close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Got Back Home-Went Straight To The Range!

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Hans R Colt, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Hans R Colt

Hans R Colt G&G Newbie

The first thing I did was go straight to the range w/ my No4 !

I took my usual South African Ball and I've scoped the rifle with a Blazer(Simmons) 4-16 x 40 AO.

It seems to shoot differently now that I replaced the bolthead with a #2...not as accurate as before, but I didn't check my screws, although I loctited the band screws and action screws too. The best I could do at 600 yards was chest and groin shots.

The local P.D. was foolish enough to put out a steel 3/4 silhouette at that range, thinking no one would see it...HA HA!
    I couldn't duplicate any head shots like before from another similar target at 700 yards.

And, since the bullet trajectory of .303 is closer to a .45-70, I ran out of elevation clicks so the farthest I could zero was at 400 yards...so if anyone was thinking of putting a Blazer on their Enfield, beware...

My friend was there with a Mosin M39 that was tricked out with scope and synthetic stock, and with his homemade loads was getting 3-shot groups of 3/4 inch(he was using .308 bullets), with 2 flyers widening the group to 1 1/2". He was puzzled by this until I told him that his "D" bore M39 used .310-.311 bullets!
    Then he had a V-8 moment!

2. vodkazombie

vodkazombie G&G Newbie

Yeah, the D bore is a tricky beast. Please tell your friend that mine loves the Remington 170 grain .311 Core-Lokts... and 40 grains of H380. Remington 9 1/2 primer, this load works very good for me.

Still, a nice group considering the .308 bullets. Not bad, not bad!

3. Hans R Colt

Hans R Colt G&G Newbie

Vodkazombie, Thank You for your "Secret Combo!" I'll e-mail my friend immediately!

He was using IMR medium-rate powder, 48 grains, pushing a 200-grain Lapua bullet with Norma cases. I'm thinking the twist rate on the barrel wouldn't stabilize that bullet enough once outside the barrel, and would probably stop yawing at @ 200 yards and finally straighten out and take off yelping! He didn't shoot any targets past 100 yards; that 200-grainer won't show it's true ability until it gets to around 250-300 yards.

Too bad he wasn't trying for that steel silhouette at 600 yards-he would probably surprise himself.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2002