Got a savage 10-fp

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Big Tool, May 17, 2008.

1. Big Tool

Big Tool G&G Newbie

MS
    Wifey got me a new savage 10fp in 308 for my birthday. It is the tactical model with the 20" barrel. I love the little gun and will mainly be using it for target shooting and possible deer hunting this winter.

The tirgger is the best of any rifle i've ever felt. No creep and light as a feather.

Now i've got to get some glass for it. I'm thinking about getting the mueller 8.5x25 with the mil dot reticle.
    8.5-25×44AO Tactical • Mueller Optics

2. Paul T

Paul T G&G Newbie

Thats a real fine thunder stick. I have a 110 fp in 25-06 but wish they did one in 260 Rem. Enjoy makin those tiny holes.

3. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

B.T.,
    now you see why i was raving about how nice they are.
    i really like mine .
    accurate?
    oh yes!

P.S. mueller all the way!

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  4. Seabeescotty

Seabeescotty G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I bought a model 10LE, four years ago, and the **** thing is accurate! Mine is in .308 also, and eats match grade ammo with a passion. The only problem is the recoil. The 20" barrel has to be the reason it kicks so hard. I've contacted Savage about a 26" barrel, but they said I'd have to send the rifle to them. Maybe now, with my official papers, they'll send me what I need. Oh, I stuck a Nikon 4.5 to 14X40 mildot on top, and it takes the recoil without a problem, stays right on, adjustment wise. I do like shooting the little beast!

5. billy

scotty,
    thats why i put that big/heavy choate stock on mine.
    i even filled the compartment in the p-grip with lead shot.
    the recoil doesnt faze me now.
    i wouldnt want to carry it anywhere but......

[​IMG]

6. Seabeescotty

Darn Billy, you got my rifle's brother! I figured it was heavy enough, without adding to it. But, maybe I'll try some lead as well. I'm not toting the dang thing much farther than the bench, anyway!

7. billy

that compartment is kinda worthless anyway because you need a screwdriver to get into it.
    might as well put some weight in it.

mine goes from my safe
    to the truck
    to the bench.

8. Seabeescotty

I thought about using it for storage, but I lost my leatherman up in the Sierras, and haven't replaced it yet, so putting anything useful in there would not be helpful, only irritating. I've tried to get a picture of the muzzleblast, but haven't been successful, yet. I've noticed, when it lights of, it looks like a cannon!

9. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Gotta love that 10FP! I want one!

10. Seabeescotty

I have to admit, Savage has come out with a great trigger, and coupled with that mini-cannon, it's a heckuva combination. I'm gonna try some lead in mine and see if it tames the recoil, like Billy said it did for his Savage.

11. utahvarminter

utahvarminter Guest

Been having fun at the range with mine, and been getting 1/2 MOA with Hornady Match 168gr BTHP.

12. billy

well ,
    it didnt eliminate the recoil of course but between that heavy ol stock and a coupla handfuls of lead in the p-grip it sure doesnt bother me!

13. jv101

jv101 G&G Newbie

i put a limbsaver on my factory stock. works like a charm. should beable to get good groups now... Probably going to put some lead shot into the hollow butt of the stock

all in all the savage 10fp is the best choice. although the remington 700 is up there.. 10fp>700

14. SilverRun

SilverRun G&G Enthusiast

MS
    I think this is on my list for sometime next year... few more semiautos to buy this year. I put a Muller Tac II on my DPMS LR-308. I really like it.

15. Paul T

Paul T G&G Newbie

Well I went to the range yesterday and even in 25-06 after 50 rnds its time to take a break. Speaking of break ever think of putting one on??
    It really tamed down my 300 wmag. My smithy does his own and at around a hundred bucks to boot. Works like a charm He is over in Wagoner Scotty you maight know him.

16. jv101

jv101 G&G Newbie

^^ thats another good idead^^

however i would def. suggest looking into getting a limbsaver recoil pad (got mine at walmart for $31) when they say it cuts down recoil by almost half, they arent kidding..and if that doesnt take enough away drop some leadshot in there... that way you spend like $40 vs $100+.. just my .02

17. Otter

Otter Guest

I have the model 10 FP LE2 in .308 with a Millet 4X16X56 mildot. I would get a good 10 power scope if I were going to do it again. With the mildot reticle you can estimate range based on 10 power.

18. Seabeescotty

Otter, my nikon has a setting on it for use of the mildot, but I'm not much of a math whiz anymore, so kentucky windage is where I've been doing pretty good. I'm gonna have to check out the limbsaver, and get a bag of buckshot, 'cause I sure like the rifle, except for the recoil. It's nice to see that I'm not alone, enjoying this particular rifle. It is a shooter!!!!

19. varmit_slayer

varmit_slayer Guest

I love my 110 fp! I don't shoot it that much because the 300 WM is a little strong on the shoulder. It is still a very accurate gun for the price.

20. GMCGUY

GMCGUY G&G Newbie

Nice choice of gun, gotta love the accutrigger. A 110fp is in my future. I like reaching out and touching stuff :09: