Gun and Game Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
Welcome from Virginia. (temporarily in Florida)
Right now the most plentiful ammo where I am is from Russia, though I suspect the brand name "Red Army Standard" is actually made in Poland. I shoot mostly Tula ammo in my AK63 rifle. I have never had reliability problems with Russian ammo, though many ranges will not allow it because of the steel, unreusable cases.
All other ammunition is expensive and hard to come by.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Which weapon manufacturer is considered to be a good one for you? Build quality and workmanship of parts?
Good question. I believe we are a little spoiled because there are (or was until recently) many very good quality manufacturers. It also depends on which type of weapon, such as revolver or lever action rifle, for example, and then it is often more of personal preference more than which is actually better. Because of the competition created in a free market environment there are actually many good manufacturers as the bad ones are found out quickly and people stop buying from them. My favorite rifle is my Henry. If I said Henry rifles are the best it would start an arguement.

Anyway, welcome to the forums and thank you for choosing us!

·
Registered
20,002 Posts
Welcome from TX, FL, PA, and all over ! Haven't made it to Moscow yet, but have made several trips across Siberia (in the winter) on the route from LA-HKG (overflying Magadan, Kabrovsk, Petra, etc).

All my Russian stuff is 7.62x39; shoot in SKS and a WASR AK.
I got all excited because our plane had a cam that shows the ground below - along with a map overlay. I don't know if it is always like this, but when we flew over, Siberia and Mongolia looked like the world's largest mud biome.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Which weapon manufacturer is considered to be a good one for you? Build quality and workmanship of parts?
I have a Saiga in .308 it is a good firearm decent accuracy I replaced the 4X side-mount with a 6X, I have a Saiga .410 that I have never shot. My Romanian WASR in 5.45 shoots well and displays none of the issues that some of them did with canted sights and poor fit and finish. My Hungarian FEG is an underfolding AKMS Pre-Ban fit and finish is outstanding..My PSL doesn't display the best fitting or finish of the wood but shoots very well.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Do you shoot Russian cartridges?

many of us here shoot and love the 7.62x54r, as well as others like 7.62x39 and 5.45.

I have a mosin Nagant m9130 from the tula factory. dated 1934.

Welcome!

In a previous post you said something "we can use both domestic firearms and ammunition" do you mean you can ONLY use domestic firearms and or ammo?

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
What can you say about Remington, Tikka, Sako, CZ, Browning?
Remington's older guns is more desireable than the newer guns as their quality has been not so great, Tikka/Sako old stuff like the M39 is outstanding new stuff owned by Beretta is very nice reasonably affordable and accurate...CZ makes and outstanding product throughout their line rifles, pistols, shotguns and rimfires. Browning stuff can be $$$ but quality tends to generate the offset.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
As far as I understand, the most beloved cartridge overseas is 7.62x39?

Im not sure that "beloved" is the best word.

ALOT of people use x39 and its very prolific across the world. mostly becuase its cheap, used in ak's and sks's.

so its more of an issue of it being almost universally available, and cheap, more so than people "loving it"

of course there are those who do love it.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts