Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that you all are very busy, but I have somewhat of a mystery on my hands.

A number of years ago, my grandfather, gave me I have a Marlin Model 80 .22. The only markings on the barrel are as follows: on line one: Marlin Firearms Co. Model 8 on line two: New Haven Conn. U. S. A. 22 S-L-LR. There is no serial number or any patent dates. I took the butt plate off and there is nothing underneath it. The outside of the barrel is badly pitted, but overall it is in good shootable shape. Can you tell me anything about this rifle? Also, I do not have a magazine/clip for it. Can you tell me where I might find a magazine for it?

· Wonderment :)
36,837 Posts

· Registered
5,336 Posts
The Marlin model 80 is a fine little shooter. It's an old design, dating from 1941. You might be able to spot a date code on the underside of the barrel, which will tell you when it was manufactured.

They are not expensive, even in near mint condition. Mine is good condition and I think I paid $85 for it a few years back. And at $85 I probably overpaid.

Magazines can be had on Gunbroker or ebay or gunsamerica. They are not inexpensive, but you might find a good deal with some patience.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

· Registered
5,546 Posts
^^^I have a Marlin Model 80DL, it is pre-68 has nsn and it is pre- microgroove rifling..these are nice accurate iron sighted rifle from when we were young...YMMV! Great rifles! When Marlin was in North Haven, CT they made great rifles..as Jim aluded to...when we think of arms today we need to learn their lineage...there are so many variants of make and model it can boggle the mind...trying to nail when a particular vintage piece was made can be daughnting but it can be done.

· Registered
10,887 Posts
^^^I have a Marlin Model 80DL, it is pre-68 has nsn and it is pre- microgroove rifling..these are nice accurate iron sighted rifle from when we were young...YMMV! Great rifles! When Marlin was in North Haven, CT they made great rifles..as Jim aluded to...when we think of arms today we need to learn their lineage...there are so many variants of make and model it can boggle the mind...trying to nail when a particular vintage piece was made can be daughnting but it can be done.

All ya need to know is the two-letter code on the underside of the barrel
and thisn tell ya what year it was made.
Hint, the code is NOT the JM in a circle...that's the John Marlin Maker's Mark.

· Registered
2,097 Posts
My Dad had a Marlin model 80 that he purchased sometime in the late 1950's to 1962 that he gave me before he passed that unfortunately sat in a closet for years and wasn't in the best shape when I got it. Very nice little 22 bolt guns IMO.

Anyway, I got it back to close to it's Original shape and needed a feed ramp and a screw for the feed mechanism (Tube fed) and had good luck finding parts on Numrich.com -

Here's a link to their Model 80 parts, Mag's are showing out of stock, but if you need any other parts they are likely your best bet (I know they've saved my Butt a few times are hard to find parts for older guns!).
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/search#query=marlin 80

Here's a few pics of the before and after of my Dad's old Model 80 for any Marlin Lover's out there! :D

Firearm Gun Rifle Trigger Air gun
Shotgun Metal Wood
Gun Rifle Trigger Air gun Shotgun
Gun Firearm Trigger Air gun Wood
Gun Trigger Air gun
Gun Shotgun Air gun Trigger Revolver
Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun
Firearm Gun Rifle Trigger Air gun

· Registered
12,716 Posts
I didn't see any plastic tid bit's and doo-dad's like the new Ruger has.

I'm beginning to think they are designing many of the newer rifles to have a finite life span on purpose.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.