close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gun Restrictions

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by SPOCAHP ANAR, May 14, 2002.

1. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

Okay, I think that most of us are of the same ilk. We pretty much believe that guns are inanimate objects incapable of being good or bad and that no matter what barriers you put up to prevent undesirebles from acquiring them, they will somehow get them and commit a crime.

This is not to mean that just because Bad people are going to do it anyway we should do away with all the restrictions. What I am asking is this:

1) What sort of restrictions/barriers do you think should be in place or not in place to limit the sale of firearms to those who would use them in a criminal way?

2) What sort of penalties do you think should apply for those who would break the laws and illegaly obtain/sell firearms?

2. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

Very simple Violent felons in the possession of a firearm are automatically given a life term with no appeals or parole.

Felons trying to purchase a firearm through a shop should be immediately arrested and serve a minimum of 10 years.

Otherwise there should be no restrictions on any type of firearm for the law abiding citizen

3. SPOCAHP ANAR

Gun License

I stated earlier in another post that if they were to add an embossed stamp to the driver's license off to the side (separate from any state info on the license) that this could be used as the instant check system.

This is how it would work:

1) When you buy a gun you show them your license. if it has the stamp then you are good to go! This would aid in helping private sales also. Proceed to fillout the necessary paperwork. No instant check needed.

2) The stamp is universal - everyone has it. 18 yo High school graduates to 90 yo old grandmas. Unless you have a criminal record. Instant checks are done when you get your license renewed. This should save money since the state agency can input your name into a computer. (no people answering phones at the ATF making 15$ an hour plus) And there would be no Lists!

3) When you are arrested take your license and immediately cut the stamp off; if your crime is one that if convicted would keep you from owning a gun. This way the driver's license could still be used while you are awating trial, and could continue to be used
    after you are convicted. You just wouldn't be able to purchase a gun legally.

4) This would save money in both the private and government sectors. You would not have to call in to the IC at BATF. no person ansewing calls saves tax dollars and lessens work on dealers. No extra work would be needed for the database since the government already has the database up and running. They may need to be an initial spending increase to ready the system for more daily usage.

5) I think cops would like this too since when they look at a license they would know who is or is not been convicted of a criminal offense; one serious enough to deny you the right to purchase a firearm.

While this alone would not stop illegal gun activity, it would go along way in helping to prevent the sale of guns to those who should not have them. I am sure that some ACLU group would say that the DL w/o the stamp would make criminals look like bad people and they woud feel bad about this.
    Boo Hoo.

let me know what you think.

4. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

SORRY, I DON'T LIKE IT. DRIVERS LICENSES ARE FOR DRIVING PRIVLEDGES AND I.D. ONLY. OWNING A GUN IS A RIGHT,NOT A PRIVLEDGE AND PRIVLEDGES CAN BE TAKEN AWAY. I LIKE THE CURRENT WAY OF BACKGROUND CHECKS AND THE PAPERWORK IS TO BE DESTROYED IMMEDIATELY AFTER. THATS WHATS SUPPOSED TO BE DONE NOW AND ASHCROFT IS GOING TO MAKE SURE ITS DONE. I AM FOR A GUN SAFETY COURSE CARD WITH PICTURE I.D. RENEWABLE EVERY 3 YRS LIKE A DRIVERS LICENSE. YOU NEED A CURRENT ONE TO BUY A NEW GUN.NO FELONS ALLOWED TO TAKE THESE COURSES AND IF CAUGHT TRYING TO TAKE ONE, MANDATORY 5 YR JAIL TERM. YOUR BACKGROUND WILL BE CHECKED WHEN YOU APPLY FOR THE COURSE. IF YOU OPT TO LET YOUR SAFETY CARD EXPIRE YOU MAY KEEP THE GUNS YOU BOUGHT WHILE IT WAS CURRENT ,BUT NO NEW GUNS. I KNOW I'LL TAKE ALOT OF FLAK FOR THIS BUT I DON'T LIKE GUN SHOWS EXCEPT FOR LICENSED DEALERS AND C&R HOLDERS. THERE ARE STOLEN GUNS SOLD BY INDIVIDUALS BECAUSE I HAD A FREIND BUY A GUN AT A SHOW,THEN TRY TO RESELL IT TO A GUN SHOP. THEY RAN THE GUN,IT WAS HOT,FREIND WENT TO JAIL,GOT CHARGED AND CONVICTED FOR HAVING STOLEN PROPERITY. JUST MY OPINION,AND YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT OPINIONS!

5. SPOCAHP ANAR

Gun Course = List

I like the idea of a gun safety course but they ought to do that in school. Teach kids about gun safety, but that's not PC. The problem with a gun course card is that the people taking it are going to buy a gun. Want to round up guns get the list of people who have taken the course and there you go-start collecting! The DL system there is no list (well there is one it's everyone who drives) - you can't tell me from the grandma down the street.
    there can be an id card for those who don't drive or have lost their license for DUI or what ever the case may be.

It may not be the best idea but it limits the ability of the government to keep track of how many guns I buy. And on the topic of IC lists: when they call your name in they look it up on a computer, all they have to do is is program that thing to keep a record of how many times your name is called in. Your name only gets called in if you are going to buy a gun. Do the math.

Paul bought 12 guns last year. HMM thats alot, maybe we should check his house out.

BTW I always believe what the government tells me. They already tried to get those lists after 9/11. How many more terrorists attacks before they get them?

6. NRAJOE

I STILL SAY VERMONT AND HAMILTON COUNTY, OH. HAVE THE BEST GUN CARRY LAW. ANYONE OVER 21 MAY CARRY CONCEALED UNLESS YOUR A FELON. THIS GETS CHECKED OUT IF YOU GET PULLED OVER AND YOU MUST TELL THE LEO IF YOUR ARMED. GOOD GUYS WILL ANYWAY. VERMONT HAS LIKE A NEAR ZERO CRIME RATE OUT OF ALL THE STATES.

7. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

I would have to say that NRAJOE is on the right track. I think Vermont has the best CCW law, and all other states should follow. As long as you can prove you are legal to carry, then you should be able to carry. No form of registration, as criminals sure as h*** don't. Registration ALWAYS leads to confiscation.

8. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

what i think is the only restriction is how much money you have. since the law-breaker isn't going to follow the law, why have any restriction on ownership and carry, then nail the bad guy when caught perping. its already a crime for a convcted criminal to have a firearm, so why burden Joe Blow any further??:mad:

9. If a criminal wants a gun he or she is not going to go through any legal system of purchasing one to commit a crime. There are ton's of arms which make there way into this country and others that are not on any gun dealers books. Not to mention guns that are stolen in break in's, carjackings, etc.

I don't believe there will be able to be a system where no one knows where a gun has gone after a sale, even if it is legal. As NRAJoe pointed out, the gun would need to be registered to ensure that it is not stolen or illegal. If your background check is clean and you have not committed a crime this should be sufficent, anything more complicated is only going to apply to those law abiding people who would legally purchase a gun anyway.

10. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    I believe the Instant background check is a sufficient initial 'barrier'. However, I believe if a gun is used in the conduct of criminal activity that there should be an automatic unwaiverable (mandatory) 10 years added to the sentence. This 10 years cannot run concurrently with any other part of the sentence. Additionally, if a felon is caught in possession of a firearm...10 years, no questions asked. That's my two cents. Good Shooting! Eric

11. Our legal system is screwed up. We need to get rid of prisons. You commit a crime against property, you make restitution plus penalty. Can't afford it? Then you become an indentured servant until the obligation is fulfilled. You perform a crime against person, then you are whipped to the limit and you make restitution. Do it a second time, you die and your estate becomes the property of the aggreived party.

Simple, effective, low cost.

12. NRAJOE

HOLY COW FALPHIL, I'D HATE TO GET YOU PISSED AT ME! YOU KNOW THAT WOULDN'T FLY IN OUR "ENLIGHTENED SOCIETY"...GOOD IDEA THOUGH!

13. JohnD

JohnD Member

I am a leagal gun owner in canada and thought I would ask around to see if I could get a illegal handgun (not actualy going to get one but just to see how easy it would be). The registration does nothing to stop the criminals from getting guns. We have many restrictions and it is immposible for anyone to get a gun licence with any sort of criminal record. Even if you neighbor complained about you in 1943 they would seriousely question giving you a licence. But I am young and got the licence about 1year ago and I do not mind the extra paper work. Actualy in canada you do not have to go through your local gun dealer you can have any gun shiped directly to you from anywhere in the country. Gun laws do not stop crime and where guns are totaly prohibited crime runs rampid. More people die from blunt objects like bats and golf clubs and hockey sticks than guns here, thats includeing police shootings and suicides. As long as I can still have my guns I am happy.

14. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Back in 1982 and 83 I spent some time in the Holy land of Isreal (Thanks to my beloved Marine Corps recruiter and my big mouth voleentering)...in any case I noticed that everyone was armed. I mean you went on a date and she carried her Galeail or Uzi maybe just a handgun if it was going to be formal..go to a bar and it looked like a gun store got delievered to the corner. Everyone considered a firearm like we consider a cell phone now days..just part of life. But the society had standards of how, when you used your firearm..ie if attacked go for it but no plinking in the bar. I never worried about getting mugged in Hiffa or Telavive...I mean hard to mug someone amed with an Uzi knowing that with in 10 ft there are probly others equaly armed. Criminals prefer soft targets and if we all get armed then they seek other means of getting $$. Lets face it check the net make calls do what ever....bank robberies just dont happen in Isreal...now in Florida Im surprised they dont have a drive through for the robbers they happen so much.

15. TERRY8mm

TERRY8mm G&G Newbie

Shame on any adults not prepared to defend themselves or their family at All times.

C.C.W. IS a violation of our RIGHTS as U.S. citizens.

Lets see, I have wear a seat belt, to protect myself,right?

In most states I have to wear a helmet on a motorcycle for the same reason.

So, the government forces us to protect ourselves, except from crackheads,armed robbers, rapists and the average nut case.
    YEA,RIGHT!

Sure cure for a host of problems, a law requiring EVERYONE over the age of 18, that is not a convicted VIOLENT FELON or mental defective, to be armed at all times in public.

16. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    I just saw in FAC warehouse that you can get a complete Sten parts set with FIVE 32 round magazines for $48.95. Now if you could, as you say, make it semi only in a way that complies with the BATF you'd have a $60 dollar 9mm with five mags. If you could get an adaptor for a 9mm AR to use the sten mags this would even be a good deal. Good Shooting! Eric

17. Look there are enough gun laws on the books. The goverment needs to enforce the ones that they laid down, but they don't so they say that current gun laws don't work so we need more.