Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im gona start reloading for a 9mm pistol soon, wondering if there is any big differance when loading for a pistal than a rifle. ive been reloading for a .243 for over a year.
also im gona be using green dot because that is the only powder i could find locally for a pistal, would anyone recomend another powder over this one, i think just about any properly loaded ammo will be as accurite as i am with the pistal.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
There are a few differences. If you buy carbide or titanium nitride dies, you don't have to use lube and you have to flare the case mouth before seating the bullet. I like Hodgdon Titegroup powder in almost all handgun loads. You don't have to trim your cases very often either, I usually trim them for the first loading and never have to again.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the help, im getting carbibe dies. i dont think that ill have much trouble. i think ill try to find another powder next time.
another question, my nosler book list some compresion loads, i always thought they were somthing to stay away from.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
For 9mm no lube. Unfortunately I reload 357 Sig, .400 Cor-Bon, and might be looking at Tokerov real soon.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I don't like compression loads. I know people that do. It makes my butt pucker. You've got to stay in your own comfort zone. I like unique and 231. There are a few others I like but those are my must haves to me unique is the most versatile powder ever.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
This is true. I use Unique for almost every pistol load except magnums.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i realy appreciate all the imput form all of you. i think that my dies and everything should be in today, but i still have about another hour before i get home.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've had good luck with Titegroup and Power Pistol. I especially like the Power Pistol with either 115 or 124 gr. bullets. The 124 gr. loads have a little more push on the steel poppers than does the typical factory FMJ loads. If you get into .40 SW, look at Longshot. Nice high velocity, reasonable pressure and consistent performance.

·
Registered
11,275 Posts
9's are pretty touchy about bullet seating depth too deep and the pressure rises quickly.
and taper crimp these remember they head space on the case mouth,
and may be more acccurate with one case length then another.

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
Does this Titegroup/Tightgroup (SP?) powder burn clean like Win. 231?

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Does this Titegroup/Tightgroup (SP?) powder burn clean like Win. 231?
GM, Titegroup burns really clean, but does tend to stain cases. As far as I can tell, it doesn't hurt them at all, it just looks sort of like they've been annealed. I like the fact that it produces a lot of energy per grain-it's a very fast powder that is extremely efficient in the 9mm-.38\,357 calibers and it also works well in the .45 ACP etc.
I started out using it for the 9mm Largo \.38 Super with excellent results and moved to reloading for my son's P220
.45. and have also loaded several dozen rounds of 12 ga. dove loads with it.

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
Thanks for the info T-man. I'll have to add it to my list of powders to try. Unfortunately, it looks as if I may have a bunch of 1lb containers of powder as there's a few I want to try.

What's the best way to go about trying powders so that doesn't happen? I mean sure, some powders may work well in one gun say in .45 or .357, but the same powder in the same calibers yet a different brand firearm may not work as well. Am I correct in that thinking? Again, if so, how does or can one prevent having many different powders? Do powder companies have sample packs or anything like that? Probably not but sure wish they did. lol

That question is for anyone that reloads that wants to answer it.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
I don't know if they're still selling them, but Hodgdon came out with a sample pack a few years ago. It came with four smaller containers for a specific purpose ie: handgun, rifle, magnum rifle.
You might talk to your local dealers and see if they have a line on them. You may also want to look @ Graf & Sons - The Reloading Authority , they carry a couple of different brands that are much cheaper to buy than the big names. Two that come to mind are Western Powders and NitroKem (?).

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
You may also want to look @ www.grafs.com-they carry a couple of different brands that are much cheaper to buy than the big names. Two that come to mind are Western Powders and NitroKem (?).
Your link doesn't work. As far as I can see, Grafs only has one powder that isn't one of the big boys...REX. And I'm not too thrilled with the velocities from Rex suggested loads.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i finnaly got to try some of my loads today, it took a couple of trys to get the rounds to eject from my gun, but i think i finnaly got the load right.

·
Registered
217 Posts
What is the difference, between a 100grain 380 and a 100 grain 9mm? I mostly shoot 9mm & would like to reload. I also shoot 380 & wondered if I got dies for both calibers, is there any actual difference in the bullet. They do measure (micrometer) the same diameter. Comments and suggestions appreciated...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts