Gun and Game Forum banner

Gun Snob RANT!!!

Hi-Point 
11K views 54 replies 35 participants last post by  Mantrid_Brizon 
#1 ·
EDIT: Holy crap this ended up long... sorry about the novel.

OK, so i know this has been covered countless times and I am generally not one to post defensive stuff like this, but got to reading some things about Hi-Point guns and also got into it with a good buddy of mine about them and am just infuriated right now so I decided I would share.

To preface this, I own many guns - everything from my beloved Hi-Point C9 to Walther P22s, Ruger P94, Beretta PX4 and basically everything in between (Although no 1911s) and I am VERY MUCH NOT a brand loyal person. I don't consider a brand as a status symbol at all. I am all about function.

WHAT THE F*CK is everyone's problem with these guns? Anytime i talk to someone about Hi-Points in person, it is nothing but a bash-fest of "those are junk" and "I wouldn't trust my life to them" and "if your life is only worth $150, then get a $150 gun." My first response to this is "Do you own one?" Naturally the answer is no. I follow that up with "Have you ever shot one?" Again, the answer is no.

I have owned my C9 for nearly 2 years now (And also have a 995TS that I LOVE) and have at least 3000 rounds down the pipe. I have had a total of 2 FTFeeds with the gun, and both times were because of grit in the magazine (I live and shoot in the desert in Nevada). Once cleaned, no problems again.

I have NEVER had to send the gun back for service or repair. I have never had a major failure - or even a minor failure of any kind with this weapon. I can put rounds into a 2" circle from 20 yrds regularly with it. It is comfortable to shoot and has minimal recoil.

Maybe im just lucky and HP messed up and gave me a good one, or maybe it is because i know how to operate and care for my guns. I can HONESTLY say that I have had more issues with my $700 PX4 and $650 P94 Ruger than I have ever had with my HP. Again, nothing significant with any of my weapons though.

To venture off on a tangent for a minute, I am an avid motorcyclist and dirt bike rider and have owned nearly all major brands of both street and dirt bikes. 2 Years ago i picked up a "disposable" Chinese dirt bike for my fiance to learn on. I figured it would be junk and not last long but it was a good tester to see if she would be interested. Long story short, out of all of my "Brand Name" dirt bikes (KTM, Yamaha, Kawasaki) and this Chinese bike, the Chinese bike is the ONLY one that has NEVER left me stranded, NEVER failed to start or run, NEVER broke anything significant. Granted, the big name bikes are built more for performance than anything else so yes, things will break and tuning is always needed, but I have NEVER had a problem with my cheepie bike and find myself riding it more than any of my others. This is because I know what to expect out of it and don't push it for more and I maintain and care for it properly.

Same thing applies to my Hi-Point. It is the one pistol that gets the most range time and is an absolute joy to shoot.

So my buddy that I got into it with is a big 1911 guy. I don't have anything against 1911s other than I just don't like how they fit my hand. Not comfortable to me at all. But we were shooting a little while ago and he just wouldn't even touch my hi-point, calling it unsafe and junk and not reliable. So I talked him into trading guns for a few mags. He went through the mags quickly without issue. I, on the other hand, had issues right from the start. Again, I don't find these guns uncomfortable so the hand grip was a bit un-natural for me. First round, pop, and a jam. OK. new gun, not used to it. Cleared the jam, tried again. Same thing. My buddy looks over and says "your limp wristing it". So i try and again and after about a mag and a half, I finally get the hang of it.

He says 1911s jam if you limp wrist it. fair enough. so I asked him what he had into his gun. He replies with "A little over $1200" HOLY SH*T! I handed him back his gun and took my HP back. I asked him, "So you wouldn't trust your life to a HP?" and he says "Not a chance in hell."

So i take a full mag (and were in a safe and controlled place for this mind you), slap it into the gun, and pull the trigger completely limp wristed - 8 times. Not a single jam and all 8 printed on paper. I looked at him and said "I would! and I can get 9 of these for the same cost you you have into yours" The next day he was out looking at HPs.

My point here is this. If you don't have one of these guns and have never shot one, KEEP YOUR UNEDUCATED OPINIONS TO YOURSELF. Im sick of hearing it. Yeah its an ugly $150 gun, it does exactly what it is supposed to do and without question I would trust my life, and my families lives to it without a thought. Its not the prettiest gun. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles. Its a $150 gun. You cant expect a Ferrari for the price of a Toyota corolla. But you can get a great Toyota corolla for the price of a Toyota corolla.

Like anything else in life, if you take good care of your things, they will return the favor. If you neglect or never even give something a real chance, of course you will be disappointed. If your expectations are too high for what you have, then you will never be happy with it. Its not about brand and status.

I love my HP and would pick it up over some of my $600+ guns in a life and death situation any day of the week and twice on Sunday!

I'm not really sure what I was trying to accomplish with this post but just wanted to rant and vent a bit and share some of my stories about my beloved HP.

Carry On

- Justin

See less See more
#2 ·
high points suck!....lol just kidding hahaha hey ive never been a brand snob but i am a function snob! so more power to ya man! if ya love something it dont matter what others say...my first wife was a homely woman! but dang it i loved her! so when that happens ya just gotta ignore the nay sayers bro and drive on!

#3 ·
Now, that THERE is funny!

Welcome to the "underdog" club.

If you changed the name of the gun to Glock, it would be much the same rant, except prices.

#5 ·
Now, that THERE is funny!

Welcome to the "underdog" club.

If you changed the name of the gun to Glock, it would be much the same rant, except prices.
I am mainly not a Glock fan because of price, and the brass seems to like ejecting into my face every time someone has let me shoot theirs.

#6 ·
Justin, you will find this with any handgun. Mention certain makes and the blow-hards feel obligated to berate you for owning one.
Mention Charter Arms, AMT, IAI and the gun-snobs will tell you everything wrong with them...eventhough they don't own one, have never owned one, have never fired one, and probably have never even held one.
Don't let it bother you...you have no-one to prove anything to except you.

#8 ·
I can honestly say that I will never own a High Point. Not because of function, reliability, or anything. Only because they are FUGLY. That and I hate the grips. It has always been the story of my life, for some reason I always like the crap that is expensive. I dont like glock either. I have owned two and they just dont fit. XD's are the same way it just doesn't fit. I love my HKs, and although I dont own any I am a big fan of Sig also.

I wouldn't call myself a snob, but others might. I am an HK fan through and through, but I like what fits me and nothing fits me like an HK

#9 ·
The "if your life is only worth $150..." argument always baffled me. So say that day I am carrying a $900 1911A1. Does that mean that I value my life at $900 that day? Lets say yes, that means that, while I apparently value my life 4 times as much as you do, we are still topping out at under a grand. Okay, so the real big shot carries a custom 1911 that ran $2400. By that argument we are still saying your life is worth a used Honda. It is a total BS argument.

#10 ·
The "if your life is only worth $150..." argument always baffled me. So say that day I am carrying a $900 1911A1. Does that mean that I value my life at $900 that day? Lets say yes, that means that, while I apparently value my life 4 times as much as you do, we are still topping out at under a grand. Okay, so the real big shot carries a custom 1911 that ran $2400. By that argument we are still saying your life is worth a used Honda. It is a total BS argument.
yeah that argument never really held any water with me either. And yet i hear it so damn much.

Again, being a motorcycle guy, that argument is ABSOLUTELY true for riding gear like helmets and gloves and whatnot. All that is still overpriced too but at least there are certain quality issues and testing that (for the most part) drives the actual cost up.

Not so in many other things. like guns in most cases. If it functions and does its intended job well, then it is worth every bit as much as you paid for it or more, where as some of the bigger brand stuff your buying a name...

Now dont get me wrong, All my higher priced guns are all very nice weapons - I would not have spent the ridiculous amounts of money that I have on them if they were not. but in terms of function, my HP is no different from my PX4, my P94 or any of the other handguns I own (and theres a few more).

And I wasnt really all that worked up about it from the begining, moreso just really really annoyed and wanted to voice my opinion. I could care less what anyone else thinks of me. Im just sick of hearing about. People need to get over themselves.

I did come to a rather comical conclusion this morning though. I have 4 guns that ALWAYS seem to follow me to the range more than any of the others (I have... I think 16 or 17 at this point). Those are my HP, a FEG PA-63, a 1933 Mosin 91/3 and a 1939 sporterized 1.5 MOA (On MillSurp ammo) mosin nagant. All of those combined, retail, come in $100 LESS than my next cheapest gun. Cracked me up.

- Justin

#11 ·
I agree completely
i just got a savage axis , despite the ragging, i also have 3 chinese bikes, 2 have been awesome, my usual one is on its 3rd rear tyre, but 1 is an issue bike, well sometimes it wont start.

but i do plan to prove my cheap as rifle will shoot long range since it shotts _.825 out of the box

#13 ·
KEEP YOUR UNEDUCATED OPINIONS TO YOURSELF
Really? I appreciate your concern, but I'm fully able to take care of my own opinions, thanks anyway.

Your opinion of any brand of firearm is just that... YOUR opinion. My opinion of my firearms, is just my opinion. Neither of us needs to agree. I've fired Hi Points, pistols, and carbines, and will never own one. MY OPINION... MY CHOICE.

#14 · (Edited)
Really? I appreciate your concern, but I'm fully able to take care of my own opinions, thanks anyway.

Your opinion of any brand of firearm is just that... YOUR opinion. My opinion of my firearms, is just my opinion. Neither of us needs to agree. I've fired Hi Points, pistols, and carbines, and will never own one. MY OPINION... MY CHOICE.
And i appreciate and respect your opinion - that statement was more of the "if you dont have anything nice to say..." flavor. but your opinion is yours and your entitled to it, but dont tell me that I am just flat out wrong for my opinion. Besides, you are not who im aiming this at. you have had exp with them and KNOW that they arent for you.

I have plenty of opinions on many things. some good, some bad, but if i voice them, it is in a respectful manner (or at least i try to), not a "im better than you because" way.

and, for what its worth, if your going to dog on someone because of an opinion on a firearm, dirtbike, icecream flavor or whatever, at lease be open-minded enough about it to hear the counter opinion and dont discount it right away based off of here say.

on a positive note, the soon to be father in law worked my up about 150 handloads of various punch and am about to go try em out.

- Justin

#15 ·
I just sold my 995,after +/-7000 trouble free rounds.
My only two gripes were the fact you had to get an aftermarket stock to get it to look halfway decent and you have to fiddle with factory mags to get them to work right.
The only reason I sold it was I found a Marlin Camp 9 and don't need two carbines.
I havn't had the chance to try the pistols yet,but I already have several handguns (Glock included) so I'm not in a hurry to try one.
Would I get one? I doubt it,but I will say that they are backed with a great warranty and a huge following of loyal owners who report thousands upon thousands of trouble free rounds and that says alot.

#16 ·
I have plenty of opinions on many things. some good, some bad, but if i voice them, it is in a respectful manner (or at least i try to), not a "im better than you because" way
WHAT THE F*CK is everyone's problem with these guns?
I guess I'm old, but that doesn't qualify as a "respectful manner" in my opinion.

I don't think that language reflects positively on the user, but again, that's just my opinion.

... "carry on" as a military term means to continue as you were... so I will.

Have a good day. :usa2:

#17 ·
I guess I'm old, but that doesn't qualify as a "respectful manner" in my opinion.

I don't think that language reflects positively on the user, but again, that's just my opinion.

... "carry on" as a military term means to continue as you were... so I will.

Have a good day. :usa2:
and you are entitled to that opinion. I personally don't qualify that as disrespectful in that I was simply using that choice of language to make a point, not to put anyone down. If that reflects poorly on me, then so be it. In my opinion it does not, but times are different, and admittedly I am probably much younger than most on this forum. I do choose my words carefully.

we could go on all day long about this but I wont, its not productive, and again, i appreciate your input on the matter.

- Justin

#18 · (Edited)
Opinions are fine, Jay. Ragging on some-one because of his choice in weaponry is not and borders on disrespect in a snobbish manner. The purpose of this forum is to provide experienced opinion not to call a man a fool because of what he owns.

A person buys his choice of weapon which is probably within his price-range at the time of purchase...for someone to attack his choice without provocation is ridiculous.

I have had this done to me on this forum when I've displayed a new purchase of which I'm proud and happy to have purchased so I understand the OP's rant. IMO this is rude behavior. I believe this is what the OP is referring to in his original post. It is more-so irritating from another who is not familiar with the firearm other than the bias he's read by poster's on a forum.

I, personally, don't like Glocks and I have no need for another Fugly gun like the HP ( have enough ugly guns) but I won't berate another who does.

Actually, the old idiom "If I want your opinion, I'll ask for it." rings true in many cases.

Truth be told, the inability of a shooter lies with the holder, not the holding; regardless of the price.

JMO!...lol

BTW...I don't guess I'm old...I know I'm old...you whipper-snapper you.

#21 · (Edited)
You send me your $600 guns and I will send you some new hipoints. The old addage is true. You get what you pay for.
didnt say I dont like my expensive guns either...

And to a point you are correct, but my point is that I paid for a gun that all i want it to do is go boom and hit its target. It does that perfectly. I paid more for my other guns because i paid for better looking and more features on those guns. so I guess you are correct.

I only use my guns to assassinate sheets of paper and if need be, to protect myself and family, although I HOPE i NEVER have to find out how well it does that.

- Justin

#23 ·
I have shot a 9mm Hi Point a few times and each time it has shot flawlessly every time. I would have no quarrels about owning one. It wouldn't be one I want to carry but the gun isn't really meant for carry so that is a non-issue. I have thought about buying one but have always had other guns on my "want" list.

#25 ·
I was going to keep my opinions to myself on this, mostly because no one asked for them. But here we go anyway.

There are several brands I can't endorse. However, if the low-cost but functional pistols didn't exist, low income people wouldn't be able to own pistols. I am fine with that; they fill a niche or they would have gone out of business.

#26 ·
I bought both a Glock 22 .40 S&W, and a Hi-Point C9 9x19mm Parabellum pistol on the same day. Both have had the same amount of malfunctions; none/zero. I admit I am kind of a Glockhead, but I love my Hi-Point too! Am I the only person on earth (or at least this forum) that thinks that both Glocks and Hi-Points are cool looking? I mean, they aren't Taurus PT809 Sexy, but they are sweet looking pistols.

Reactions: MoDoc
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.