Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

Well, I went to a gun show a couple weeks ago, and am just now gettin' around to taking some pics. We picked up a 1942 Mosin, 91/30, all numbers matching except bayonet. It was worked over by an arsenal in Vermont (C.A.I., in Georgia, VT), but I guess they kept the parts together. I think I detect a slight hint of the original rifling, but I can't be sure. Either way, the current rifling is sharp and clear, with no pits. The wood is in great shape, with no dings, or rubs, only some extremely small areas where the stain has faded.

I took every last bit of it apart in the days following the gun show and de-cosmo'ed and cleaned every piece. I think its an Izhevsk, because it's got an arrow inside a star on all the parts.

Took it shootin' about a week ago, but only put 20 rounds of Silver Bear through it. I think there's a burr somewhere in the bolt path, or my spring just might still be stiff, but the up-travel stage of the bolt cycle is a little stiff. It'll probably sort itself out. Funny thing is that the first four rounds I fired, I was consistently shooting about 3 inches left at 75 yds, until I put the bayonet on, which brought it to center. I had a bit of a problem keeping elevation the same, but I kept messing with the weird back sight, which I have yet to figure out, so that was mostly my fault. Overall, I'm very happy with this rifle. Now that I've taken it apart, I understand how it works, and how it can't help but be reliable. Best $90 I've spent...

In other news, we also picked up a New England Handi-Rifle, chambered for .500 S&W. I don't know what the hell this things practical purpose is, but my Dad saw the big hole in the end and decided he wanted it. We probably would have thought twice, had we known how much the ammo costs; we paid $60 for 20 rounds at Gander, and we only got 380 grain. Wal Mart, Academy, Ft. Thompson, and all the other places don't even carry it. For a little more than the price of a box of ammo, we can send it in to New England and get a different barrel for it, in a caliber that doesn't make us wince.

My Dad got ambitious yesterday and decided to make himself a shooting range in the front yard. After taking the front-loader and making a rather large berm of dirt, he put some milk-jugs out at about 80 yards, and fired a couple rounds off. Shot reasonably well.

Anyway, just thought I'd shar the latest happenings on my end,

Take Care,

Jeff

And yes, that is a cheap Barska SKS 4X on the .500

Attachments

·
Premium Member
30,705 Posts
do you reload? it'll come in handy for anything that costs $3 a pop!

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Nice pick-up there Jeff.

The arrow with the star around it means it is a Tula manufacture. The Izzy's have a triangle around the arrow.

As for the sticking bolt, it could be that there is a burr in the chamber or it could also be that there's still some cosmo in the chamber. Any left in there and it will get sticky as it warms up.

CAI is short for Century Arms International, one of the larger importers of mil-surp arms in the nation. I own 4 rifles from them, three of which are Mosins, the other's my CETME.

For an outstanding wealth of information, check out 7.62x54r.net

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yeah, I don't know why I said it was a star. I just double-checked and its a triangle, my mistake. I'll see if any cosmo leaks out next time I'm shootin'. I disassembled the bolt, and put a nice large solvent-soaked cloth on a drill and gave the chamber a good work over, but I'm willing to bet I missed some of that wonderful cosmoline.

No, I don't reload, but I've price some Lee reloading equipment and dies for the .500. I'm seriously considering that option. Cheapest I've found .500 for it about $2 a whack. What's your setup, billy?

Thanks for the replies, guys.

·
Premium Member
30,705 Posts
actually ive got 2 presses .
the 1st one i bought was a lee anniversary kit with manual.
it is cheap and a great way to start and then i found a used lyman all american turret press that is about 40 years old and i am in love with it.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
A .500 S&W single shot? That's pretty sweet. There is a quite a variety of barrels for that thing and pretty reasonable prices. Good pickups.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
FWIW, CIA isn't the arsenal, but rather the importer. If you just want to reload a few rounds here and there, Lee makes a hand reloading tool called the 'Lee Loader" for the '54R. This only resizes the neck, so the reloaded rounds can't always be used in guns other than the one they were fired in. If you want to start loading, the Lee Anniversary kit is the cheapest way to start but you'll prob. want to upgrade a few items such as the powder measure and scale if you aren't willing to learn how they work. I use a digital scale because it is much easier, but use the Lee dippers to dispense the initial load. I use a Hornady powder trickler to finalize the powder charge but, I actually prefer the Lyman adjustable-height model.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts