Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Thank you for your service to our country. We have a lot of Lee lovers on here so I will let them tell you about the kit.The last time,no matter what I said it was wrong. sam.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
myself, i would choose the RCBS rockchucker supreme kit for a starter set up. there are those that do like the Lee equipment, i however am not one of them.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
As a cheap way to start reloading that would get you there. The Lee are the lowest grade of reloading equipment. With the RCBS being the best, at least in my opinion. I guess you have to ask your self is this something that I want to try out and not get real serious about? If so get the lee. If you are serious about reloading I would get some good quality equipment. MidwayUSA - RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage Press Master Kit This is the kit Lefty recomended I think that it is a good starter kit.

Either way welcome back to the world of reloading.

Despoiler

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Just about every reloading press mfgr. makes a starter kit of some sort with the Lee being the cheapest to start with. Whichever kit you go with, you'll have to add a few things such as a case trimmer, dies, components, etc. I've used my Lee kit for several years with very few complaints, but others hate them for whatever reason. There are some good deals to be found on E-Bay, but I am pretty P.O.'ed at them for their recent decision to ban "anything used in the firing of a gun" I'd also suggest you take a look at Cabelas and Graf & Sons, they have a large selection of reloading stuff at pretty good prices. Thanks for your service!

Cabela's Official Website - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear at competitive prices.
Graf & Sons - Welcome

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didnt know ebay did that... I have been in Iraq for the last 10 months so Im a little out of touch. Well no more ebay for me.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
I'm going to advise against the Lee starter kit. Especially since you have reloaded before.

I have one, and I used to tell people it was great for beginners. But I've found the powder thrower and scale to be pieces of crap. Very inconsistent and I don't think I ever could really trust them. Made me doubt my handloads and that is not the feeling you want as you pull the trigger.

I would say look for a good press, and buy a Hornady scale (check midsouthshooterssupply.com). They have a good one that comes with a powder trickler and funnel along with the scale, it's like 50 bucks. Buy some shell holders, dies and Lee case trimmers for your caliber(s) and some Hornady one shot case lube spray and you should be just about set. Good luck, let us know what you decide.

And thanks for serving.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks For Your Service, and glad you will son be returning home. I have used lee equipment before and like some of it, Primer, Case trimmer, etc, but think that I would use RCBS Press, also seen a Lyman Starter KIt for about $150.00

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
First let me also say a big, "THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME IN SERVICE".

I started with the Lee starter kit. I have loaded many a round with it. I did break the press on a stuck shell case, but the replacement part was less than $5.00. My son uses it now.

I now have an RCBS Rockchucker press and an Ohass 5-0-5 scale. I use the power dump to get close and then trickle to the exact charge I need.

I have the Lee auto primer with the shell holder set (red) and the shell holder set (green) for the press.
I have the wooden reloading trays from Midway USA. I like'em better than the plastic ones.

The "One Shot" spray case lube is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Put 50 cases in a loading block, spray'em and you have 50 lubed cases in less than 10 seconds.

Keep your spirits up and your head down.

Welcome home,

Nick

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yep and there's allot of good priced digital scales out there they put even the best bar scale to shame I think. Depends on your money, we know you don't get rich doing what you are for us, nothing wrong with starting with the Lee Aniv. Kit.
And Thanks

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
i hate the lee scale.
the rest of it is alright though
the primer and the trimmer i use all the time.

they make the best dies in my opinion
however i have only tried 3 brands of dies

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
I still use every component that came with my Anniversary kit. To be totally honest though, I use the powder measure very little, I find it easier to place the pan on my digital scale, dump a "just under" load with one of the powder scoops and trickle up to the desired weight. I use the scale to verify my digital scale, and it's been very accurate when used correctly. The Lee is a good starting point, but there are tools that will speed up your reloading process. The powder measure has a reputation of leaking when using really fine powders, but I've not had that problem with mine.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Since you will be loading for Many years to come, Buy Good Quality Equipment Now and it will last a lifetime.
I figured I would be loading thousands of rounds over the years so I bought Separate components and put together what I wanted for a "kit".
Lyman Turret Press with 6 holes for 2 to 3 calibers at a time.
RCBS Scales, dies, Shellholders, Lube pad, and Powder measure.
Lee Auto prime unit with full set of shellholders, Super fast way of priming lots of prepped cases.
A couple of reloading trays, a primer pocket cleaner, case neck brush, and I was off and running.
Next I bought a Midway Tumbler and media.
I still Use the Turret press and it has served me well for over 30 years.
I am not a big fan of some LEE stuff like their Handloader sets, but some of it is OK.
Rich

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Lee Anniversary kit is a great place to start.

It makes the decent stuff you replace most of it with seem all the better :p

I`m with Bill, I use the trimmer, the primer, the actual press and dies. I`ll use the press, and I`ll get a Lee Chalenger to keep it company.

But yeah, I`ve bought way ( thats WAY! ) better scales ( Lyman 500 ) and powder thrower ( Redding 3BR )

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
i lent out my lee press and only use my ancient lyman now which i use lee dies in

·
Registered
424 Posts
That's what I started with and it works great...but it's slow. I bought another, cheaper Lee press (press only) to set about 18" from it. that way I can deprime and resize with the first, and move it to the second to bell it for the bullet. Then I have to re-prime the cases and after changing dies, I can press the bullet on one and crimp it on the second. Works...but still slow. I am looking for a turret type press. Think and shop before you buy. Buy something that will be fast enough to satisfy you so you won't have several presses in use. My two cents.

Dave :ugh1:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I will go with Lee turret press kit when they are on sale for about $75 to $90 from Midway or Nazhes . How do you plan to keep your powder , brass, primers , bullets in the barrack ?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts