Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 model 929 H&R 22 revolvers. One is a 6" with adjustable rear sight; the other has a 2" barrel with a grooved top strap rear sight. Both have the later floating firing pin/ transfer bar ignition. Both guns have what seems to me, too strong mainsprings. I've had other H&R 22s, and these 2 929s have mainsprings quite a bit stronger. I know that rimfires require a more solid whack to fire than centerfires, but I feel the springs on my 2 guns could be relaxed somewhat, and still function. Has anyone out there tried cutting a coil or more off mainsprings like these, and what were your results? I think I can find replacement springs should I do this and get them too relaxed. Coil mainsprings for revolvers are somewhat generic and easy to find. Thanks for any advice.

·
Wonderment :)
33,569 Posts
boat: Sir, before chopping off coils; I'd have replacement springs available. Too; I've found springs at hardware, Lowes and such. Some were way too much both ways.
Having chopped way to much; I've stretched them. Nothing reproducicable. Either was okay or useless:)
Explore:)

Reactions: blat

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My idea was to cut one coil, try it, cut one more if needed, try it again, and so on. Then when I get the right amount, smooth the cut end with a file or such.

·
33,569 Posts
blat: Sir, very carefully measure your overall length. Double triple measurements. :)this will give some needed reference.
Suppose you passed your point of return. (I measure each cut). Passing my intended; I have references and will stretch some
Like I said earlier. Non reproducible. A slight stretch can fill in the blank. Polishing your trigger group will enhance. I do this before chopping

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ANOTHER QUESTION ON THE 929 GUNS: I've read a couple of forums wherein people state that their gun has some sort of nylon "bushing" or whatever where the mainspring strut meets the hammer, and that these are prone to breakage. I examined both my 929s and found no such nylon part. Both mine appear that the mainspring strut is steel with a steel ball formed on it's end that rides directly in a socket on the bottom of the hammer. The struts both have a bend back toward the back strap about i/2" from the ball. I see NO nylon piece(s). Both my guns appear to be late models; both have the floating firing pin/ transfer bar. I also need advice on a web site that can give me year of manufacture by serial #, if anyone can help me on that. Thanks

·
33,569 Posts
blat: Sir, there are a number of H&R 929 vids on you tube

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ANOTHER SUBJECT ON 929s: I'm trying to find a Pachmayr grip for my 2.5" 929. Part # is HR/C. Long out of production, they are more rare than an honest politician. On line searches have been fruitless; and the price if found would probably be outrageous. None the less, if someone can help me find one, I will appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
ANOTHER SUBJECT ON 929s: I'm trying to find a Pachmayr grip for my 2.5" 929. Part # is HR/C. Long out of production, they are more rare than an honest politician. On line searches have been fruitless; and the price if found would probably be outrageous. None the less, if someone can help me find one, I will appreciate it.
Just saw 3 closed auctions online. Grips sold price ran from $17-$20, but you really need to keep a close eye on-line to jump when another set hits. As for making sure you have a spring before cutting up your existing spring check at Numrich to make sure you have a replacement on hand http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/276950E.htm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts