Handgun NIGHT SIGHTS

Discussion in 'General Handgun' started by FortyXDM, Sep 14, 2020.

1. ItstheHOFF

ItstheHOFF G&G Evangelist

VP9LE - factory
    Sig P365 - factory
    USP45 - trijicon
    G20 - ameriglo

TXplt, Ten Man, jerry and 2 others like this.
  2. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    On my .357 LCR. Just reached over and took a pic of it. It’s about 5-6 yrs old and not as bright as it used to be. IMG_6806.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app

TXplt, Becks42, 455rocket and 3 others like this.

3. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    Good comparison shot.

TXplt, neophyte and jerry like this.
  4. FortyXDM

FortyXDM G&G Evangelist Staff Member

Jerry - That is without a doubt the most unique photo of a pistol I have ever seen. Also, you are getting up too early ! :D Jerry's pistol.jpg

TXplt, Becks42, BigEd63 and 5 others like this.
  5. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    Or staying up too late! :p

TXplt, 455rocket, neophyte and 3 others like this.
  6. jerry

USA
    Wife had a bit of an asthma attack. Once I’m up, I’m up. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game

7. Kmcdowell

Kmcdowell G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Omaha NE
    Two of my four Sigs have night sights although my P320RX also has a Romeo 1 red dot. My P938 just has the Sig factory night sights which is my everyday carry gun.

8. FortyXDM

My dream safe at midnight:

Untitled-1 copy.jpg

Libs would think this is a painting of starry night !

TXplt, Becks42, austinjoe13 and 6 others like this.
  9. jerry

USA
    Whist on the subject, front sight only or front and rear?

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game

TXplt, FortyXDM and neophyte like this.
  10. FortyXDM

Ha ..... These little guys were taken from your photo.....:)

But if forced to say...............FRONT.

Huey Rider and jerry like this.
  11. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I have night sights on all of my handguns except my single action revolver and my .22LR Pistol.
    I have also have tritium night sights on some of my shotguns and rifles.

Big mix between Meprolights, Trijicon HDs, Heini Straight 8's, Sig Siglite Night Sights and their newer and much better Sig X Ray Night sights for the handguns.

Side note,

Just some brain food but

For handgun setups that only have tritium on the front sight but not the rear.... very similar to shooting handguns with NO night sights at all... in low light situations people tend to focus (over focus) on the front sight and dismiss the rear sight (usually because they cant see it in low light so they zoom right in on the front sight if they are using their sights at all...

The very common result of this is that because the shooter is so extra front sight focused but with no rear sight to level it into people end up pointing the gun higher than they think they are.

Up close at most self defense shooting ranges this really wont matter all too much but if you are at say... 15 yards (which could happen in parking lot distances or house to yard distances)... the result really starts to be noticeable... like aiming center mass ends up putting rounds in the face/neck area or over the target completely. And if you are aiming high center mass where you should be you are extremely high to over shoot your target.

I see this happen a lot with people doing quals with off duty guns or smaller guns or revolvers that have no night sights when doing low light quals... if they are going to miss this is usually where its at and going high is usually where the rounds miss.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    TXplt, Ten Man, Ranger4 and 6 others like this.
  12. jerry

USA
    Interesting. Didn’t have a choice on the LCR, but to your point, anything close or beyond 15 yards is probly too far for a J frame type / size wheel gun.

TXplt and neophyte like this.
  13. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I have two snubbies, one is a Ruger LCR and the other is Smith and Wesson M&P 340

I put a Tritium night sight XS Big Dot on the LCR and the SW already came with one on it. The M&P 340 has a nice U Notch rear sight too that you just bury the big dot into. No tritium on rear sights for either of these two but better than nothing.

For the LCR you just put nestle the big dot so that the bottom edges of the circle lay into the standard shallow revolver |_| notch.

I still use the SW J frame as my "going out for a run" gun so I still have to qual with it at work... The day light course makes you shoot it out to 25 yards which is a bit ridiculous for a J Frame... I can usually keep all the rounds in the 9 ring or the 8 ring on a B27 target, you just have to have a nice squeeze and use the time in your time limit. But the Big dot with the U notch helps a LOT vs the standard crappy narrow trench sight picture on most revolvers.

Whats sort of stupid is that our 5 shot revolver course has you shoot more rounds at the 25 than the full sized semi auto course does. o_O I attribute this to some degree of old school elitism because back in the day, the people who designed all our qual courses were all NRA high master revolver competition shooters. So they just made the crap extra hard just because...

we should probably change that but .... it never happens. :rolleyes:

TXplt, jerry, BigEd63 and 2 others like this.
  14. Becks42

Becks42 G&G Enthusiast

NW PA
    My Hellcat came from the factory with the Tritium/Luminescent for the front sight, and tactical rack u-notch for the rear sight. I absolutely love it!

15. Ranger4

Ranger4 G&G Evangelist

I think mastering the J Frame is just like anything else you just need to shoot them a lot and learn to master that short sight radius of the short barrel.

I was issued a J frame in law enforcement long ago and mastered it pretty well. I owned a J F frame in 22 at that time, so I shot that gun a lot. They had the same grips which I think helped. Our agency had a similar qualification program like the military developed by the NRA for law enforcement . Every time I fired for qualification over about 6 years I got the expert rating because I had fired the little 22 so much.

Today I own several J frames and love the, but do not have night sights on any, I tried the big dot front sight but do not like them, they do not give off much light and they are too big for daylight shooting, so not for me. I do recommend the Crimson Trace laser grips for any J Frame, they solve the issue of the short sight radius and they solve the night issue. If you can see the outline of your target, you can put that dot in it and it makes for an ez shot. So, that is what I recommend for J frames used at night. And if your gun has the ability to have both night sights and a laser that is even better. IMHO

Ten Man and neophyte like this.
  16. jerry

USA
    My LCR has the big dot as well. When I first put it on, learned real quick to park it a top the l_l or it shot pretty low. The only thing I’m concerned about is it dimming. Kind of like most of the LE trade in guns where they advertise night sights but they may be dim.

17. FortyXDM

Jerry - Some great news buddy..........
    They are multiplying.... Safe.jpg

TXplt, Huey Rider, jerry and 4 others like this.
  18. Alex Roderick

Alex Roderick G&G Regular

USA
    I'm a fan of XS Big Dots.

19. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

Most all of my autoloaders have night sights of some type. The gold standard (IMHO) are the Trijicon in 3-dot if you're going 3-dot but the Tru-Glos are nice too with that light pipe. I've a G43 with these on it.

As I've aged and my near/intermediate vision has gone a bit downhill (and having progressive lenses) I've migrated into a big dot fan. They are NOT the best sight for 'sport' range work but are awesome (IMHO) in transitional light and darkness. I've got them on the Glocks and several other guns and have fitted big dots to the LCR, SP-101, etc. I really like the 'dot the I' and at night or moving they work great. They are harder than traditional sights (which uses the bounded post up front with the notch in the back) in that you really have to work to get them precisely in that "V" notch for sport work. But for a handgun I think they're great and work with the progressives or not. I certainly CAN hold my own with notch and post guys but it takes work.

In fact was out shooting the G23 (edit--had the wrong number in there which is easy to do as I age lol) in TX today with the big dots. A solid hit knocked one of the bolted swing plates off (the bolts sheared for some reason--probably fatigue failure--but the Gold Dot 165s seemed to really pound the steel while the 9mm the guy was shooting next to me seemed underpowered). This drew some widespread guffaws and scoffing and a general good natured hard time when I broke the target but I fixed it and felt better about life. It did validate my choice of carry ammo........at least if I'm ever attacked by an 8" steel plate.

The G20 has an RMR, the G17 the trijicon suppressor sights and rmr. But most all of the carry guns are Glock big dots with the exception of the sometimes carry and range gun in FL (VP-40) which has traditional notch and post/3-dot.

The Sig P365 is it's own animal with the meprolight modular.

I would put some type of luminous sight on ANY carry gun.

One of the main disadvantages of my Smith 69--which I really like as a trail gun--is you can't easily fit it with night sights. So for carry away from a nearby shotgun/rifle/PDW it's normally some form of Glock there.

FWIW, an RMR is kind of a good thing for a farm/trail gun in that I'm stuck with the shot I get be it something 2-legged, 4-legged, groundhog, coyote, etc. While I picture a handgun as a shorter range tool, I sometimes get shots at varmints farther away than I want and in an outdoor setting you can get ridiculously long shot distances; at least if you might choose to take the shot. So if I want to take it I've gotta be proficient at some stupid long distances.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    Alex Roderick, neophyte and jerry like this.
  20. rangerjd

rangerjd G&G Evangelist

I have night sights on 4 of my handguns. Sig Sauer P365 came with night sights, S&W M&P 9mm and S&W M&P9c both have Amerglo night sights and my Glock 20sf, primarily bear gun, has a ghost ring night sight, because when thing go bump in the night, I want to know I can see my sights. I've seen handguns with just the front sight as a night sight and it seems useless to me.
    I don't have night sights on any of my revolvers, but I'm thinking about putting them on one .357 and one .44 magnum, just because I occasionally carry one of them for bear protection. I have lighted scopes on 2 of my ARs and 2 of my lever guns, just in case. My 2 ARs and one lever gun has a lighted 1x6 and my Browning BLR has a lighted 1x8.

TXplt and neophyte like this.