Got my K-31 today!

Discussion in 'Swiss Rifles' started by killsnapz, Sep 29, 2010.

1. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Evangelist

Well my K-31 arrived today. I actually missed the UPS guy when he first attempted to deliver it. I looked out the window just as he pulled away and went down the road! Fortunately he must not have been overloaded today because he was nice enough to make a second stop at my house later and I was a very happy man. Here she is. All number matching Walnut stock with an excellent bore!
    [​IMG]
    The troop tag
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Really cool stripping on the upper hand guard!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Nice cartouche on the butt stock
    [​IMG]
    She does have a boo boo. It looked worse when I saw the picture. A small amount of pressure closes it right up. I'll probally glue it up and try to find a way to pin it for strengh from the inside. So what do you guys think of her?

Michael

2. YEEEHAWW!

That split is an easy fix, you got one fine looking rifle there. That a K31 will be a shooter is a given.

3. Nice acquisition, you're gonna really like it when you get it out to the range. Makes a fine deer rifle too as I have killed 2 deer with mine using handloads.

4. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

That looks great Michael. I have fixed splits like that by drilling and then glueing in a small diameter hardwood dowel and clamping it till dry.. Where that one is split you can probably do a repair that will hardly be visible.

5. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Evangelist

Thanks Cheapblaster! Now I just have to save up the next couple of weeks for one of the scope mounts that Latigo has posted about in the scope thread and a 480 pack of GP-11.

Were not allowed to shoot deer around here with a rifle Mouser. Only bow and arrow. They actually walk right into my yard all summer long and try to eat all of the flowers in the garden. I will be punching alot of holes in some paper with it though.

Michael

6. Link23

Link23 G&G Newbie

i was just busting clays at 400 yards (on the ground) with irons

7. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Evangelist

I have never done a stock repair but I am a very handy guy with every tool you could thing of in the garage. So if I understand you would drill straight through the stock from the outside at an angle that would allow you to sink the dowel into a thicker part of the stock? It does seem to make sense then just sand the dowel flush and touch it up for color. It also help that it is on the bottom. You can only see it if you turn the rifle upside down.

Michael

8. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Evangelist

Thats why I am going to scope mine because I know this rifle is way more capable than my eyes.

Michael

9. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Just judging by the picture Michael I would be sure the wood tissue in the split was clean and grease free. I would then squeeze a waterproof glue into the split with a hypodermic needle. I would then apply a clamp with enough force to close the split.(protect the wood so your clamp doesn't mar the wood) I would then drill from the end where the sling swivel or band is lenghtwise into the split. Force a little glue into the hole you drilled and drive a dowel into it. If you sand a flat side on the dowel and angle the end slightly that goes in first the excess glue will have a way to get out. after it dries trim the exposed end and the band should cover the repair.

10. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

Really nice looking K-31!

11. frenchy

frenchy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

She's ah sweet Swiss Miss Micheal! Wood glue with a aliphatic resin [spelling?] base, use plenty, blow in deep with air nozzle, clamp firm, wipe excess off ASAP with damp cloth, let dry at Least 24hr, injecting with needle before blowing with air is good if needle is large enough to allow glue to flow freely [ experiment first] The K31 is a must have for me, yours is great buddy!
    frenchy

12. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Evangelist

Thanks Frency. I really wanted a Walnut stock and it tokk a while but I found one. I can't wait to scope her.

Michael

13. Nice find, I would use some TightBond with the right type of pressure clamping with a pipe close to the inner diameter of the wood you could create temporary brace to clamp it too, wrap the pipe with some modeling clay that is firm with some wax paper around that so it form fits, then after cleaning the crack out with something strong like 90 percent alcohol and an acid brush or something close, then glue it and radiator clamp the whole thing using something to protect the wood like rubber matting or something, then just carefully screw down the clamp until it closes nice and tight.
    Don't forget to put some vaseline or something on each side of the clamp to prevent sticking.
    Anyway just thought I would give some pointers if you need ideas.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  14. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Evangelist

Thanks for the stock repair tips guys.

Michael

15. woody1981

woody1981 Love Your Firearms! Forum Contributor

Like your Karabiner, Michael.

16. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Evangelist

Thanks Woody!

Michael

17. Iron_Colonel

Iron_Colonel G&G Enthusiast

Beautiful! Congrats on your acquisition looks great. How is your stock repair coming along?

18. woody1981

woody1981 Love Your Firearms! Forum Contributor

Did you try to research the name on the troop tag? I wrote my guy, but did not get an answer. I know he is alive, since I tracked him down on the Internet. He should be just a few years older than me, but for some reason did not reply. I even sent pics of the rifle, tag, and me holding the rifle, hoping that I could wet his appetite. But he wasn't hungry!

19. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Evangelist

Colonel unfortunately the stock repair is still on the to do list. Right now I have a backlog of projects in my other obsession which is building 1/48 scale WWII airplanes. I have three kits about 50% done and I told myself no more new projects until I finish at least two of them. I also have a Enfield No1 Mk III that I have a nice take of stock for to replace the beat up one that was onit that needs to be fitted. It is all torn down and I need to steam some dents out thern apply some raw linseed oil to the stock so I can fit it to the metal. I did get my scope set up fitted to the K 31 Friday. Pictures are in the thread below.

Woody I have not tried to contact the soilder who previously owned it. I have to wonder though if they don't speak English they may not realise what the letter even is. I know from what I here many do understand English mabye I might get lucky. I would be pretty cool if you find out a personal history of the rifle and mabye even a picture!

Michael