Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Composite material

I have far too many 22s, lots of revolvers and pistols. I was not interested in the Wrangler because I have the stainless single six. However, this puppy is going to come to my house. Never owned a birds head of any type.

Here is the Ammo Land article on it. Ruger Announces New Birdshead-Style Wrangler Revolvers

No clue yet as to price, prolly about $250 street price.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My dad loves birdshead grips but he has smallish hands for a man. My local guy told me he stopped ordering them because they don't fit most of his clientele.
Maybe so. But I bet Ruger sells a bunch of them. 22 ammo is available and cheaper than anything else. The Ruger Wrangler took the country by a storm. Lots of folks want a single six but cannot or will not pay $600 for them. But at $200 people went nuts on them. That said, the little Bearcat is also a cool little gun, but few people pay $600 for a tiny single action 22, if this one is $200 or so, I just bet people will grab them up. I own at least a dozen 22 pistols, and sure do not need one. but I will grab the first one of these I see, just because they are a cool little cowboy gun that is cheap to buy and cheap to shoot. I expect all the cowboy action guys to buy them.

Wait about 6 months and see how hard they are to find and that will tell us the story. Anybody actually see any of them for sale?

Reactions: neophyte

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They hit Gunbroker but already sold out at $252 with holster.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Shotgun

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The scalpers have them now. The MSRP is $279, and they are $299. Figures. They are supposed to be $10 more than the regular Wrangler that is $179-$200 everywhere. I am going to wait until the scalpers get reasonable. Notice that these big name stores are over MSRP. These guns have been on the market 2-3 days and are sold out., except for the ones that are $300 (nearly $90 more than the wrangler)

Buds Gun Shop sold out, both with and without the holster package
MissouriGuns.net $280 with holster plus $19.95 shipping and $19 tax, or $318.
ImpactGuns $276 with holster Plus shipping plus tax
Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore $300 with holster Free shipping
Vance Outdoors $300 with holster Free shipping
Joe Bob Outfitters $239 without holster Ruger Wrangler Birdshead 22 LR 3.75" - Black Cerakote (joeboboutfitters.com)
Can order but the gun is on backorder. Free shipping
CenterFire Systems $242 sold out.

For single action nuts, there is another Ruger birds head out there that is called the "Carry Hawk" a Wiley Capp inspired gun that comes with 2 cylinders, 45 acp and 45 real Colt. It looks like this:
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Composite material

Maybe I should just forget the little 22 and buy this real gun for the birds head grip. LOL
New Model Blackhawk # 0477 Wiley's "Carryhawk" — TALO Distributors Inc (taloinc.com)

Of maybe just go ahead and get the Vaquero in 44 mag. It looks like this:

Watch Gun accessory Gun barrel Everyday carry Air gun

Just dreaming. I will grab the 22 when the price comes down.

• Haha
Reactions: neophyte

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I've been eyeing a Wrangler for a while and have been checking out the wood grips to replace the awful plastic ones. One of the local shops have been selling them for $199, but the bird head looks interesting too, so now I'm in a quandary.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been eyeing a Wrangler for a while and have been checking out the wood grips to replace the awful plastic ones. One of the local shops have been selling them for $199, but the bird head looks interesting too, so now I'm in a quandary.
They actually sell the wrangler now with wood grips. Some of them come with the wood grips and the Desantis holster and the package is about $259-$279 some places.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Recreation
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Personal protective equipment

They are in stock and $259 at J and G Sales. Not sure if everyone is familiar with J and G but they have been around forever. I bought a shotgun and a rifle from them and had great service. Ruger® Wrangler™ Revolver, 22LR, 4.62" Barrel, TALO Birdshead Edition with Holster, New. (jgsales.com) Plus shipping.

Sportsmans Guide stocks them but is out right now. I do not think they charge for shipping.

You can buy the gun for about $200 many places so that give you wood grips and a holster for $60 extra. If you buy a holster and grips separate you also get stuck with extra shipping charges for each. That holster is normally about $45.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That version would make a nice and basic kit/pack gun.👍
Yep it would. I also got a flier this morning on the similar American Heritage. They look cheap and I have not considered one. However, a buddy has one and says they are great. Some of them are as cheap as $105 this month with a rebate. And the little Herirage can take a 22 mag cylinder for and extra $29.95.https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/210682?utm_source=010122&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=010122. You can also get a Heritage that takes 9 shots, that is a good option.

Here is the little Heritage version. Either the Wrangler or the Heritage birds head would fit in that fishing bag, with snake shot. I looked at a regular Wrangler in a gun shop yesterday, it was sloppy loose, probably just a lemon, but I would not have bought it. You cannot have too many 22s, it is a natural law I think.

Trigger Air gun Revolver Gun accessory Gun barrel

·
Wonderment :)
35,596 Posts
information: 😁

Ruger Blackhawk Carryhawk .45ACP/ .45 Colt Revolver, 4″ Barrel, Wiley Clapp TALO Edition, Black Matte Carbon Finish – Ruger 0477
$757.56
Out of stock

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
I love the way the bird's heads look, they do not fit my hand at all, and I find them uncomfortable to shoot. I like the Bisley grip.

Reactions: Chef Duane

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Found one the other day at Ozark Armory for $269 plus tax.
Wood Bird's Head Grips and Holster. Felt great in the hand.
But not the wallet as I was there to spring my Ruger MKII Target out of layaway.
But someday soon.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Found one the other day at Ozark Armory for $269 plus tax.
Wood Bird's Head Grips and Holster. Felt great in the hand.
But not the wallet as I was there to spring my Ruger MKII Target out of layaway.
But someday soon.
The MSRP is $279, give it 6-8 months and they should be down to $229 or so. The Wranglers I have seen as low as $179 and they have an MSRP of $269, the birds head is only $10more. Then that Heritage one with both cylinders looks pretty good too. With the current rebate that gun is only $149 and then $30 for the mag cylinder looks pretty good too.

I also made a bad discovery. Ruger is now making s stainless steel birds head in a 7 shot 327 Federal. In addition to the 327 Federal Magnum you can fire 32 H&R Magnum, 32 S&W Long, 32 S&W, and 32 ACP. I do not know the price but guess over $600, and it weighs 32 ounces. Only 2 ounces more than the 22 and only about 1 inch longer. Never owned a birds head and now they all look good. Here is the 327 Federal one.

Trigger Gun barrel Air gun Gun accessory Composite material

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
I know that the .327Federal is no slouch for sure.
I was shocked when seeing data on it velocity wise.

I could literally dream up some wonderfully odd firearms for it.
But costs, market and reality then set in.
Like a true Desert Eagle scaled down to that cartridge.
Yeah thread drift I know.🤣

·
Wonderment :)
35,596 Posts
RetiredFreedomfighter: Sir; adding 😁

Ruger Single Seven 327 Federal Magnum Revolver
Lipsey's Exclusive Logo

This product photo may not represent the complete detail of the item being purchased. Please verify the product based on the model #, UPC #, description and specifications before ordering.
Skip Item Details
Ruger Brand Logo

LIPSEY'S EXCLUSIVE
RUKSSMBH-3-327
SINGLE SEVEN 327FED 3-3/4" FS
8163 7 SHOT/BIRDSHEAD GRIP
327 Federal Magnum
MANUFACTURER: Ruger
MFG MDL #: 8163
UPC: 736676081639
This item is in the Lipsey's Catalog, but that does not mean that it is currently available. Please contact a Lipsey's Dealer to order.
MSRP: $799.00

1 - 20 of 26 Posts