Grunter Hunter

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Mick, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Mick

Mick G&G Addict

Just fishing for other pig hunters, I caught a 280 pound boar the other day on horseback with 3 sheep dogs, can you do better.

2. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    did you just catch it, or did you kill it?

3. Mick

Mick G&G Addict

I killed it after I cleaned the sh@t out of my pants, I was going to stick it, but that was before I had a good look at it, saddle guns come in handy.
    He gashed up my dogs a bit, nothing to bad though.

4. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Going on my first guided hunt for pig next month I have hunted them before in PRK but not here in TN

5. Mick

Mick G&G Addict

What is the cost for a guided hunt in the US, do they guarrantee a trophy head, do you dog them or shoot them?

6. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Hunting with guarantees is called slaughtering or just plain killing --- so no guarantee's where I am going I do shoot them I prefer it to wrestling with 300 pounds. They do offer dog hunts and they also offer a spear hunt with the group I am using

7. Mick

Mick G&G Addict

Spear hunting sounds like the shot, ADRENALIN!!
    Mate where I live you walk out the back gate and you are in pig country so there is no worries about guides or any of that you just fall over them, the 280 boar I got while rounding up steers.

8. lyon

lyon G&G Newbie

Dewey and I are going on a guided boar hunt in Gooding, Idaho in a couple weeks. Dew's boss is paying for it. Cant wait!

9. Jack O

Jack O G&G Newbie

Keep your dogs,spears and saddle rifles! I saw on another site that a fellow was going on a hog hunt with a 38 special his load is going to be factory 158 grain lead round rose. I hpoe he survives. Talking about a case of the crazys. I thought you fellows would find this funny.

10. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

The last pig I killed had a 30cal bullet lodged in its should and it was still on the move --my guess the bullet was there for a good while -- I'll stick with my rifles

11. Jack O

Jack O G&G Newbie

I've had good luck with handloaded 357mags 200grn hard cast lead. Mostly Quartering away shots. Had a buddy with a 12 gauge just in case

12. Mick

Mick G&G Addict

survivors

I have come across many grunters with holes in them the most memorable was last easter, a large sow had been shot above the shoulder blades exposing the spine. She had been like this long enough for it to have completly healed, the hole was about 5 inches across.

13. Jack O

Jack O G&G Newbie

What else could you ask of a critter? Tough And Tastey (pun intented) Not every day a man gets to hunt something that would eat you if you weren't carefull.

14. Mick

Mick G&G Addict

Gotta love Easter Break!

Going hunting this weekend, 10 lads, 15 dogs, 4 landcruisers, 30 cartons of beer! Oh and 50 44 rounds each. Should be fun, I'll let you Know how we go.

15. Uncle Red

Uncle Red G&G Newbie

Mick,
    Nice truck!! It looks like the color matches the front end loader too. Really the hog looks nice sized. -UR.

16. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Nice Pig Mick! The lever action looks nice what is it?

17. MangesMade

MangesMade G&G Newbie

Nope, That's the best one I've heard in along time...Dell, I didn't even know Hogs rode Horses.

18. MangesMade

MangesMade G&G Newbie

Poor little Piggy, That'll learn him!!!!! Oil Well, Stupid pig, Horse's are for people.

19. Mick

Mick G&G Addict

Yeah, he's the biggest pig I've ever seen, me and the lads have been hunting him for about five years, and then when I do get him I'm not even looking for pigs! Always the way.
    The rifle is a Rossi 44/40 92 Puma, a good no nonsense gun very basic and easy to maintain.

Didn't you know that pigs rode horses over here, it's to hot for them to walk themselves, that's why they are so hard to catch!

20. Double D

Double D G&G Newbie

SOCAL
    Mick,

here in California (southern) I 've seen pig hunts as low as $300 US and up to about $700 for a two day guided. A place out in Riverside (about 60miles East of Los Angeles)I saw was in the $300 range and a place just about 50 miles north was the more expensive, but around December they host a deal called Pig-o-Rama and it's $300 for the weekend and the person with the largest boar gets $500 for his pocket on the way out. Tejon Ranch is the place.