Got mad today....

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by oneastrix, Sep 10, 2002.

1. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

I was sitting at an intersection and there was a
    panhandler" begging for money on the corner. He was holding a sign that read, "Going hungry.Please Help!" I observed several subjects giving him money out the window of thier respective vehicels.

About an hour later I left the station and drove to a convenient store adjacent to where he had been asking for money. Walked in and saw the dude standing in line with an 18 pack of beer and nothing else. SOB!

2. Lenny2

Lenny2 Guest

1*, you shoulda grabbed the beer and told him you were going thirsty. :)

3. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

Oh, roger that Lenny! Thank you. You gave me the response I needed. I was still sitting here hotter than a two dollar pistol over the whole thing! Now I'm laughing! Wife is happy with ya too because I'm not ranting and raving now!

4. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

That's why I never intend to contribute to their problem. It's been verified by some news reporters (if you can believe them) that some panhandlers make a fairly good income from suckers. For them it beats working. They're just taking the public for a roll.

Oxford

5. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Another thing oneastrix:

Hang loose...relax...take a deep breath...after each drink of beer. That panhandler is somebody else's problem now.

Also...think about those new boots. Who's *** you gonna kick first. (ha)
    Oxford

6. Mon Bathan

Mon Bathan Guest

Me I really do not give ams to people like that, I'd rather give them food if they ask for food just to put my contribution or goodwill on the safe side.

There are really soft hearted people who can barely deny people who may seem in need. I respect them. However, if they will just think, they may really not be helping them. WHY? In my point of view, the act of receiving ams from people defeats a person's will to find work, to earn for themselves, and provide for their needs. If they are able to raise money the easy way, not through hard or decent work or means, they will not struggle anymore to find a new job or other means to earn a decent living. Life is difficult and giving ams to panhandlers may give them the wrong impression and eventual belief that life can be made easier if they go the other way around.

I can be wrong but I urge you not to submit to the panhandlers' misbelief of begging for things or money they can rightfully have...ONLY IF THEY FIND A WAY! Just a thought.

Mon

7. Klaus

Klaus Guest

I have been cussed out before for actually offering food and work to "Will work for food" types, rather than handing over cash.

8. Calvin

Calvin G&G Evangelist

We were at a restaraunt a month ago when a guy comes over and asks for money because he left his wallet at home and he needed to get some gas to get home on. He said he'd gladly send the money back, if we wanted him to. Just leave an address for him.
    I walked outside while my brother-in-law questioned the guy. I found another guy, on the other side of the restaraunt working the room with a note saying he was deaf and needed money to get home with.
    Called the local police, and that was the end of them. Both guys had complaints against them for pestering other places of buisness close by.
    Makes it hard to give to the people who really need it, because you cannot trust anyone anymore.

9. Mandy

Mandy FREE CITIZEN Forum Contributor

:assult: :assult: :assult: :assult: :assult:

I just don't give money away period unless the person in question has some kind of visible disability like a missing limb or something like that.
    Anyone can write something in a piece of cardboard and ask for money anywhere.
    About 1 or 2 years ago, there were this people asking for money at a traffic light with the picture of this girl who is suposed to be sick, fighting for her life.
    Guess what, last week I saw the same picture, all faded and old with a bunch of people doing the same thing.
    I don't know if these are the same people but I do remember the picture with the same message.
    I think this is a scam because nobody can be that sick for 2 years and look the same, at least they should have changed the picture with a newer one and change the message and maybe some people will buy it again.

:assult: :assult: :assult: :assult: :assult:

10. Stewart

Stewart Guest

It's really a shame, but it's the scam artists like these which make less and less people give. When I lived in N.Y. we never gave money to the Bowery bums because you just knew they would buy more booze, these people had a real addiction problems. The ones that really get me are the ones with fake illnesses or fake sick children.

11. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

carry a card directing them to the nearest soup kitchen.

12. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

When I've seen people with a sign like that I buy them a sammitch and do not give them money. Then I know they are eating and not getting filled up on hops and barley!

13. Doglips

Doglips Guest

I seen one today dressed in desert camflage..standing on the side of the road waveing a flag...on 9/11 with a sign asking for $$....wife would not let me run him over.....to think Im the social worker...and it pissed me off....:)

14. wes

wes Guest

I was eating breakfast at a sidewalk cafe in New Orleans a few years back and had a wino hit me up for some money so he could get something to eat. I told him to sit down and I'd buy him breakfast,(and I would have),all of a sudden he wasn't so hungry. Oh well.

15. I tried to give a bum a job once to earn some money. He was supposed to show up at 8:00 am. I was going to pay him $50 for about three to four hours of work. He didnt show so I drove to the street corner and there he was, still panhandling. I confronted him and he told me that he would make more money standing on the corner than working. That was the last time I ever tried to help any of them. If one asks me for money, I'm down right rude to them and tell them to get lost.

16. colt45

colt45 Guest

when I see the signs "will work for food " I just ask then why aren't you? Had one dude try and stab me for this coment, go him a broken jaw for his eforts, really is drinking his lunch now.