Handgun cleaning kit

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Sprtyxd40, May 26, 2008.

1. Sprtyxd40

Sprtyxd40 G&G Newbie

Hey all. Im looking for a good cleaning kit for my XD 40. I have looked at your basic kits for 15.-20.00 and came across the Borsenake. Is the boresnake a good enough cleaner to do the job?

thanks

2. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Suspended

Some weeks, even months ago, I picked up a "Super Deluxe 61 Piece Universal Brass Gun Cleaning Kit" at Wally World...for a song and a dance. It'll take care of anything I presently have, and then some.

The brass cleaning rods included in the kit are helpful for more than just safe cleaning...they work well should you get a round lodged in the barrel, caused by a miss-load at the bench....already needed such (which initially created the need to buy this kit) and they did the job really well.

The bore snake is nice to carry along in your ruck sack for a quick field cleaning...

Last edited: May 26, 2008

3. Turbo

Turbo G&G Newbie

Real nice kit.

I think this is the cheapest I have found em.

Thats not too bad.

4. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Suspended

Yes, a good buy even with the shipping and handling cost included...especially so with the cost of gas to drive to Wally World.

I paid about $49 + 6% tax for mine...

5. Turbo

Turbo G&G Newbie

That's not bad. Anytime I buy something like that online I do it through the Exchange so I don't have to pay tax.

6. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Suspended

The "Exchange"? Is that a base exchange, AAFES?

7. This is for a .22. You can find them for just about any handgun caliber. I've got 2, one that covers, 9mm,.38 and .357 and another that covers 10mm,40 S&W and .41 calibers. They come in pretty handy, have a bore guide on the rod and comes with a brass brush,jag and cotton swab which all get s stored in the handle. I use these kits as well as use a bore snake.

Amazon.com: Kleen Br Pockit Set 22: Sports & Outdoors

Just found the 9mm,.38 and .357 one also.
    Amazon.com: Cal .38 .357 9MM Kleen Bore Pockit Handgun Cleaning Kits: Sports & Outdoors

These can be found all over, not just through Amazon. Amazon was just the first place that came up and all I needed was an example for you to see.

There are many kits out there. This particular one I found to be very handy,compact and convenient. The only other items you have to have/carry are some patches, a can of CLP and a silicone cloth to wipe the firearm down with when all done. These are great for a quick cleaning in the filed and fit perfect in a pocket. Especially if you like to wear BDU's.

8. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Suspended

Wow, that kit would fit nicely in a ruck sack and come in handy for an extended field trip...

9. Turbo

Turbo G&G Newbie

MCX, One of my buddies works part time at the gun counter.

10. Sprtyxd40

Sprtyxd40 G&G Newbie

thanks for the ideas guy's

11. Leroy Walling

Leroy Walling G&G Newbie

Airlite cleaning

What do I use to get powder buildup off my S&W Airlite .22? The frame is aluminum and finish is clear coat like on your car. I use powder solvent and a nylon brush.
    My old steel revolver will take a bronze brush or maybe even steel bristles but I don't want to mess up this lightweight .22.
    thanks
    leroy

12. Honestly, I just bought the universal walmart special cleaning kit. Comes with rods and brushes that fit, .22, 9mm, .40, .45, .223, .308 and 30.06 and I paid like 16 dollars for it.

I works just like every other cleaning kit IMO, and I have used it to clean my 9mm and my rifle and it gets them clean.

If anyone can say that the cheap ones aren't any good please tell me, but when I was looking at them they all physically look the same to me.

Oh, and then I also just use an old tooth brush and some Q-Tips on top of that.

13. Cheap ones are fine. The brushes may not have as many brislles, and I'm sure it's not a ball bearing handle, but it gets the job done. Over the years I have accumulated so many cleaning items I had to buy a two drawer tool box for them.
    I did buy a nice one piece carbon fiber rod for my rifles, other than that, q-tips and tooth brushes work great.

14. Otis! Go to their web site and search for handgun kits.
    Also there are kits that fit into the handle, they have a rod, brushes, and so on, got mine at Wal-Mart.

15. A piece of clothes hangar and worn out drawers work pretty good too.