Gun and Game Forum banner

Had a friend drop off his C9 9mm

Hi-Point 
10K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  writerinmo 
#1 ·
A friend of mine asked me to take a look at his C9 9mm last night.

I do this for all of my friends on a regular basis.

What I found upon tear down and inspection made my heart hurt for this little pistol.

Apparently, it has NEVER been cleaned or stripped down.

I get to the firing pin and springs. I notice something is just a tad bit off... I found two small pieces of Bic pen someone decided to smack in there to replace the forward buffer spring that goes around the slide return spring on the firing pin. I've never seen anything like this and it blew my mind that the plastic had not melted and bonded yet to the firing pin channel and spring.

Barrel was next. Oh my Gosh! Poor little thing.. His feed ramp has a small little pig trail through the carbon deposits!!

So, I'm going to get him another spring for his firing pin and clean it up for him. Some folks just need a little help from time to time...

See less See more
#2 ·
It always amazes me when people think firearms clean themselves. I suppose your friend picked the best handgun possible for his utter lack of care or cleaning. Those suckers are like AK's. You can pack em with dirt, run em over, and they still go bang.

Reactions: Oxford
#4 ·
Stackz, before you give your friend his C-9 back, may I suggest you get him a cleaning kit and teach him how to field-strip the piece and clean it? It doesn't have to be a fancy kit; a boresnake, some rags, and a bronze bristle brush plus a bottle of Gunzilla ought to be enough. But for pity's sake, teach him how to care for his piece!

Reactions: Oxford
#5 ·
A rag, barrel brush, patches & holder, and some breakfree is really all that pistol needs, at least for the next 2,000 + rounds. They don't even tell you to field strip it until at least 1,500 rounds, though it looks like it's seen a lot more than that... Tisk tisk...

Reactions: MoDoc
#8 ·
I talked to my buddy last night about sending it in to Hi-Point and we both came to the conclusion that a factory rebuild/repair would be best. He did not even know about the lifetime no questions asked warranty. This was his first pistol he bought 7 years ago. And I confirmed with him lastnight that he has never ran a rod down the bore or stripped and cleaned it. This thing is a tank. Hi-Point has my attention now.

I am mailing it in tomorrow.

I will snap a few and post here to show the reveal.

Extreme Gun Makeover !

#11 ·
Friend o mine got his C9 back from the factory in 2 weeks.

They replaced the missing spring, sent back 2 new mags plus an extra the tech had laying on his bench, and confirmed that this pistol had never been cleaned...

My friend says it's a brand new pistol. I'm sold on hi-point. It didn't cost us anything but the danged shipping... That's impressive.

#12 ·
Hi-Point is a world class brand, which is hard for most people to swallow when faced with a price tag usualy floating around $160.00 USD for a NIB 9x19mm Parabellum or .380 ACP pistol, and about $260.00 USD for a NIB carbine.

Reactions: MoDoc
#13 ·
Hi-Point is a world class brand, which is hard for most people to swallow when faced with a price tag usualy floating around $160.00 USD for a NIB 9x19mm Parabellum or .380 ACP pistol, and about $260.00 USD for a NIB carbine.
We just had a .40 S&W Hi-point carbine come through one LGS the other week at $200 +tax NIB. Unfortunately I was just a bit short or I would have snapped it up. It's the only Hi-Point I have seen for sale around here with the exception of a gunshow.

#15 · (Edited)
My LGS frequently has the new tacticool Model 4595s and tacticool Model 995s in stock. What I am looking for is a Model 995 in the old "Planet of the Apes" stock, that I can then drop into the ATI "Beretta CX-4 Storm" stock they make for the Model 995, that substantially improves its ergonomics. I'd prefer to do that for a Model 4595, but no one makes a replacement stock for that one.

However, no gun shop around here EVER has the Hi-Point pistols. They don't, or won't, stock them.

#16 ·
My LGS frequently has the new tacticool Model 4595s and tacticool Model 995s in stock. What I am looking for is a Model 995 in the old "Planet of the Apes" stock, that I can then drop into the ATI "Beretta CX-4 Storm" stock they make for the Model 995, that substantially improves its ergonomics. I'd prefer to do that for a Model 4595, but no one makes a replacement stock for that one.

However, no gun shop around here EVER has the Hi-Point pistols. They don't, or won't, stock them.
From what I have heard at the local range there is a guy out in the west suburbs with a small shop who will order them. Other than that none of the locals stock them. It's one of those situations where they go: "Well.... I can order one in, but I prefer to upsell... How about a Colt Commander?".

#17 · (Edited)

A) A shame about the pistols. They're actually really good. Cheapest reliable plinker (that's not a European Bloc Mil-Surp) you can find, I say!

B) I Have a 995C (original stock) and bought an ATI Cx4 style stock, and it did not work out well. First, I had to take a metal file and actually shave the stock to fit the rifle, which took no less than 5 hours. After constantly shaving and grinding and filing, I got it to fit, but the trigger felt HORRIBLE. The stock is so much fatter, that my fingers couldn't reach it. I called Hi-Point and they said that while it was still under warranty, they didn't recommend the ATI stock because the ATI stock was a different, less pliable plastic, and after so many rounds, breaks at the screws that hold it together. It also increases felt recoil considerably. I told them about the trigger, so they sent me a second generation trigger that's wider than the original, much like the trigger that's on the pistols, and told me how to replace it. I tried that, but thought about what the nice worker at Hi-Point said about the stock, aside from the fact that the stock felt like crap, both in my hands and up against my shoulder. I took the Hi-Point out of the ATI stock and put it right back in the "Planet of the Apes" stock, which has now grown on me to the point I think it looks cool and actually miss that production model carbine. I kept the new trigger. Never looked back. I still regret the $50-60 USD I spent of that worthless hunk of plastic. Be warned!

P.S. The ergonomics on the Classic stock are much better, and the weird hump-like curves fit my body far better than the ATI stock did. I actually want to use it now! lol

#19 ·
After reading a lot about these cheapos I'm intrigued and will be looking for used 45pistol or carbine, would not mind adding it to my arsenal
You'll be lucky to find one in a gun shop. Between the Hi-Point fans, guys just looking for a knockabout gun, people who want a good gun but don't have a lot of money, and those in the know about Hi-Point guns, they don't stay in the used gun racks very long. Or the new gun racks either, for that matter.

#20 ·
Fellas, recently I've been wandering about hi point in general.I have been on the fence sense the slaughter house I worked for ordered two 45 carbines to knock the small heifer and cow buffalo about 4 years ago.(for your information we are an old school grandfathered slaughter house that still did it the old ways but humanely) I have had lots of experience cleaning these bad boys, from the most harsh conditions. Now being on the butcher end of the plant, I never was the operator of the weapon, but with my knowledge of firearms they made me clean the suckers. now on average the knocker ran about 100 rounds a day. I would clean the dang hi point once a week. now when I say harsh conditions, I mean harsh. really cold going to steamy hot environments every day. plus shit and hair and water and steamy moisture, and lack of care from the operator. The dude never took care of the thing, but its a pretty hard environment. Anyway, one day it wouldn't fire after about six months, roughly 2400 rounds. Now I have had no real experience with hi-points but the owner bought a spare. the broken one's receiver was broke in half. no reloads fired, just the worst conditions everyday. so sent the broken one in and used the spare for about 6 months. Then the spare breaks. but we got the original back from the factory almost brand new. sent the spare in. original breaks after 6 months.(you get the idea).
1) This gun was in the most extreme temperatures drastically changing from cold to hot. shit, dirt, hair, and moisture.
2)The gun wasn't properly cared for: 1-operator neglect,2- I wasnt able to clean it more than once a week due to my other obligations at the plant.
3)Hi-point has some of the best customer service I've ever seen in a gun company, no questions asked. always replaced the firearm, (I think they fixed each one about 5 times a piece.

now this is why im on the fence. Now when I think of reliability in a gun, my standard is an ak-glock, mentality. a lot of guns cant live up to that standard, I understand. But I've always thought to myself , if I was the operator of the HI point,with being able to clean it more than once ever 500rds, it might be a good weapon. I wouldn't bet my life on the gun, but that's just my experience with the 45 carbine receiver breaking in half. But I also thought it would be very hard to replicate the conditions it was subjected, in a shooting environment or combat.,and theres a lot of die hard hi point guys out there so I wanted to maybe give it another chance.

personally I think the 45 carbine might of been under built structurally. I haven't heard of any 40 or 9 carbines ever to do something like this.but it could of just been the environment. Ive been eye ballin the shit out of the 9mm carbine and c9, to hopefully prove my theory wrong, im kinda timid to buy a 45 carbine, I think they are cursed. I know this is a long reply lol, but I read this thread and it looks like you blokes might know a thing or two about these particular firearms. I just wanted to know anyone who has abused these guns in regular enviroments with them keep on ticking.

#21 ·
Those two pieces of Bic pen in with the firing pin spring? Well, guess what...that is the ORIGINAL design. Those were intended to protect the firing pin channel from wear and also act as a buffer as the slide cycled all the way back. The design was changed about 5 years ago to a different firing pin and a double spring setup, one small one rides inside a larger one. Makes a loud ratcheting noise until you shoot it a few times and the springs set. There is also a new design extractor with a longer spring as well as a new trigger design. If you call them, they'll send you anything and everything that you might need short of a barrel, slide, frame and sear in about three or four days! I've worked on a few...lol

Reactions: neophyte
#23 ·
I shot a few thousand thru my HP .45 pistol

bought it new, never once did it see cleaning, every once in awhile I sprayed some RemOil in it's general direction.

I shot the cheapest ammo I could find through it. We would go to quarry and shoot every other weekend, at 200-300 rounds a visit. For over a year.

Sold it to buy Christmas presents (along with couple other guns) one year when I was jobless and broke. Don't regret it, but I do miss that ol .45

The ONLY malfunction I ever had with it, my 10 yr old nephew limpwristed it once and stovepiped a round on ejection. Was his very first centerfire handgun shooting experience. Once I showed him how to hold it better, he ran it like a champ.

I had the 9mm pistol too, it was reliable but I didnt like it, wasnt as accurate and just felt horrible in the hand. I had a 9mm carbine (and so did my brother) and I loved everything about it except the 10rd capacity.

I should pick another HP .45 up someday, but they have went up a lot in price, I only payed 120$ for mine new.

#26 ·
No, these are dealers in the area here, no shipping, and they don't charge for transfers on firearms that they sell. Looking at his ads, I guess it's the .380 he sells for $149, the C9 is $169, of course taxes have to come in there somewhere too. I paid $160 for my .JCP .40 but that was a few years ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.