close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Group opinion of lever action 357 mag?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Cyclops, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Cyclops

Cyclops G&G Newbie

Been wanting a lever action rifle for awhile. Just having a tough time deciding on caliber. What is the general opinion of one in 357 mag? accuracy? reliablility? durability?

2. Ron Y

Ron Y G&G Newbie

I have a model 94 in 357 mag that I scoped with a 4X Bushnell. 3 inch groups are the norm for me at 100 yards with 158grn hand loads. Reliability has never been a problem and the action is very smooth. The Marlin makes a great companion for a 357 revolver. I may replace the scope with peep sights to make it handier to carry. Recoil is mild, a 44mag will have quite a kick if you are looking for more power.

3. Cyclops

Cyclops G&G Newbie

Priced a lever action 357 mag Marlin...roughly $400. Then I drifted down the display & really got stuck on the 308's...a bolt action rifle and a M1A1

HELP!

4. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    I am fond of the .44 mag. Marlin. I think it's an awesome gun. My Dad traded a mint condition, all original Winchester M1 Carbine for two of them for me and my brother. We both killed our first deer with them and think they are awesome. But hindsight makes me want to stomp a mudhole in somebody's chest. I just don't know who...

5. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

I have an older Marlin Lever in 44mag. Mine has the Micro grove rifleing so It dont like cast bullets...which is why they went to the ballard rifleing. Accuricy, reliability and shootability are exalant.
    I have only had a few problems....1 was that the reciver had some sharp edges that kept giveing me paper type cuts on my fingers when I was loading or cleaning...a few min with a dremal tool solved that. The second was the first few times I took it apart to clean I kept putting a flat spring in the wrong place...(That is of course operator head space problem and not the rifles). I paid $300 for mine USED with a scope and recoil pad installed.

6. Cyclops

Cyclops G&G Newbie

Putting a few things on hold for the time being. Recently fell in LUST w/ a revolver. Now, I gotta have it!

7. johno

johno G&G Newbie

glad to hear the positive reviews, i plan to get once when i'm 21.