Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts
yeah a smashed thumb kinda hurts but when you can litterally dump the garand in the middle of the pacific ocean for a week pick it up and it will still fire I dunno I just think the Garand is more reliable

garand same here... im just flat out in love with mine i've owned it for about 6 months and no problems so far.. and yeah i would say 30-06 is my favorite round of all time... personal opinion.... and yes the garand is extremely reliable

Gosh I havent checked this in a long time.
I loved My Hakim but it was Wayy to Weird and with the fireing pin breaking and the extractor issues and the gas valve being corroded and not adjustable as it was designed to be, and because the muzzelbrake accentuated the report to the point that I now have definant permanant hearing loss,.......
not to mention the constant danger of recieving a hakim thumb (much more mangeling that a M1 thumb)
I had to let the old girl Go,
I wish I had not.
I still have My M1 I think I will allways keep that one.

WyrTwister, compared to the Hakim, the M1 Garand is much handier. I do not know if you ever saw a Hakim, but they are gigantic. The Hakim is also quite a bit more powerful, especially at long ranges. I am quite aware of the difference between a M1 Garand and a M1 carbine.

I own a Hakim and have fired it , though not over about 300 rounds .

The 8 mm may be a little more powerful , at long range , if loaded with a 196 grain bullet .

But the Garand shot 173 grain AP in WWII .

Besides , with my eyesight , long range is not much of an option . :-(

8 mm ammo used to be much cheaper , do not know if it still is ?

I also have a Garand in 7.62 NATO , that ammo is still a little cheaper than .30-06 . But then , I reload .

General Patten was right , a Garand is a great rifle .

Wyr
God bless

I like my M1 Garand A LOT! I'm sure the Hakim is a fine rifle in it's own right. But it's like the dif between a Suzuki and a Harley-Davidson. There is no comparison. If you've never owned a Harley, you couldn't understand. The Garand is the Harley and the Hakim isn't. And it's just as good for distance with the .30'06 or .308 versions. They are magnificent masterpieces of engineering and utility. And the kick is lighter than an M-14. Garands are built exactly the way they are for the purpose of being the best battle rifle ever conceived. It took 20 years to design that perfection into that rifle. Easy to use, powerful, accurate, low recoil, and sturdy enough to take !!!! and still shoot. Mr. Garand can be quite proud.
I have an original mistreated but rescued 16" bayonet for mine. It goes on and eventually I can get it back off. It took an edge easy. And Garands make a good club if necessary.

Anyone have a source for a field guage for my Ljungman, 6.5x55? I understand the Forster is not to the same military spec as the Ljungman so I need an alternative. Also, parts for my Hakim seem in short supply. Have a good one!

Anyone have a source for a field guage for my Ljungman, 6.5x55? I understand the Forster is not to the same military spec as the Ljungman so I need an alternative. Also, parts for my Hakim seem in short supply. Have a good one!

I do not shoot it if it closed on my Foster no-go .

This is especially important if you reload . The looser the HS , the more it works / stretches / fatigues the brass .

Wyr
God bless

Here we go, A.H.

CAN someone post a picture of what a Hakim is, for those that don't know ?
Thank you . Mike
A Hakim is an Egyptian version of a semi-automatic rifle originally made by Sweden. click this link for a short Wikipedia article with pictures:

Hakim Rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can click on the pics to enlarge them. It isn't the prettiest rifle in the world, but few semi-automatics are (at least to my old-fashioned, biased tastes).

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.