How do you make shotgun slug loads? I haven't
seen any kits for this or anything. In my area, the
shotgun slugs cost a dollar a piece for fosters and
about $2 for the sabots.
:jaw:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Lots of reloading outfits sell the bits and pieces. One online vendor sells slug kits exclusively, and they seem to work OK. www.slugsrus.com You'll need to have a rollcrimper, not the segmented star dealie used for shotshells. That's included in some of the kits these guys offer.

·
Registered
586 Posts
The Lyman Slug molds are designed to use a regular target style wad and a fold crimp. The fastest load that is recomended for that Wt. is one way to find a load other than manual listed loads which can be hard to fnd. I'D recommend Longshot powder as the one most likely to give you the highest velocities. If you want to try roll crimping shorten the crimp area first so your only rolling over 3/16 to a 1/4". A good roll crimp does not need to be as deep as the factorys use. Warming the case mouth also helps.

Before Winchester bought out BRI, I used to use their reloading sets(wasp waist slug and the sabots). 36.0 grs of Win 571 gave me 1420 fps. and put 5 slugs from my old Mossburg in one 1 1/2" hole at 50 yds. I have loaded some of the Lyman cast slugs for a friend. They shot 2-2 1/2" at 50 yds but I never cronographed them. Loading them was no problem though. Oh yea, Win 571 is off the market but Hodgdon HS-7 is the same powder and Hodgdon states they can be used interchangably wt for wt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts