Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· <------------<<<-
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I posted in the What’s Going On With You thread, I brought home my grandpa’s old 572 yesterday. I grew up learning to shoot with this rifle, and I’ve shot many cans and bottles in the old burn pit. I think I even managed to shoot a few gophers and squirrels with it. Grandpa just shot a skunk with it out at the farm this summer, he said.

It looks to have been built in November of 1955. It’s lived a rough life. It spent time in the tractor, in the truck, I imagine in the garage, also.

I’m excited to tear it down and clean it out. Grandpa suggested I do that to fix a little hitch in the action.

Wood Automotive exterior Bicycle part Bumper Rim

Writing implement Office supplies Office equipment Shotgun Tints and shades

· <------------<<<-
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it’s rough. I found the barrel was loose, but I tightened a screw and that took care of it. The stock is cracked where it meets the receiver, and there’s a chip at the bottom of that part. The fore end looks like it was refinished, but the varnish is starting to wrinkle and chip off. However, the bore is bright and shiny!

· <------------<<<-
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took the butt stock off last night to see if the crack is fixable. It looks like it will be, but I think my grandpa took a tumble with it at some point. As I unscrewed the stock screw, the whole butt stock wobbled in a circle. It’s the last half inch of screw, so straightening it will be tough. I’ll try getting a coupling nut and heating the end. I’ll bend it back, then I’ll screw the nut over the affected area to straighten it out further. I’m not sure when I’ll get to this, but it’s another item on the list!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts