Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried a revolver that I could use from a guy I know, and I find that I like a pistol better than a revolver. so I have been looking, and I am doubting between the glock 17 and the auto ordnance 1911.
let me first say why I doubt, the glock 17 is, from whatI have heard a good gun, and if I want, I can buy a 33 round magazine. and the 1911, because I have also heard it is good, and because it is the gun that john travolta uses in pulp fiction(my favourite movie) and his character has the same name as me.
which one do you guys think I should save for?

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
firstly the gun john travolta uses in pulp fiction is really a 9mm star BM, a clone of the 1911

secondly what would you like it for, you shouldnt limit yourself to just those two firearms. i mean alot of people swear by glock, but personally i think the springfield XD is better, or if you want a poly framed handgun look at the FNP series

then there is CZ (my all time favorite) and sig sauer and beretta

all come in a variety of calibers and styles

as for the 1911, you can go wrong, although it is a heavy gun and may not be as practical for carrying, but is not a bad choice by any standards

before you do choose, ask yourself some important questions

1) where do i live and what are the legal issues regarding my choices
2) what do i want it for, fun shooting, self defense, carry, home defense
3) what is your level of expeirence with firearms
4) what is your budget like
5) where can you buy said firearm, or for how much

and of course if you can go to a gun show if nothing else just to hold them and get an idea of what you want or what feels comfortable, or maybe even go to a range where you can rent firearms and try them out before buying

get back to us after you answer these questions and we will give you a more definitive answer. guns are alot like cars, there a bunch out there and take your time before you buy one

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
o.k.

you should not choose any gun based upon the criteria you listed.

There are many sizes and calibers of handgun on the market. You should handle and, if possible, fire as many different guns and calibers as possible. If you cannot fire something perhaps you can see it being fired at a range.

We are all different. What is right for you may not be right for me.

It is about what has, for you, the best balance/sight picture/trigger pull/recoil acceptabiltiy/hand to grip fit/etc.

That will be the gun for you.

As an example the classic 1911 comes with a five inch barrel that gets a bit front end heavy for me in firing it. I do better with the less popular four inch and four and one quarter inch barrelled 1911's.

Best wishes.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Glock you say? 33 round magazine you say? Let me present you with a little more.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qwXO-KTVxk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qwXO-KTVxk[/ame]

·
Banned
10,852 Posts
Personally, if it is going to be your only handgun, I would go with neither. I will say I love my Springfield 1911. I just shot it yesterday. However for an "Only Gun" they are impractical. They are pretty big if you plan on carrying it. They are also heavy for carry. They only hold 7+1 or a few 8+1. Mine lives in my desk and is a home protection gun only. Other than range trips it very rarely sees the outdoors.

Glock, well, I can't come up with one good thing to say about Glock other than I'm sure glad I don't own one.

There are many, many great all purpose handguns out there. A few are Springfield, CZ, Smith & Wesson M&P, Sig, HK, Taurus and the list could go on. Your best thing to do is narrow it down to 3 or 4 and rent all of them. Then decide based on your personal experience rather than someone's suggestion. Don't pick a gun because it looked cool in a movie. THat's just silly. A gun I love you might hate and a gun you love I might hate. A good example I like to use is Glock. There are millions of happy Glock owners out there but I personally wouldn't own one if it were given to me free.

Shoot often and shoot safe.....

·
Premium Member
23,747 Posts
Go to a big gun show and handle dozens of the choices, get some range time with friends, family, co-workers etc. who have some of your choices. Rent some of the other choices you would like to try. The economic reality is that if you buy one that turns out to not please you, you will most assuredly give yourself a financial spanking in the process of trading for one that does please you. I assure you most of us have administered those 'financial spankings' to ourselves.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
I like Para Ordnance 1911's because they come with up to 14rd magazines.

14rds of .45 ACP is a lot of fire power.

I like 1911s because the safety set up is perfect for me. They are also SUPER rugged, very accurate, and downright cool.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts