Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was watching Youtube the other day, and there was a video of a man building a cabin with only a hatchet and a hand saw. Got to looking at that hand saw and was quite impressed. It had a long blade on it, nothing like the ones I see in the stores all the time with their 7" to 15" blades. This one had a 25" blade (I think) and he made short work of 10" logs. Got me to thinking that with no gas or electric in a SHTF situation, this might be a good item to own. At least, I did until I saw the price tag on these.

Silky Saws
20" blade = $200
25" blade = $320
40" blade = $1000

This put me on the search....for a cheaper version. No one makes a saw of this type with a 18" or longer blade! Well, I say that. Home Depot does, called the Barnel Ultra Reach 23-1/2" blade ($100...fair price), but no Home Depot in the world shows them in stock??? I guess they're discontinued. I've since looked everywhere and can't find anything, anywhere. How can only one company in the world make these? Wish I knew what I was doing...I'd go into business.

Does anyone know of any 18"+ bladed folding saws available....well....anywhere???

Here is the 'Cabin by Hand' video if you're interested.

Wonderment :)
animalspooker: Sir; for information 馃

Tuttle Tooth (Champion)
This type has two cutting teeth to each raker tooth.
It is most common to use the Tuttle Tooth style for hardwoods.
tuttle-champion-tooth-bladePerforated Lance Tooth
This hand saw has four cutting teeth to each raker tooth.
lance-tooth-blade
It鈥檚 common to use the Perforated Lance Tooth style for cutting softwoods.
However, many people have used each interchangeably throughout history.

One Man Crosscut Saw - 3 feet
Lynx 3鈥 One Man

Registered
Go to the Amish hardware store near you. The one near me has everything you really "need" and their prices are not much different than every where else IF YOU ARE COMPARING THE same items and brands apples to apples.

Resident Curmudgeon
Start hunting for farm auctions or sales. You might turn something up. A 2 man saw would be a good thing to have if you can't find a long 1 man.
Two man saws, ice saws, hay saws, and those long saws, some with vertical handles above the blade for better control and power, turn up regularly at the Elephant's Trunk. Backcountry flea markets might also be a potential source for affordable ones, plus which you can bargain.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Two man saws, ice saws, hay saws, and those long saws, some with vertical handles above the blade for better control and power, turn up regularly at the Elephant's Trunk. Backcountry flea markets might also be a potential source for affordable ones, plus which you can bargain.
Elephants Trunk??

Registered
Elephants Trunk??
Cyrano's big flea market that he sells at. He posts regular reports about it. Kind of interesting actually. From the descriptions it reminds me of the big ones we used to go to on Long Island when we visited my Sister in Law. they were held in the horse track parking lots. They always seemed to have the best Italian sausage with peppers and onions. Plus the giant Dill pickles for .50 cents each.

Registered
Flea Market:
Sky Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Mode of transport

Flea Market:
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Sky

Swap meet:
Daytime Plant Window Infrastructure Building

Swap meet:
Footwear Building Automotive design Motor vehicle Engineering

If it is neat, organized, indoors, sanitary, and/or most people can be understood when they talk, it is a swap meet.

If they sell everything from goats and chicken feed, to bootleg movies and fake Coach bags, to guns, ammo and tools, it is dirty, and disorganized, (including food vendors) and cars can be pulled up to the tables/booths/rickety shacks, it is a flea market.

I say this for the clarification of any other Southerners that may be reading, because when Yankees say "flea market" they usually mean "swap meet."

A REAL flea market is a step away from a SE Asian market, without the dog meat. The one in Clanton even has a slaughterhouse on site.

Registered
I've used something similar to this for years and they are really inexpensive (even with a few extra blades). They typically cut fast, are light and come apart fast and easily. They would probably fit into most bug out bags.
Font Rectangle Technology Automotive mirror Parallel

Reactions: neophyte

Registered
Wood Tool Gas Pollution Grass
Tool Bicycle part Font Wire stripper Fashion accessory

I have several of those heavy duty pruning saws that are from 10-21 inches long as well as several of the bow saws. But in my old age, I have a couple of 12 inch chain saws that take batteries that solve every problem you might have, short of what a gas chain saw is needed for. If you are just cutting limbs or trees that are say 8 inches, the little battery saws just zip right through them.

Just Google large pruning saws and you find them at all price points. Or you can Google "vintage pruning saws" and you get these.

Eyebrow Jaw Eyelash Organism Font

Attachments

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Spoke to dad about the saw you are inquiring about. He says there's one in the shed down at his place that grandpa use to use. It will probably never be used again, but at the same time, it won't be going anywhere.
Thanks TEASE!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts