Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was sitting in my blind today and a car I didn't recognize pulled up and stopped at grandma's house. Grandma is dead and my aunt who lives in ohio, and I didn't recognize either person. So I've already got a pistol in my pocket, and I walk down there pistol in hand. I walk in the house and confront these 2. Things got a little funny to me at that point, the female wet herself and they both were apologetic, and left a whole lot faster than they got there. If I'd have had my phone with me I'd have gotten pictures of them and there license plate, but it was at the house.

·
The outer edge of civilization
16,970 Posts
Step 1...change the locks since it sounds like they were in the house.
Step 2...security cameras you can monitor from your place.
Step 3...put game cameras along the driveway if possible.

If you can, spend tonight and tomorrow at Grandma's just in case they come back before you can get the house secured.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was that you that had the firearms stolen from her house a year or so ago? Maybe another member and they caught them and recovered a few.
It was actually my house that the guns were stolen from. Shame I can't set booby traps around the place.

The ones who were caught only got probation out of it, no jail time.

·
Firearm Affectionado
4,256 Posts
You should of had them on the ground until the police arrived. Not invited is trespassing and possibly breaking and entering in this case. I would never walk into someones house uninvited even if the door was wide open. They were up to no good.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You should of had them on the ground until the police arrived. Not invited is trespassing and possibly breaking and entering in this case. I would never walk into someones house uninvited even if the door was wide open. They were up to no good.
With the last 2 only getting probation, I'm doubting the police or the legal system would do much with those 2.

·
Premium Member
6,833 Posts
It was actually my house that the guns were stolen from. Shame I can't set booby traps around the place.
There's bobby traps and there's just leaving things upside down and/or not filled in. A person forgets.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There's bobby traps and there's just leaving things upside down and/or not filled in. A person forgets.
But I'd like to put things like boards with rusty nails in the hole, or rusty barbed wire, or broken glass. Razor wire would be fun, but I don't wanna mess with that stuff

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Like Rocky7 implied, booby traps which are set to injure people are illegal. There was a case in Indiana, I think where guy rigged a shotgun to go off when the door was opened. It worked, crippled the career crook. The guy that owned the farm went to jail. The legal rule is something like, you cannot do indirectly what you cannot do directly. You cannot shoot people for breaking into empty houses. And the bad guy sued him and won. Go figure.

Buy a couple Cheap trail cameras and hide them, one outside where it can get a tag and one that watches the door showing them coming and going. I have 4 cheap ones from Walmart, Wildgame brand I think. They get everything that comes or goes up my driveway, even rabbits and cats and great pictures of cars and tags. Pretty good at night also. Never go anywhere without your phone.

If you can put up some kind of a gate that can lock and no trespassing signs. That makes it a crime if they say they are just looking around maybe wanting to buy the vacant house or saying they were lost. If they go past that sign that is crime.

We had a vacant street with a dead end directly across from my house in town a few years ago. I went up there and ran off a couple of drug deals in progress. My wife got worried about the kids and the drug deals not even 100 yards away. We got lucky. Some guy went down to a hardware store and bought 50 pounds of these roofing felt nails and completely covered that street in them. We saw one poor guy with 3 or 4 nails in his tires. The drug deals stopped. We are truly thankful for that guy. Of course you would have to drive around them also. Maybe have a locked gate for you to enter and leave a
gap for any would be thieves.

·
Registered
460 Posts
It saddens me to realize what the liberal education system has done to society.

The common living things that used to be taught in kindergarten, (yes sir,no sir please, thank you, wait your turn, keep your hands to your self, tell the truth, if it's not yours don't touch it, ETC.) Are no longer deemed important in life.
In the world today, fat girls with blue hair scream at senior citizens having lunch in an outdoor restaurant, with impunity.

A new target, the "Social justice warrior" has invaded our cities and towns. Our once admired political, and justice systems have been ruined by permissive hooligans, Mom put away the tried and true wooden spoon.

Personally, I'm sick and tired of this crap, I'm not going to try and re educate the miscreants any more. I'm just gonna pull the weeds.

RED

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
My daughter and son-in-law have cameras around their property that are small, and not very noticeable. The cameras transmit images to their cell phones. Also they have a sensor in the driveway that signals their phones when something goes past it in the driveway. With that is a door lock that they can also operate from the cell phone - so if there is an emergency, they can unlock the door. He said there is no extra charge to his cell phone plan,

Of course, this all depends on cell phone reception in the area. (Great where they live but poor around my house)

I don't know particulars - just that they have the capabilities, and my SIL bought everything through Sam's Club and Amazon.

But it sounds like either druggies are looking to support their habits, or squatters are looking to occupy your Grandma's house.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts