuable information .
    Money was also an issue. Had a budget ! Found exactly what suited my needs
    and in budget.

Practice....Practice....Practice.

The end result was a 6 point buck on a quota hunt in central Fl.

Getting the answers to the test ...........you learn nothing!

6. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

SEMO
    I have one that the kids play with. I bought it for the wife to use, but she won't hunt. It is a Barnett Recruit and we love it. It's fairly cheap, but it puts the broadhead where it needs to go. The scopes on them are junk though. You'd be better off with the inside of a toilet paper roll.

7. Just this year here in MO. did we change from the crossbow being used only during the Firearms portion to include Archery & Muzzleloader portion's also !..............

8. Wicked109

Wicked109 G&G Evangelist

My two kids use crossbows for deer. Daughter bought a mid level crossbow (now two years old) and will be getting a higher end unit for this next season. My son bought the Barnett 415 Ghost Revenant and matched it with some really nice carbon shafts, broad heads, etc to get extremely consistent shots 20-75 yards (but his shooting lanes where he hunts are no longer than 60 yards). Cabinnut, have fun picking your equipment, and enjoy the hunting experience it will bring.