close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gun kits equal 20 yrs

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by SPOCAHP ANAR, Aug 18, 2002.

1. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

Who really buys this "DUMMY GUN" crap. These kits are used for the sole purpose of making illegal class 3 weapons. There is a small percentage who buy these things for reenactments, but by and large it is used to make machine guns. Another factor into these gun kits are their legality. Knowing you can't buy a full auto gun companies by them up and strip them down to the bare parts, and cut the reciever. Some kits are then reassembled into semi auto guns and others are sold as parts only for the DIY guys. I had considered getting a cetme or fal kit and having it assembled by a gunsmith I know. You can buy them for as little as 500$ already assembled, going the kit route would cost me about 800 or so.

2. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    But of course! You are exactly right. I mean why would anybody buy a complete sten kit less the reciever tube and five magazines for $49.95. If it's a dummy gun, why do you need five mags? How about the reciever blanks...or the class III drilling fixtures? But, if you have paid the money to be an FFL holder that sells to Law enforcement, you can create/build class III weapons (all you want) but there is alot of red tape, and Big Brother moves next door. I think alot of these kits are used this way...but I've never seen a SWAT takedown with a Sten involved, hmmmmm.

3. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

nothing illegal in most areas about owning parts kits, or making a dummy gun. maybe some hot-shot machinist will make a receiver for his kit then what??? can't go to the range and shoot it, draws a lot of stares and questions!!! of course this could lead to other things, banning replacement bolts for your M1a, further restricted magazine capacity, etc etc etc. all because someone says "You don't need!!!"i still cringe when i remember IL DUCE FLORIO and his "you don't need an UZI to hunt rabbits!!!":mad: :nod:

4. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

I agree with Papa G on this. There are a few guys where I shoot that built a couple of the STEN guns LEGALLY. They are strictly semi-auto and they are fun to shoot. Don't knock the guys who buy these kits and take the time/hassle to procure approval from the government to make one.
    As a side note, I know a guy who was in a Federal prison for defrauding the government. He told me the people doing the longest/harshest sentences were the idiots who manufactured illegal firearms, such as these kit guns. Either they didn't get the necessary approval or they made them full-auto and got caught. If anyone does intend to make one in semi-auto form, be sure to get the approval first.

5. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

I believe you have to have a Class 2 manufacturer's license to build ANY reciever. Approval is not the same as a Class 3 dealer's license or a tax stamp. Big time $, big time red tape, big time waiting for approval, and big time in the federal pen if you do any of this illegally.

Jesse

6. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Jesse, you just have to get approval from the ATF and fill out some forms. You are entitled to build one firearm by Federal law, and it MUST be in accordance with all recent laws. You need a Class 2 permit to manufacture new receivers, not to complete a receiver that was already started. An 80% finished receiver is a non-gun by law, and can be completed with ATF approval as a semi-auto relatively painlessly. The paperwork involved is no more difficult than an FFL license. I forgot how the serial number is determined, but it can be done. After talking to those 2 guys, there's a reason why you only do it once. They had to wait 90 days to get the okay, and an ATF agent had to inspect it when it was assembled, just to make sure it was what they said it was.

7. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Gotcha... I knew about the Class 2, but the non-guns are new to me. Thanks for the info...

Jesse

8. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

KNOW THE RULES

Sorry this should not have been a new post.

I have read the government rules for manufacturing a Semi Auto Sten. The rules basically make you design and build a new gun. (ex. you can't use the same reciever tube, it must be I think 1/4" in dia. smaller) So there goes the bolt also and then the trigger assembly. It makes it pretty **** near impossible for anyone to make one unless you are a gunsmith and a **** good one. After you make one you send it to the BATF along with registration , if they approve they send it back to you. If they don't say goodbye to your money and time.

BS laws if you ask me. They do this so that the gun can't be used in any way as full auto. DON'T WELD THE TRIGGER IN THE SEMI AUTO POSITION UNLESS YOU WANT US TO EMAIL YOU ON THE PRISON COMPUTER SYSTEM.

9. BnC2play

BnC2play G&G Newbie

does everyone believe that automatics should be legal? i see alot of people thinking that they don;t do alot of harm...they really do if in the wrong hands....just a quick question???

10. wes

wes G&G Newbie

OK,I love full auto's,great fun. Practical? No,except in certain situations. In un-disciplined hands they will expend all their ammo in a very short time and probably not hit the target,except in movies where they never run out,or change magazines.

11. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

With all the complaining about the noise, I would think silencers would be more accepted. Until England passed their ban on all guns, silencers were encouraged and legal to own/use.
    Full-autos have their place and shouldn't be so heavily regulated, in my opinion.