Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All meat must be carried out leaving the rib cage is a no-no, if you run into a warden or one happens by you will get fined, my dad was a game warden during hunting season, they will confiscate your weapon, and fine you, look at your laws

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Originally posted by 7mmag6
All meat must be carried out leaving the rib cage is a no-no, if you run into a warden or one happens by you will get fined, my dad was a game warden during hunting season, they will confiscate your weapon, and fine you, look at your laws
i fail to see where the man in the article did anything wrong, or implied such. he says at the end to get ready to pack out. maybe he's gonna drag the carcass behind him.

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its pretty clear to me hes taking the cape and best parts however do what you want but you better not have a game warden around, thats a huge violation, and one thats enforcible

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
In MO the carcass, except for the degutted parts, must be taken to a State Game and Conservation Department approved inspection site before further butchering occurs.

Deer tags are inspected, and then details about the harvested deer are logged into the state's computer system for statistical analysis statewide of where deer were taken, along with other details.

·
Registered
286 Posts
In Texas there really is no law on the amount of the deer or animal taken out. You are not supposed to butcher it until it is a the final destination i.e. home, camp, or processor. You do have to tag the animal. Depending on the county you hunt in there is a limit on a certain number of deer. They go from 5 deer counties, most common are 4 deer counties (2 bucks, 2 does) all the way to 1 buck counties. It all depends on population density of deer. We have to kill so many because they are the size of jackrabbits as opposed to up north. A big Texas deer goes about 180lbs field dressed.

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the fish and game laws here are very strict people push the limits but you can not leave any part of a dressed animal in the field(except for a gut bag), I geuss its different in other states, we have no white tail deer here its all mulies, I dont know why but ive never seen a white tail in northern nm, also the elk population seems to be pushing the deer population over the limit, I hardly see one any more, lots of coyotes though, I counted 14 outside my fence the other night,hehe I got 4 of em with my poly tech

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Bought several pairs of shoulder length rubber gloves this morning. Only had short medical gloves last year. This should keep more blood and guts off my sleeves. Also, I'm taking a small hatchet with me to do bone cutting.

Man, I'm getting more stuff to pack in for the hunt than I want to carry, but it should help a lot when the time comes to degut the deer.

Ox:right:

·
Registered
630 Posts
Never enough stuff......If I had time....I'd be happy to drive up there and haul your stuff out to the stand.

They have Hunt Caddies around your parts?
"Why Bob, I believe I'll swing that .45-70 on this shot"....."Well sure, Mr. Oxford, but watch out for that dog leg and keep your head down...."

Go get 'em Oxford!

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
The guts fell out of this doe!

About 8:30 this morning, the last day of deer season for me, three doe's made a fatal mistake. They walked into my sight at about the 10 o'clock angle. Kept looking for a buck which might be following them but that didn't happen, so within one minute I made the decision to harvest one of the doe's. Hit him higher than I wanted...just under the backbone in his ribcage area. Two of the deer had started running and this laggard made the fatal mistake to keep eating leaves or something.

That was the "moment of truth" for me to decide to shoot or not to shoot. After thinking about it briefly I said outloud..."you're a goner" and pulled the trigger as it started to jump up and join his wiser sisters. It fell immediately but was not hit directly enough to wipe it out quickly. Didn't like what I had to do next to get the doe out of it's misery. Enough said.

Tagged it, and started the degutting process. Took advantage of the degutting video tape I'd viewed a couple of nights earlier. The main change I did in degutting was to start the initial cuts at the base of the rib cage. Supposedly, this was to prevent as many hairs from getting inside the cavity.

We estimated this doe to weigh about 120 after degutting. Used my Rem 700 BDL 30-06 with a 150 grain Rem Lokt Core round. The distance of the shot was approximately 60 yards. The temperature was about 30 degrees, wind speed approx. 6 mph in my direction. The tree stand terrean was located in the crotch of two hills covered with 10-14" trees and plenty of brush. We were located in the far northwest corner of Missouri in Atchinson County.

Ox :nod:

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
nice going OX!!!:)

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Thanks Papa G. Had lots of fun. Went last year but this was my first to harvest. Sure wish I'd gotten a buck instead.

Donated the entire carcus to a program sponsored by the Missouri Conservation Department called 2nd Harvest, or something like that, which allows harvested deer to be processed for the benefit of several benefit organizations to use for feeding those under their responsibility. The hunter is responsible for the processing expenses, but the conservation department will reimburse us about $30 toward that cost, which may run around $100. This can then become a tax deduction for us. I have some other guys who usually share their harvested venison with me, so didn't really need to fill my freezer any tighter. Missouri has a huge overabundance of deer in recent years causing lots of crop damage and vehicular accidents. The Conservation Dept. has reduced the deer tag cost and allowed everyone to use their tag for either/or, plus they can buy another optional tag for a few bucks more. They're getting serious about reducing the deer levels to a managable level.:nod:

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,586 Posts
Answers my question from another post. Good deal! Did ya at leat get to keep the backstrap to fry up?

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
way to go ox so did you get all bloody or what ? man you got to drink a cup of that blood and become a part of the deer like on red dawn. lol glad you got one .:D i can almost smell a roast cookin already !!:D

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Can you explain the technique?

How does starting at the base of the rib cage stop as much hair from getting in the cut? I am curious...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts