21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
stonegraham: Sir; I find this from Rand; being;
manipulating to fit a fact. The graph supports this fact.
surprising. No (My link)

Having read your link. Interesting. It kinda fits my doubts in accuracy / misleading and manipulated

https://www.rand.org/research/gun-policy.html

To know whether a gun policy is fair and effective, we need to determine how it affects outcomes, such as suicide rates and hunting participation. Scientific research could provide the most-reliable proof of these effects.

We reviewed thousands of studies to identify all available evidence for the effects of 18 gun policies on eight outcomes. After excluding studies that did not meet our criteria for establishing a law's effects, we found little persuasive evidence for the effects of most policies on most outcomes.

For eight of the 18 policies, either we found no studies examining the effects on any of the outcomes we considered or the evidence was inconclusive. However, we found some evidence that 10 policies affect one or more of four of the outcomes, as shown below. For example, evidence shows that waiting periods may decrease (brown lines) suicide rates and that concealed-carry laws may increase (teal lines) violent crime. The thicker the line, the stronger the evidence.
Not buying any of it. These "studies" are dubious, at the very best. I'm in Texas. I know nearly EVERYONE around here. I know only ONE household WITHOUT a gun. That is all.

80%+ households in Texas, is probably closer to the truth. I did a live survey five years ago. 70+% of every car you see in Texas (at least in my area), have a locked and loaded weapon in the car. When is the last time I heard of a "drive by" in Texas? Probably eight years ago. Maybe some go unreported, but in any case, VERY uncommon, as are home invasions. Last HI I heard about in my area, Perps were shot/killed by the homeowners.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
19,693 Posts
those rabidly anti gun cities are actually full of guns. its just that most of the guns are in the hands of criminals who don't tell the pollsters they have them.:rolleyes:
I'd wager that a growing amount of ordinary citizens in those rabid cities are also waking up and figuring out a way to procure them for their own defense (legal or otherwise); waking up to the bed o' lies they've been fed. Obviously they wouldn't be revealing this to a pollster or anyone else.

'course most of the adults in the room woke up to those lies 40 or 50 years ago. So they don't get alot of my sympathy.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
35,862 Posts
There's also a big difference between gunowners with only one or two guns, and us with many guns. Some collectors have a large roomful of guns.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Heard it through the grapevine that Mass and Jersey have abysmal boating safety records...
The water is deep a few miles off the coast.
'Course, that doesn't explain why so many folks bring their entire gun collection with them when they go boating. But "different strokes for different folks". Things happen.

·
Less well known member
5,000 Posts
Not buying any of it. These "studies" are dubious, at the very best. I'm in Texas. I know nearly EVERYONE around here. I know only ONE household WITHOUT a gun. That is all.

80%+ households in Texas, is probably closer to the truth. I did a live survey five years ago. 70+% of every car you see in Texas (at least in my area), have a locked and loaded weapon in the car.
I dare say the same is true for Alaska. Anchorage doesn't count cuz everyone knows that Alaska starts 35 miles from Anchorage!

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,533 Posts
Lol....and there are alot more PLACES with guns than people are willing to say so.

I always get a kick out of these leftist esoterics and 'policy.' Nothing really matters until it gets in the sphere where the rubber meets the road.

You need to think to fly, and you need to be ABLE to fly, but you can't think your way out of a thunderstorm by writing stuff down on some report. Nor can you keep airplanes out of thunderstorms by writing silly stuff down on paper. I guess you could write "don't fly through thunderstorms" but this would be met with a "well, duh !" from people who actually operate the airplanes. For several years in the golden days of aviation, people flew DC-2's and DC-3s and the like through storms. Many got beat up and lived to tell about it, some went in the side and came out the bottom, everyone agreed that it wasn't something you wanted to do (unless you were in a fighter doing research where it was (somewhat) stressed for the encounter and you were getting some valuable info towards designing aircraft to mitigate the hazards of an unwanted and unexpected encounter). But this was driven by actual experience in the matter. And as technology evolved ways to find them and go around them when you could. Actually doing something.

I often use the 'broken glass window' analogy for the leftist mind. A leftist in his infinite wisdom gets a triple deadbolted steel door really hard to breach. He places this in the doorway, which has a double pane standard glass window next to it. And feels all warm and fuzzy in his safe space. Maybe even writing a few rules as to who can use the keys on the locks.

Not realizing that a would-be crook simply smashes the window, unlocks his beefed up door, and walks right in.

So when this happens, he goes out and buys even BIGGER and harder to defeat locks And replaces the window with a standard glass window. Placing a few more restrictions on the keys.

It happens again so he puts some scary stickers on the door this time and writes a few more rules about who can have the keys and when they can use them. And replaces the window again with a standard glass one.

So, yeah....at this point pretty much everyone (except perhaps the most die-hard tree hugging libtards) is armed with something. At least people with sense. And these arms are scattered everywhere. And no-one but the scatterers will ever know where they are (most of whom aren't willing to tell ANYONE except a few trusted people in their life). Free state, PR state, everywhere.
My favorite sign for a front door is: YOU WOULD BE MUCH BETTER OFF SANDING A LION'S ASS THAN BEING ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THIS DOOR.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts