close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hammered on another forum...

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BenP, Mar 27, 2002.

1. BenP

BenP G&G Newbie

I was trying to explain some of what happened on this site to a group of people at another forum, and my position on it all. In response I got hammered pretty hard. Please read this and let me know what you think. I thought I was pretty amenable, but apparently not.

It is pretty easy for a guy like me to overlook the abrasiveness of some conflicts. If it doesn't concern me, I prefer to let people work out their differences. However, I, like most, do not tolerate open beligerence or senseless arguing that just takes up space without carrying any point. Opinions not supported by facts are just like excuses, which are just like... At gun and game, I tried to mediate more than a few conflicts and get people focused back onto constructive discussion of the issues. Sometimes it worked, sometimes the offenders left or were kicked off. I would rather give another person the chance to get back on track than send them packing, but I too have limits.

Likewise, I am not easily offended by more colorful (and perhaps profane) language usage. That's a product of the environments I was raised in and learned to function with. I don't condone the excessive use of such speech, and I discourage my kids from using it because some people will get the wrong impression about them if they do, but it's the context of the language that is what really offends people. I don't take offense because to me it's just another (*@#$^) adjective. For others, the words evoke a programmed negative emotional response based on their upbringing and belief structure. For those types, use of profanity tends to inhibit their ability to absorb the point of the debate or discussion, and thus limits their ability to contribute. For that reason, I only tend to use expletives with people that seem to be able to deal with them, or when I need to generate special emphasis on a statement, regardless of who it is (usually when I have to command someone to do something without critical thought). I find that overuse of expletives tends to diminish their effectiveness, and causes some to avoid dialogue with me, so I prefer some restraint.

Regardless of what you believe, taking offense to simple expletives is a programmed response. It's just as easy to accept that one could be programmed to take offense to the use of the words green, gosh or boloney. These are subjective interpretations of the reader that have nothing to do with the intentions of the author. That said, in our society, majority rules, and if most of the people woke up tomorrow and decided that the color of the sky was now going to be called "Tom" instead of blue, we'd start calling it Tom from now on. Since effective communication is ruled by the majority, those who plan to communicate effectively must conform their vocabulary to what is nominally accepted, or risk public scrutiny and censure.

The bottom line is this: if you are trying to get your point across in a conversation, you will be most successful if you use language that is generally acceptable, and support your position as much as possible with facts, or at least logical arguments.

2. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

Ben I know the site your talking about, Personally I have not wrote anything on that site because I feel we really have something nice here to build on. Jesse and Chris are doing a great job at making this a very welcome place to be and the resources that are now available in the way of moderators is awesome. Don Williams will be a great resource for us all - I know I'll be picking his brain. I love Sig's handguns and Jesse is an expert with them as well.

3. Tober

Tober Firearm Aficionado Forum Contributor

Well I have been on this new format for only a short while and I am begining to pick it up rather fast, I love this reply and unlike most places, they make you press reply, this is great options.

I like what the new admin has done. Keep it up guys.

4. ReRide

ReRide G&G Newbie

nebr
    hammered,,,,,,,,,opinions

i've been on other sites and if some of the people disagree they get really nasty and smart about it.

I've really enjoyed the fact that on this site people can have differing opinions on a matter and they can discuss civilailly the differences.

After all different people may have different opinions and the lord knows the gun industry is full of them .

And most of them can be right, i don't have to agree .
    but no sense in getting nasty about it.

keep it a open minded forum, please,,, we will all be happier:cool:

5. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

BenP: I've copied your summary statement above to this reply. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with your statement. This is something I might have said using practically your same words.

Using terms that are understood by both parties is a must for good communication.

Using facts and good logic instead of emotion definitely makes sense to me, too. I find it really difficult, if not impossible, to argue with someone who is totally emotional and doesn't have the facts straight or becomes illogical.

(BenP's Statement:)
    "The bottom line is this: if you are trying to get your point across in a conversation, you will be
    most successful if you use language that is generally acceptable, and support your position as
    much as possible with facts, or at least logical arguments."

Last edited: Mar 27, 2002
  6. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

i 'm not sure of the site you refer to(but i think i know) very knowledgeble people there, snobs though and their do-do doesnt stink either. post tend to be ignored unless your one of the cliche. every so often i go to their M1/M-14 board and interrupt their praying to John C. Garand and stir up a hornets nest with my beliefes.that which the M-1 garand, great as it is; is not a collector item its a common mil-surp. it was a tool of the infantry, turned out in the millions and used and abused to no end.:rolleyes:

7. BenP

BenP G&G Newbie

Thanks everyone. I was hoping it wasn't just me being totally confused and sending the wrong message. You're a great bunch, which is why I just can't stay away from this forum.

Catch ya later.