Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the AMERICAN RIFLEMAN mag. has picked the TAURUS JUDGE as the handgun of the year in its most recent issue. .....CONGRATULATIONS:)

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
I don't dought it. Sales have been high for the Judge. So I suppose thats how a firearms becomes to be a gun of the year.
From Sales.

Next Year I would guess it will be be the Ruger LCP 380 or may be the SR 9 made by Ruger too.
Sales for the LCP are good I'm told. Plus there's waiting list for them here, so maybe they are else where.
A.H

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
19,016 Posts
Mine work great and are a blast to shoot !

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Considering how much we've talked about it here, I'm not entirely surprised.

Not to mention the awesome ability to shoot the .45 Colt and the .410 shotshell. It's so wonderfully multi-purpose.

So, TXplt, how's it for size? Potentially a decent CCW gun?

- Coeloptera

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
As much as I admire Taurus guns in general, I just don't like the Judge. I'd rather have a plain DA revolver in .45 Colt that doesn't have that freakish long cylinder. Big turnoff. Just how useful is a .410 out of a 3" barrel?

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
As much as I admire Taurus guns in general, I just don't like the Judge. I'd rather have a plain DA revolver in .45 Colt that doesn't have that freakish long cylinder. Big turnoff. Just how useful is a .410 out of a 3" barrel?
about as useful as a sawed off .410 with 5 shots

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=jl-ZIo-Wztc]YouTube - Taurus The Judge - dirtydozensbunker.com forum[/ame]

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
19,016 Posts
Considering how much we've talked about it here, I'm not entirely surprised.

Not to mention the awesome ability to shoot the .45 Colt and the .410 shotshell. It's so wonderfully multi-purpose.

So, TXplt, how's it for size? Potentially a decent CCW gun?

- Coeloptera
The UL is pretty light, even when loaded and not too bad to carry--on occasion I'll carry the car gun in a fanny pack. But they are fairly large and bulky compared to a snubby like a smith 442/642/340PD or even a 3" SP-101. They're great for short range car and home defense guns--you can load 'em with bird, buck and then Colt (which is what I do). You get 3 or 5 pellets of 000 depending on model. The main thing is, you get a probable hit in an adverse environmental or quick shot scenario (although our habits should be better than to rely on this; still, well trained LEO's have missed at close ranges as well). For CCW, I usually stick w/my snubbies or the P220.

I'd see it as a hiking/car/home defense/potentially bike kind of gun. The CCW portion gives me a little pause for crowded places in that the shot charge spreads out extremely quickly, covering a silohette in about 7 yards or less. For me, potentially too much of a chance of collateral damage. At 50', there's about 1 to 1.5 feet typically between buck. Colts are plenty accurate for a snubby even given the slow twist and long jump.

Here's a link with the dimentions:

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

They can't keep 'em on the shelves here. Great for ranchers and snakes, hogs, etc.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
they do have them in longer brls. 61/2" long brl. my gun shop has them
but cant keep em in stock either.

they are selling for $319-$349 not bad for a good pistol!:)

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
442/642/340PD They're great for short range car and home defense guns--you can load 'em with bird, buck and then Colt (which is what I do). You get 3 or 5 pellets of 000 depending on model. .

Here's a link with the dimentions:

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

They can't keep 'em on the shelves here. Great for ranchers and snakes, hogs, etc.

Cheers :)
I wouldn't load bird shot for defense unless you plan to shoot someone in the face and they're within arm's length. Just stick to the .45 Colt in all 5 chambers and you can't go wrong.

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
I'm not shocked, the Judge has been extremely popular, since it's introduction.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I don't know why, but I always end up buying a 1911 (colt or clones) pistol. I go to a gun shop and hold all different kinds of pistols, but I always end up with a 1911. For me that is the real thing. LOL

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
I don't have anything against the Judge but I don't think I'll ever be buying one.
Yep the Colt model 1911's are nice too, but I want a pistol I can conceal easy so there out too.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Interesting, and about what I thought. I didn't want to burst any bubbles by criticizing the .410's puny capability as a defense round, but the video is pretty convincing. If you have a Judge, load it with .45 Colt and forget the .410. Better yet, get a 6 shot revolver in .45 Colt and forget the dual-purpose .45/.410 altogether, it's not that great an idea.

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
So you'd get up and walk away with bird shot 2 inches into you in more than likely, many places? lol Personally, I'd hate to get hit with bird shot coming from any .410 firearm from 10ft away.

I mean for personal defense, I wouldn't be aiming at the toes, would you be? Would anyone be? No, of course not. I'd be aiming at the chest. And 2 inch penetration into the chest or even the stomach area isn't going to tickle. And then with the ability to follow up 1 or 2 more times, and then have a .45 Long Colt for a final shot, if necessary, well um, I think it would work just fine. lol

However, the lack of 2 1/2" shot shells does appear to be a problem. I'll admit that it would be anyhow.

But wait a minute, 4 and a 1/2 inches of penetration with 000 buck that is .34 diameter weighing 62 grains not enough in a bad guy? Um, I'd have to disagree. I truly think 4 and 1/2 inches of any projectile would have me flat on my butt/back even.I sure wouldn't want to push it and ask for another jolt. lol

After reading the entire content, I've come to the conclusion, I still wouldn't want to get hit with any of it and I think no trespasser or criminal would either. And if anyone did, 2 1/2" or 41/2" of penetration of any metal object into a human would genuinely make them stop and think twice before proceeding. Most don't like to be shot back at to begin with. Most go after those that are unarmed anyhow. In the end, to have something, anything, is better then having nothing...

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
So you'd get up and walk away with bird shot 2 inches into you in more than likely, many places? lol Personally, I'd hate to get hit with bird shot coming from any .410 firearm from 10ft away.
People who have been hit with lightly scattered birdshot have been known to become very indignant and upset with the person that peppered them. People hit with .45 cal projectiles usually become very acquiescent.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts