Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to be purchasing a Ruger GP100, .357 Mag. I'm having trouble deciding between a 3" or 4" barrell. I like the feel and design of the 3" better. However, I don't want to drop to the 3 if I'll be sacrificing accuracy. Whats everyones opinion on the accuracy of the 3" barrell vs. the 4"? Thanks.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
The only thing that will affect the accuracy will be the shorter sight radius. The 3" will lose a bit of velocity to the 4", but the shorter barrel won't affect accuracy and will add a lot in handling ability. It will also have more muzzle flash\blast and recoil will be a mite stouter. I'd get the one that you like the most and not worry about the small stuff. Good Luck!

·
Wonderment :)
33,862 Posts
4"

edaleuwg: You have chosen well. GP100 will give you many years of good service.
Given the two 3"-4" question of accuracy?
With the same amount of practice; you'll probably not notice a difference. [reality check] sight radius will play a part in any visual initially. Once you decide you can hit your target; it will be either or.
GP's are inherently accurate; solidly built. Neither the 3" or 4" will be very good CC units in the summer.
Winter okay. My preferences for the 4" are a personal choice; based on feel.
post your decisions. Thanks

·
Registered
159 Posts
Fixed vs. Adjustable Sights

An important thing to remember when deciding between the 3-inch and 4-inch GP100s is that the 3-inch barrel models have fixed sights, the 4-inch barrel models have adjustable sights.

Me personally, I love adjustable sights. Some people prefer fixed sights, saying they are more durable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts