Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago i hand to have surgery on my neck. My Remington 700 was a bit too much to carry.
I bought a nef handirifle in 30:06 Love it. my wife have a topper 20Ga and 22 hornet. love it.
My big disappointment came when i first fired the gun and the empty did not sail over my head or hit me in the head chest or anywhere else but stayed in the chamber in a slightly raised position.
Why did nef do that?
Also the gun i purchased was a nylon stock lightweight rifle. I could not figure out why the recoil was very manageable, until i removed the recoil pad and found a square tube full of shot or something. This weighted tube act like a dead blow hammer when the gun is fired. All the weight is transferred into the recoil reducing it greatly.
Where do i find more of these? All i can find are solid steel rods when i search the interwebs.
thanks

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
I personally like the extractor vs an ejector for centerfire, As a reloader I like the idea that I can pluck my precious brass out of the chamber and back into my range bag.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
I don't know about the ejectors.

If you want to make a similar recoil-absorbing weight there are many ways you can go about it. The simplest way is to fill a double layer latex glove with lead shot and stuff it into the stock cavity. Cheap and easy. You could use a plastic bag. I use the latex gloves so that there is some slight compression to keep the shot packed tightly.

One thing you should not do is to glue the shot into any opening that is used to access a screw or bolt. If you do, you will have to clean it out if you ever need to remove, or tighten up your stock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I personally like the extractor vs an ejector for centerfire, As a reloader I like the idea that I can pluck my precious brass out of the chamber and back into my range bag.
Ya good point i reload too. but i also hunt with it. if i have to pluck the empty from the chamber with gloves on, i would rather buy more brass later.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know about the ejectors.

If you want to make a similar recoil-absorbing weight there are many ways you can go about it. The simplest way is to fill a double layer latex glove with lead shot and stuff it into the stock cavity. Cheap and easy. You could use a plastic bag. I use the latex gloves so that there is some slight compression to keep the shot packed tightly.

One thing you should not do is to glue the shot into any opening that is used to access a screw or bolt. If you do, you will have to clean it out if you ever need to remove, or tighten up your stock.

Good idea
I thought about making one with #6 shot and some copper tubing just thought if someone knew where to buy them..........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts