Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandfather has a gun he calls "long tom". Its a sporterized mosin. Next time Im up to see him Ill look at the markings so I can come here and figure out what it is. It hasnt been shot in years, and Im wondering if after a good cleaning, what I should look for befor shooting it. The obvious answer is to take it to a gunsmith and have it checked out but gramps was the last to shoot it and it worked fine when he hung it on the rack years ago. Go ahead and call me a idiot if thats what im being by not taking it in. He has great stories about it. His dad gave it to him and told him that it was a russian navy gun. He could only get fmj ammo for it. the first deer he shot with it ran over the hill and a older gentelman in his hunting party shot it. Gramps shot had passed right through. When he tried to protest that he had shot the deer, his dad told him to back down and let the older man have it. After that he started fileing off the tips and using a small drill bit to make "hollow points" for hunting deer. Of course gramps stories change a little at deer camp each year but each year they are truth to him (grin).
So what do you think , clean her up and shoot her???

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Sounds like he was doing everything right, so you have no worries. A friend of mine had a Canadian Indian friend who would use 30-30s in his SMLE when 303 couldn't be found. This same fellow had manned an anti-aircraft gun in defense of England in the Second World War.

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
If something was shooting fine when my Granddad hung it up, I'd clean it up and take it out with no worries. If your Gramp had his stuff together at the time he hung up the Mosin, I'd say go for it. They're pretty indestructible anyway...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya, Its stories like the home made hollow points that make me want to shoot it. If it still shoots straight, Id like to take a deer with it, Just because he did. He quit hunting for many years and started up again when I wanted to try it 9 years ago. Hes 78 with bad hips and knees but still sits in the stand from sun up to sun down most days.
Any links to good directions for taking down the Mosin?
Thanks,
GDG

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Grogel said:
Ya, Its stories like the home made hollow points that make me want to shoot it. If it still shoots straight, Id like to take a deer with it, Just because he did. He quit hunting for many years and started up again when I wanted to try it 9 years ago. Hes 78 with bad hips and knees but still sits in the stand from sun up to sun down most days.
Any links to good directions for taking down the Mosin?
Thanks,
GDG
Check here Bro if you haven't already:
http://www.surplusrifle.com/
http://7.62x54r.net/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts