Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my father in laws property here in soviet NJ he is having quite a problem with ground hogs. The problem is that you can only get about 150 yds from them and the spook into their holes. Now we cannot use any kind of rifle. and muzzle loaders are limited to .36 and below. I have lobbed .20 ga slugs with very little success. Is there any thing you guys can think of besides "anti-freeze" on corn that can help me get rid of them.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
that's a tough one. If you can get with 100 yards I'm sure the slug would do the trick. Have you looked into any traps?

·
Registered
46 Posts
DY NO MITE LOL reason no 437 not to live in the peoples republic of N.J. ( my kids live in N.J. their not smart enough to move either )

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The problem with traps here in NJ is that if on private property, the local game commission has to be notified every time an animal is trapped and disposed of. It is really a pain in the butt.

DY NO MITE LOL reason no 437 not to live in the peoples republic of N.J. ( my kids live in N.J. their not smart enough to move either )
Trust me as soon as I can I am moving to Ky. Waiting on transfer.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Well I guess you have a problem. Can you have a rifled slug gun? If so you might do ok with sabot slugs. If you have to buy a .36 caliber muzzleloader and try to hit him I dobt you'll have sucess but you can try.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
I use mostly centerfire rifles for groundhogs,and set the firearm up and load the ammo with almost as much precision as if I were shooting competition.But I have used enough rimfires to know they can be very effective on varmints at 150yds and under,especially the .22wmr.The one big problem is riccochets,as the rimfire bullets dont seem to blow up like varmint bullets in centerfires. sam.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
You can't use any kind of rifle?? not even rimfire?? if you can use rimfire i would go 22wmr or 17hmr, otherwise i would say you need to practice the army crawl! lol

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
well if you cant use rifles i sugest finding out its daily cycle and then sit out by its hole (hidden so he cant see you) and light it up when he comes out

·
Premium Member
1,555 Posts
Is there not some kind of poison that will work on those things? I know the rat poison used on rats these days is actually not poison but a blood thinner similar to what people take. A ground hog is many times bigger than a rat but you'd think some farm store would have something like that for the bigger rodents.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
I hate the thought of poisons.If you cant shoot or trap them,buy folding chairs and set them up and charge admission to watch them.I am sure you will get plenty of animal rights activist,s. sam.

·
Registered
528 Posts
are you allowed to use rimfire rifles? like a 22lr? I don't see why a 22 lr can't hit them at 150 yards when my 22lr can make inch and a half groups at 100 yards. I would think most decent rimfires can still hit a ground hog size animal at 150 yards.

·
Banned
199 Posts
yeah but the problem is at 150 the energy isn't there for a hog and you don't want to hit "a ground hog size target" he wants to hit a orange size target use potassium cyanide and mix it with something it will eat

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no we cannot use rim-fires. I wish we could but it's shotgun only here. I did tag one at 175yds with my 20ga slug yesterday, but it was more like artillery then a precision shot. I guess I will just keep lobbing lead and hoping for the best. I did make a nice pink mist on impact.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
19,029 Posts
Wow--that doesn't make sense; slugs OK but .22 rimfire's not.

Stingers worked pretty well inside of 100 yds when I was younger in PA.

Maybe .410 bore rifled slugs ? -- They're fun to shoot out of the Judge, but probably wouldn't work in your situation.

Good luck.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wow that sucks! I'd say go with traps. After all, it is YOUR property, right? What the local game commision doesn't know won't hurt them.
Very true, however I am a federal law enforcement officer and even the slightest ticket/charge on my record and I will be working at Wal-mart or target.

·
Registered
417 Posts
get a scoped pistol! or just dumb a crapload of drugs/pills down the hole!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts