close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Guard not loaded at nuclear plants

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, Jun 1, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Ok one more time people....an unloaded firearm is a poorly designed club..... To add insult to this decission is that this is in the newspaper...Im sure terrorist are sitting around laughing their turbins off at this stuff....."So Camle breath you and Jahad go up to the National guard and cut them with your box cutters" Camle Lips and Turbin boy will take their guns..load them and then kill the rest. GOD I wish I was makeing this stuff up but here it is with source sited.

Guard not loaded at nuclear plants
    Under the governor’s order, the state’s National Guard carries unloaded M-16s at its nuclear plants.

By SHARON SMITH
    Daily Record staff

National Guard troops patrolling Three Mile Island, Peach Bottom Atomic Power Station and the state’s other nuclear power plants are doing so with unloaded M-16s.
    The soldiers carry ammunition, but it is attached to their belts, said state Rep. Mike Veon, D-Beaver County. With a nuclear power plant in his district, Veon is concerned about whether the guardsmen’s weapons are loaded.

“It’s a conscious decision that the governor and the adjutant general made,â€￾ Veon said. “I don’t understand their philosophy on security, quite frankly.â€￾

Since November, Veon has been trying to get the governor and Adjutant General Maj. Gen. William B. Lynch to change their position on whether the Guards’ guns should be loaded.

“They’re well trained,â€￾ Veon said. “Those precious seconds could cost some of them dearly.â€￾

Veon is hoping Gov. Mark Schweiker will change his mind.

“If he doesn’t,â€￾ he said, “I think the public will demand it.â€￾

Some of the people who live and work in Goldsboro, which sits across the Susquehanna River from Three Mile Island, are also hoping the governor reconsiders.

who works at Rick’s Pizza to Go.

“That’s absolutely crazy. They’re supposed to be protecting the public. It’s not good to know, but we need to know.â€￾

On Sunday, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported that Pennsylvania National Guard troops who had been stationed at Pennsylvania’s 16 airports did carry loaded weapons.

“I don’t mind being in harm’s way, but let me react,â€￾ Staff Sgt. Bill Lawrence told the Inquirer.

That mission ended earlier this month. The Guard’s mission at Pennsylvania nuclear power plants continues.

Harris could better understand why the Guard’s weapons might not be loaded at the airports. He could not fathom, though, why they wouldn’t be loaded at the nuclear power plants.

“Are they trained proper?â€￾ he asked. “If they’re not trained, don’t put them in there.â€￾

:p :p

2. wes

wes G&G Newbie

We don't even TRY to be ready.

3. all i have to say is, TYPICAL.
    Here in Phoenix the NG only has some thing like 2 or 3 30 rnd. mags.
    Hell i bet the NG in Kalifornia olny get 10 rds. for their guys :rolleyes:
    Oh well so goes the world 'eh?:nod:
    At least i'm prepared if the terrorists hit:assult:
    -Jesse

4. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

I LIVE ABOUT 20 MILES FROM THE DAVIS-BESSENUKE PLANT (THE ONE FOUND WITH A CORRODED CAP FROM BORIC ACID LEAK) I HAVE A SECURITY FRIEND WHO WORKS THERE. THE SECURITY STAFF IS FULLY ARMED WITH BERETTAS AND M-16'S. ITS AT LEAST ONE PLANT THAT IS READY.

5. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Not surprising at all. This is standard practice for USN ship-board security details (for us Squids anyway. Don't know about the Marines.) We carried our 1911A1's, Remington 870's and M14's with the mags in belt pouches and weapon empty. Even during security alert, we were allowed to have the mag in hand, but not in the weapon.

6. This is a federal policy that has failed more than once and has cost lives. I know of men who died trying to load weapons under this same stupid policy. This is what happens when you have civilians making rules for the military and police agencies. It sucks. My 1911 even sleeps with nine rounds and I can always reach additional mags and more powerful weapons if the situation warrants. You see, I make the rules here.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2002
  7. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

It just amazing how our current government can seem to screw things up. What happened to the basic firearms training that was given to every recruit. Or is the National Guard the Touchy Feely Guard. Last time I noticed those service members in the forgien airports I have been in had fully loaded mags and a round chambered. Looks like we need to take some lessons from the other countries in this regard.