close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Government won't allow guns in cockpits

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, May 21, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Ok what do you all thing of this $hiT? No sense makeing air planes safe huh...

Government won't allow guns in cockpits

Announcement comes in response to question at Senate hearing

By Jonathan D. Salant | The Associated Press
    Posted May 21, 2002, 11:05 AM EDT

WASHINGTON -- The federal government said today that pilots will not be allowed to have guns in the cockpits of commercial airplanes.

The announcement was made at a Senate Commerce Committee hearing by John Magaw, undersecretary for transportation security. It followed months of debate over whether arming pilots would be a deterrent to hijackers.
    :fuss: :rolleyes:

2. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

I THINK ITS A BUNCH OF CRAPOLA! I E-MAILED THE WHITEHOUSE VIA A PRO GUN SITE TO ASK FOR PILOTS TO CARRY. IF I WASN'T 43 YRS OLD I'D BECOME A SKY MARSHAL. NEED ONE ON EVERY PLANE IF THEIR NOT ARMING THE PILOTS!

3. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

Thanks GW

Thank that great conservative 2nd amendment president we have.

4. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Hope the Pilots go on strike. I,for one, am sick and tired of the government telling us what we can and can't do.

5. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

There is a legal principle that if the government puts someone in harms way, it becomes liable for that person's safety. I do not remember what it is called. Normally it is applied to police informants and such. In the case of commercial air travel, I think that the Feds could be held liable in any further voilent crimes aboard aircraft. The Feds are putting people at risk by denying citizens the means to defend themselves in violation of the constitution, while at the same time publicly acknowleging the fact that more attacks are imminent and the government can not prevent them. Then the compound it by not even allowing the flight crew to be armed.

6. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

OH come one people I am absalutely sure that the goverment has our best intrest at hart. Besides its not like anyone would ever hijack an airplane and hurt inocent people....you'all just a bunch of gun nuts that think terrorist are out to get us....I mean if terrorist were going to attack I am sure the goverment would warn us.

7. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Doglips,you're right. I don't know what I was thinking.

8. JohnD

JohnD Member

Ok Guns in cock pit is all good. But if that is there only weapon than what if they just get a case of air rage and thats kinda useless to them. Maby an assortment of weapons like a tazer for some and a bullet for others.

Or a big club with lots of nails sticking out may deter most of the terrorists with knives.

If they have guns that may be enough deterent for them not to try it anyway so they may never have to use it.

9. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

I believe that the pilot should have the last opportunity to prevent disaster.

Doglips: You picked up on this news item fast. When I heard it earlier today I knew someone on G&G.Com would set up a discussion thread.

Anyway, if I'm a passanger and the plane's been hijacked and threatened with being shot out of the sky by the USA anti-terrorist forces, or whatever they're called, I would hope that the pilot had a ****ed good hi-powered gun, and was trained properly, to get at crack at the hijacker before the entire plane was blasted out of the sky.

I believe the pilot should have the last opportunity to prevent disaster.

Better yet...why not allow ffl carriers to carry guns on planes. They've been checked thoroughly before licensing. That might be even better than allowing terrorists to forcus strictly on the pilots.

Oxford

:assult:

Last edited: May 21, 2002