Good two way radios?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by TACAV, May 16, 2008.

1. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good set of 2 way radios?

I figure if the cell towers or power etc go off line, Id still want a way to communicate with people in my bug out party if we should happen to separate.

There seem to be alot on the market but I wondered if anyone had any personal expirience etc.

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  2. mosquitofish

mosquitofish Guest

you get what you pay for. most are only good( line of sight) for a mlie or two. good luck

3. Also remember that if you use a radio you can be tracked and most anyone with basic equipment can hear what you're saying.
    If you use a radio keep broadcasts short and have a code of some sort to keep 'them' from knowing where you are or where you might be going.

4. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Go to Radio Shack online and read up.

5. damage855

damage855 G&G Newbie

I have several different types of radios I use. What are you looking to spend and how many radios you whant? I will try and point you in the best direction.

6. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Guest

7. Otter

Otter Guest

The best way to go would be to use dual band HAM radios, 2 meter 70CM. They can be modified to transmit outside the HAM bands, they can be used with or without a PL tone, you can use DTMF paging. They can be used with repeaters, simplex, or duplex. They are direct entry programmable, Stay away from the Radio Shack radios, go with Yeasu (Vertec Standard,) Kenwood, Icom, or Illinco. Most have extended receive right out of the box, after a simple modification they will transmit on the public service,
    Business, and marine bands. Most of the mobile multi band radios will cross band repeat, allowing the user to use a handheld radio through the mobile to extend range. The UHF side will operate on GMRS & FRS bands, making them compatable with the store bought FRS & GMRS radios most people buy for hunting.

8. Go get a CB and bump it up. You can get it worked on and take it to the legal limit. At night you can us the "skip" and get some real distance from it. The ham radio is good too but you will need a license to operate one.

9. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Whatever it was that Otter said sounds good! LOL!

10. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Thanks for the comments everyone, was looking for small hand held types. Not sure how much Id be willing to spend but probably a bit more of they are of good quality. I dont know about the HAM radios as I would need to get my license etc.

11. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Ham Radio

TACAV: Sir; the Ham license has relaxed. No longer is 'code' a requirement.
    2 meter 70c will cover the world. Broadcast such as CB can be done with powered accessory.

12. Otter

Otter Guest

The biggest problem with CB is the AM mode, AM sucks and the HF bands are dead right now. Even after having the radio peak tuned you'll be lucky to get a few miles with it.
    The Tech class Amateur license allows you to use all the HAM bands from 6 meter and above, the General class license will give you priveliges on the HF bands, the morse code requirement has been dropped for all classes of license.

13. Punisher

Punisher Guest

Man I didnt know HAM radios were that good. That license sounds like a good thing to look into. But hey in a real world situtation if you start using a HAM without a license who is really going to give you problems if your saving there lives. I think the FCC will have bigger problems than illegal radio use. LOL.

14. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Guest

15. damage855

damage855 G&G Newbie

HAM radios are nice but if you are looking to keep it simple and cheap just ge some UHF family type radios with privacy codes. they work well and are easy to come by I have radios from CB to VHF high and unless you have a repeater set up the range is about the same. Another obtion I have started using that is a little more secure from scanners is a Nextel phone most have a off network trasmitting capability now called direct talk it is digital and you can use the other person 7 digit phone number as a security code an supposedly noone can here you. my brother and I used this when we go backpacking out of servicw area and it works quiet well.

16. Choco

Choco Guest

I FRS radios are nice,if you want to transmit GRMS legally,you have to be licenced,CB is a good non licence radio.

17. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

I bought a pair of two-way radio's before deer season this season for around $65. Found the best bargain at Wal Mart for a set with a 5 mile range. The batteries were of a higher quality, which allowed the charge to last throughout the weekend. I was transmitting through heavy timber in hilly area's, too.

18. JMcDonald

JMcDonald Suspended

I just payed $16 from ebay for a pair of Cobra 6-mile two-way radios, which was a pretty common price (they went from about $15 to about $25 IIRC). Haven't had a chance to test them but from what I hear Cobra is a pretty good brand so I am not expecting too much shorter range than the 6 miles advertised.

19. Hey guy,
    I am a ham radio operatror, 25 years. The frs handhelds will do the trick for short range. Get rechargeable batteries and a small solar charger to re-charge with. Keep everything simple.
    Mike