close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gun Safes

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by ScottD, Mar 16, 2002.

1. ScottD

ScottD G&G Newbie

Just bought a safe and have it coming. Any ideas on how to move it into place, beside blood, sweat and tears.

Does anyone else own one from Sportsman Steel Safes?

2. Uncle Red

Uncle Red G&G Newbie

Ask three to five friends over, and make sure one of them brings an appliance dolly! Burn some steaks on the grill and push a backed potato on the plate for good measure, and then wash it all down with a couple a beers. Works every time! "I Gar-on-tee"! -UR.

3. SECURE IT WELL

Bolt that sucker to the floor and to the wall. Concrete get red heads at least 1/2 to 3/4" thick if you are going into wood use nothing less than 1/2" lag bolts.

Better yet, get steel plate.
    Bolt the steel plate on the door hinge side wall of the safe will prevent rocking back and forth. then lag bolt the steel plate to the wall.

Bolt another steel plate the the floor, that way they can't pry it up and loosen it up. Bolt that down also.

I also found inside safes, all the fire rating is done with drywall. If you have room, put xtra pieces on the outside for added heat and fire protection. Get the stuff made out of concrete made for bathroom floor tile. it holds up the best.

4. Topstrap

Topstrap G&G Newbie

I guess I'm lucky, I have a small excavating company so it's never been a problem moving them around. I've set a bunch of them over the years for people, I've set big ones down into new foundations, lowered them down steps, set them into walls and unloaded them from trucks. I just unloaded a big one purchased from an old business in Wheeling last weekend, used straps, picked it up with my skidloader and pushed it into the garage onto the concrete floor so they could move it. Most all of us have loarge safes purchased from old businesses that closed and had auctions. The newer ones really aren't that heavy compared to the ones we have.

If it's a really large one a rollback is the easiest to use, they can usually back right up to your door and slide the bed back to the opening and roll it right in on a couple of planks or plywood. If it has to go down a set of stairs into a basement then a small wrecker works well to let it down with the winch on some planks. The newer ones that weigh under 500 pounds can usually be handles with a few friends and some long straps and planks. If it's a lightweight one a heavy duty dolly will sometimes work well, if it's heavier then one of those platforms with 4 casters on it works well on concrete floors, some carpet scraps to slide it one helps also. What size did you get? How heavy is it?

Good Luck

5. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    get an appliance dolly, and if its going down stairs dont be the guy under it!