Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to get an H&K Fabarms battle shotgun for about $450 from an aquaintance used, or I could go to Walmart and get a Remington 870 for $240 and start modifying it with about $200 worth of stocks, grips, shrouds.

Which is best

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Mind linking to the pic of the "battle shotgun"?

Grips and shrouds are often found by the owners not to be as good as they liked. My 870 only has a p-grip stock for accuracy reasons.

I'd consider internal differences to be more important than accessory price differences. If there's an accessory that you particularly want, though, it may be available for the 870 and not the HK.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Got my 870 today

Thanks for the input BattleRifleG3--I have not seen any accessories for the H&K--here's a link: http://www.entreprise.com/News/HK_Fab/HK_FP6.htm

I just now got the 870 from WalMart (what a hassle) and am about to order a Knoxx Spec Op stock from Cabela's http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&parentType=index&indexId=cat20813&hasJS=true

I think having a recoil absorbing stock will make the gun more fun to shoot.

The folding stock just looks fugly to me--although I can see how it would be useful in tight quarters.

Plus the folding stock apparently conflicts with the standard forestock on the Remington. Knoxx has a shortened forestock but after shipping that's another $35--so I'll hold off on that--Knoxx has some pretty wild magazines (10 round drum and 6 round box) for the Remington--but I can always add that stuff later.

The H&K has a lifetime warranty and I have handled but not shot the weapon--on thing I did not like was that you cannot just keep the trigger depressed and cycle the rounds like I could on my Mossberg 590--to be honest the Remington is still in the box so I don't know about the action or trigger yet.

Pretty excited about getting out and shooting it--I figure I'll see how it prints with the 28" barrel before shortening it to 20".

Thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I consider a home/homeland defense shotgun to be akin to the muskets of days gone by, being designed for large bore, low capacity, and not much range.

Therefore, I prefer my tactical shotguns to have a standard synthetic stock that would stand up in the closest of quarters. And a bayonet too.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd only dull the bayonet charging steel plates...lol...but you have a good point--hard to knock heads with a springy stock...(if I run out of ammo I could always pogo away, I suppose...)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts