Going To Start Reloading 8X56R

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by gandog56, May 10, 2008.

1. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

But I can't find any loads for this round in any of my four reloading manuals. Got nice 205 grain .329" bullets and Prvi Partizan brass. Waiting for my Lee dies to come in, and hope it had some loads listed, but I would really like to immediately start by having the correct powder on hand. What I got in the house for rifle is 414 and H4895.

Anybody got some recipes?

2. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

the 4895 should work with below starting 8 mm mauser loads
    maybe 3gr below starting.
    you might get lucky and have some data in your lee dies also.
    if it is in a break acton or what you would think is a weak action you could go down a bit further just keep the 4895 above 60% case full.

3. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

all i see are 8x57 in my manuals

i found this maybe it will help?

I have come up with two simple solutions:1) Buy a Lee Sizing Kit in .329" diameter. Lee's product # is 90934. Buy the Speer .338" - 200 grain Spitzer Hot-Cor bullets. These particular Speer bullets have a softer core and thinner jacket than others I've tried. Using a liberal amount of case sizing lube, simply size the bullet down in the die according to die instructions. It takes a good press and some amount of force. DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, FORGET TO LUBE EACH AND EVERY BULLET!! After sizing, wash the bullets in a solvent that will remove all traces of lube. These bullets generally come out at around .330" - .331"; don't worry, it's close enough. Don't worry about the die, either - it's designed to size jacketed bullets. 2) Buy a Lee Sizing Kit in .329" diameter. Lee's product # is 90934. Cast your own or buy some 200 - 225 grain .338" bullets. They need to be as pointed as possible and fairly hard - I use 8 parts wheel weights/2 parts Linotype. Lube them with the Liquid Alox that comes with the Lee Sizing Kit, following the instructions enclosed. After they dry (read: the next day), size them as per instructions. If you want to gas-check the bullets, I find that I have better luck with the .338" checks by seating them in another pass - not while sizing the bullet. If you can get 8mm checks that will fit on the heel of your bullet, they can be attached during the sizing operation. I lube the bullets again after sizing - it's up to you.
    Load the cartridges in the usual fashion, using 48 grains of any 4350. Keep overall cartridge length at 3.0" as the Steyr is very finicky about OAL and bullet type. Spitzers are important - the rifle will often completely refuse to strip short rounds or blunt bullets from the magazine. After fire forming the cases, it is of the utmost importance that you resize the brass as little as possible. Back off your sizing die so that it sizes only most of the neck - just enough to hold the bullets in place firmly. These rifles headspace on the cartridge rim and often have absolutely HUGE chambers. Full-length resizing every time is guaranteed to cause head separations in only 3-4 loadings at most. Cases made from the 7.62X54R are a little bit shorter than the 8X56R brass, but since the cartridge headspaces on the rim and has no identifiable shoulder, this is of no consequence.

New brass is available from Bertram in Australia. I know that Midway USA carries it; I think that the Old Western Scrounger also has it. It's excellent brass, it's just expensive as hell. The same precautions about resizing fired cases apply to the Bertram brass as well - or maybe more so, considering its expense.

The following load data is completely safe in my 95, which has a slightly dark but strong bore. I have not chronographed it, as my Chrony took a hit from shrapnel peeled from a bullet by a ported barrel. I really need to get it fixed.
    Load Recipes:1) Speer 200 Hot-Cor Spitzer, resized to .330", 50.0 grains of any 4350, Winchester LR primer.2) Cast gas-checked 225 resized to .330", 45.0 grains of any 4350, Winchester LR primer.3) Cast gas-checked 225 resized to .330", 56.0 grains (or as much as you can get in the case and still seat the bullet) of Accurate 8700, Winchester LR primer. This is a very low-pressure loading and is great for the cast bullets.
    I can write a book on modifying stuff to allow you to trim the Bertram brass ( I doubt that the S&B or Winchester will ever grow enough to need trimming), modifying dies, etc. - I do it all the time to allow me to reload obsolete ammo for people so that they can enjoy their old guns.

[​IMG] m95 Message ForumMaintenance Pages Steyr-Mannlicher m95 disassembly/reassemblyLOW BANDWIDTH VERSIONHIGH BANDWIDTH VERSIONSteyr-Mannlicher m95 bolt disassembly/reassemblyLOW BANDWIDTH VERSIONHIGH BANDWIDTH VERSIONResizing 7.62x54r brass to 8x56rLOW BANDWIDTH VERSION
    General Maintenance
    Click Here
    m95 Range Reports
    Click Here!
    Related Book Reviews
    Coming....
    [​IMG] File Downloads
    Steyr-Mannlicher m95 disassembly/reassemblyLOW BANDWIDTH VERSIONHIGH BANDWIDTH VERSIONSteyr-Mannlicher m95 bolt disassembly/reassemblyLOW BANDWIDTH VERSIONHIGH BANDWIDTH VERSIONResizing 7.62x54r brass to 8x56rLOW BANDWIDTH VERSION
    All File Downloads
    Click Here[​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  4. pakm

pakm Guest

8x56R

It's not even close to 8x57. Don't even try it. Yes, I load both.
    try 35gr's of H4895. it you can find lead bullets try 13 gr's of red dot or 16'grs of acc. 2400.
    Yes, I got my brass from Graf and sons and the Hornady .329 bullets from them also.
    I've got berdan berdan primers and I've reloaded the 1938 and 1939 grass but it's quite brittle and it splits the necks about 20% of the time.
    Pat