close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gun Confiscation ???

Discussion in 'Off The Reservation' started by Dan22, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Dan22

Dan22 G&G Evangelist

Why are guns confiscated from owners who have not committed a crime. If someone is determined to be not worthy or possibly a danger but has done nothing wrong shouldn’t they be given the option of selling their weapon?

If a driver gets too old to drive they simply pull their license. The owner can sell his car or give it to someone.

Guns have value and several guns or a large collection could be worth a considerable chunk of change and the owner should not be “Leagally Robbed” by the local police and where do these confiscated weapons go.

Does the local sheriff or his deputies augment their private collection while the owner gets nothing?

swedesrus likes this.
  2. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

SEMO
    This is somewhat of a sad story. I transferred a gun to a gentleman about a week after getting a 'Delayed' response, when I called in his information. The ATF requires me to hold it at least 3 days, but after the 3 days, if I haven't heard from the ATF, there is nothing to keep me from transferring the firearm. So a week later, I transferred the firearm. ATF calls me a week after that and asks if I've transferred it. I say that I have, and they ask for all of this guys information (that I've already given to them). I ask what will happen and they tell me local law enforcement will go and 'take' the gun. I got the impression that the gun would be confiscated and no monetary refund would happen. That has only happened once, but I personally thought it was a bit unfair. If they didn't want him having the gun, they should never have let him have it in the first place. Both he and I did everything legally.

MoDoc, swedesrus and Dutch like this.

3. john_r

john_r G&G Evangelist

Jax, Fla
    Because in the eyes of a tyrant, freedom is a crime.

kswat07, Ten Man, swedesrus and 2 others like this.
  4. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

That's why we don't sell anything until after we hear back from the NICS office.

We had a weird one last week. I got a "this needs additional checking" from the person I initially talked to. I was then transferred to the department which handles such things where I received a "proceed." A full week later I received a call from NICS regarding the transaction and the first thing they asked was if I had done the transfer.

I told them yes, gave them the Brady name and number of the guy who told me to proceed and heard silence.

The person then told me to proceed with the sale as if I had said nothing. When I asked, the guy on the other line told me it had gotten bumped to his office for further review and all he needed was a "yes or no" and to tell me to proceed. He didn't have access to any more info than that.

It was really strange and left me wondering what would happen if one person tells me to proceed and then I were to get a decline later - or vice versa.

ChaZam and animalspooker like this.
  5. john_r

john_r G&G Evangelist

Jax, Fla
    Seems like a wise idea to record all phone calls with them.

mdj696 likes this.
  6. In one small city where I lived the Sheriffs Office was hired to take over the police duties to save the city money. The police chief promptly retired. It took a couple of months for the Sheriffs to take over. When they did they found the police department had been stealing from the evidence and property room. Fourteen firearms, an unknown quantity of drugs, and so much money they refused to report the exact amount. I heard it was over $250,000. No one was ever charged of course.
    Another city nearby had a case where a man had his firearms seized by the local cops. He tried for months to get them back. Finally went to court. The court upheld his right to have them returned. But the cops couldn't find them. Finally they were found in one of the cops home.
    He did get them back, after three years.

7. Dan22

Dan22 G&G Evangelist

That reminds me of something. I heard that in the Atlanta, Ga. area there were some questionable seizures of gun collections from legal owners but when the owners were cleared they were told they had to show receipts for their gun purchases or couldn't get them back. Their seized ammo just completely disappeared.

I don't know if this is true or not but I do save all of my receipts for guns and ammo but I do have a few guns without receipts that were purchased from dealers that are long out of business.

I live in Florida and Georgia isn't that far away.

8. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I find it ironic that of all the seemingly "pro gun" states in the country, anti-gun Maryland is one of the few (if not only) that actually spells out and has specific laws about an LE agency's legal responsibility for caring for and the safeguarding, safe storage/accountability and return of non-evidentiary temporarily held firearms.

Dan22 likes this.