close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

gunsmith mail order courses and tools

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by lee, Mar 20, 2002.

1. lee

lee G&G Newbie

Hello all
    Trying to get used to the new format. Has the board changed hands?
    I am wondering if anyone has experience with the hobby gunsmithnig course offered by mail and if there is a good sourse for gunsmithing tools
    Any help would be appreciated

Lee:confused:

2. Shaun

Shaun G&G Newbie

Equipment is easy -- www.brownells.com they are a leader in the supply and tool area.

3. Tony @ WCG

Tony @ WCG G&G Newbie

Ohio
    Many of the "mail" gunsmithing courses are...well...fair at best. Some of the books and videos are decent while others give you just enough info to get you lost mid stream. Careful...mostly they want your money. It would be best to try and become an apprentice or a part time "helper" for your local gunsmith. Factory offered "armourer" courses are good but way expensive (usually). Brownells has 99% of what ever you need in tools and supplies.

4. Wayne

Wayne G&G Newbie

Try American Gun Institute Have seen some of their videos that a friend purchased Very comprehensive & easy to understand, They also offer full gunsmith courses HTH Wayne

5. Wayne, Your address brings back some memories. I was stationed at Rob't Gray Army Airfield when I was in the army (many moons ago). At the time, Copperas Cove consisted pretty much of a bowling alley (about 8 or 10 lanes I think), and a drive-in coffee shop next door run by a retired NCO, who's name I don't remember. That was 1966, and I'll bet it's changed a bunch!

6. Wayne

Wayne G&G Newbie

Don You would not beleive this town now. Cove has just about expanded as far as it can.Ft Hood you would not recognize.Actually don't live too far from Gray Field Using it now for commercial flights also. Been here myself for 27 yrsPoulation now at over 30,000

Last edited: Mar 26, 2002
  7. Wow:eek: , When I was there, there wsn't anything in either direction from the field till you got to the Cove or to Ft. Hood down hwy 190(?). Course that's been a year or two back. I'm surprised they're using Gray for commercial flights, given it's reason for being at the time. Darn near got run over by a C-141 driving the follow-me truck one night on the taxiway!