close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

handgun turkey hunting

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Hangfire, Jun 21, 2002.

1. Hangfire

Hangfire G&G Newbie

I know season is over now but how many of you guys ever try hunting with a handgun for wild turkey? I am gonna try it next time I get a chance. What caliber/gun did you go hunting with?
    I keep seeing turkey bowhunting stories in the hunting mags, made me think why not get the handgunners involved.

hf

2. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    check your regs closely, i looked through ours & they specifically mention what weapons may be used. it would be cool if it could be done. I'm thinking .22 mag, 32HR mag. I don't think that anyone would want us reaching out too far to touch em. The driving factor of the sport is to get em in close, eh? Ie. some states allow pistol hunting (with pistol caliber only) to avoid folks smashing critters with .308 in their contenders. just a thought.

3. Hangfire

Hangfire G&G Newbie

In Bama it's centerfire handguns with mushrooming ammo and the kicker.... open metallic sites ONLY are allowed.
    I got some aperture sites from www.oneraggedhole.com for my Ruger and really like the sucker a bunch. Them other critters that wonder in close enough when I'm long gun hunting better watch out also.

hf

4. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Alabama, man I visited Point Clear two months ago. Just beautiful!
    Your state boys are very serious on firearms though. For a southern state, the laws are TOUGH on travelers! Beautiful state though! Hope to go again soon!

Jesse