close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Got some ammo, how to clean it

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by fisherboy111, Jun 9, 2011.

1. fisherboy111

fisherboy111 G&G Newbie

Hey, I bought 400 rounds of 7.62x54r and i was wondering what is the best way to clean it not in a tumbler, I don't have that. I was wondering if mineral spirits would damage the primer/gunpowder.
    Thanks, Fish

2. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

What are you needing to clean off of the ammo?

3. fisherboy111

fisherboy111 G&G Newbie

The ammo is really dirty, not sure what to call it, I guess a film of dirt?

4. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

If it is military surplus ammo the primers are probably sealed with a sealant as well as the bullet at the case mouth. If so a wipe down with mineral spirits on a rag would not be an issue. Live ammo can also be tumbled if you have a tumbler. If it is just dirt warm water and detergent would be ok as well.

PS: if the primers and case mouth are not sealed though I woul not immerse it in any liquids

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  5. BaserRonin

BaserRonin G&G Evangelist

CO
    Oily rag and an hour in front of the TV should be pretty good to. Mineral spirits shouldn't cause any damage, but I hate working with that stuff. Probably be okay if you soaked them, but I have never been brave enough to try it.

6. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    if they are only tarnished, just shoot them. if they have crud growing on them, throw em out. dont rub the ammo with anything oily!

7. KarlB

KarlB G&G Newbie

I agree with Lefty - if there's any sign of corrosion, dump them in
    a can of oil and leave them for a year or two! (That should deactivate
    the primers.)

Do not risk using questionable ammo!

KarlB

8. BaserRonin

CO
    I can guarantee rubbing factory ammunition with a slightly oily rag won't do any damage.

Just how delicate do you think factory ammunition is anyway?

9. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    a couple reasons oil and ammo dont mix. 1 is oil does bad things to primers and powder. 2, an oil film left on the ammo when firing can cause off the charts bolt thrust because the casing cant grab the chamber wall when its fired, and that is DANGEROUS!

10. jerry

jerry Patriotic Member Forum Contributor

USA
    I agree if it's a little tarnished, fire away. Dispose if bent, buckled, distorted, corroded, dented, wet, oily.

If your really motivated you can get a Lee trimmer chuck for a few bucks and chuck them up in an electric drill and lightly touch them with some 0000 steel wool. Don't have to worry about moisture, oil, or chemicals. You can probably do about 100 an hour.

11. If its the SGAMMO, 180 M30 Yugo stuff, I bought some as well. The dirt is grimy kinda like grease and gunk you would get on your hands if you changed a tire.

I took a disposable blue shop rag and then opened a 0000 steel wool, I dampened with Mineral spirits and would twist the ammo one at a time cutting the grime. Then with a second rag, I wiped with just plain water. Cleaned up decent and shoots fine, not bright and shiny like the previous M30 stuff, but a great price.

12. BaserRonin

CO
    Your first 2 statements are meaningless with factory ammo. The oil will not seep through into the powder or primer. The cartridges are sealed airtight. I am not sure why you think ammunition is so unstable?

As to your last point, you are correct, oil left on the case can cause excessive pressure due to the brass not fully adhering to the chamber wall. However, you would have to have a light coat of oil left on your brass for this to be a possibility. I never said to oil your ammo and leave them oiled. I suggested using a rag with a touch of oil to clean them. Afterwards I would wipe them dry, if for no other reason then to keep them from collecting dirt. I never in my wildest dreams would have thought someone would stick oily cartridges into their range bag and head out to fire them off. That wouldn't be to smart now, would it. However, using oil or mineral spirits to wipe down your cartridges is in no way, ever, going to seep through and get into your powder or primer. It really isn't even possible...

Edit: you know what. To end the argument forget I said anything. It never happened.

Use some fine steel wool (000, 0000) and rub em down. Use a rag or paper towel to wipe off any dirt/grit you free up with the steel and you should be fine.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  13. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

Where and when did you find that Yugo ammo, roggom? I can't find it around here and it's what my rifles shoot best.

14. Its this one, they are repacked into 18 round boxes. 7.62x54R | SGAmmo.com They are a little dirty though, but worth the price.

15. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Never , EVER , use any type of liquid or petroleum distillate on ammo...It can eat thru primer sealant , and bullet sealant, and cause misfires, etc, or contaminate the powder.Never use a Brass cleaner on brass cases because it contains ammonia and that will weaken the brass.
    Wipe them off with a clean cloth or use a scotchbrite pad (best)or fine steel wool on them...
    I vibrate tumble Loaded ammo for an hour or so in coarse lizard litter with no ill effects as we have discussed before...Then wipe them clean with a shop towel.

16. Ken in Iowa

Ken in Iowa G&G Evangelist

I would fear that in tumbling the powder would break down, altering the burning rate.

You have gotten away with this before Moose?

The Scotchbrite pad or steel wool sounds like a good plan though.

17. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

Post some pictures of said ammo. That will help us to help you.

18. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

We have a whole thread on this...
    Ammo is shipped by railcars (vibrating), By trucks, planes, dropped out of aircraft,and soldiers walking and running, etc. It gets vibrations any time it moves with NO ill effect...Powder kernels are graphite coated and that stuff sticks to anything. I test tumbled some ammo for 3 days with no ill effect and no change in powder size or velocity.

19. If it is Berdan primed, and you don't plan on using it again Brasso will do the trick.
    If it is regular brass, or if you plan to store it, tumble it.
    I let some tumble over night before, it shot fine.

20. Ken in Iowa

Ken in Iowa G&G Evangelist

Thanks Moose. I looked that thread up. Very controversial subject for sure.