close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Happened yesterday

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by oneastrix, Aug 6, 2002.

1. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

My old partner was hosting a "Five Shot" qual course for some officers who carry five shot pistols for back up or off duty. Most carry a Taurus 85 or a Smith. There's this one officer in the department who really isn't a gun nut, not really interested in them at all.

This particular officer shows up with Colt snubby, but not like one I had ever seen before. It had bird head grips, and the empty casings were extracted through the side one at a time, like a Ruger Black Hawk. It was blued and in about 90% condition. Looked really antique.

We told him that he had something special there, though none of us could positively ID the gun. Gave him my Taurus to qual with and told him not to fire the Colt.

I looked it up in my Modern Guns book and found it to be an 1877 Colt Lightning worth 15 or 16 hundred bucks! He about fell over when I called him and told him what he had!

2. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

I'm not familiar with that gun but he's lucky to have in his possession such a gun. That's almost like the stories on "Antique Road Show".

I'm sort of like you...I would question whether or not it should be shot. Probably not.

Oxford

3. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    Isn't that the way it always is, only the uninterested end up with a real 'goodie'. "Oh that thing, it's just some old gun my grandfather gave me"

4. WHAT DO I CARE?

WAS IN A GUN SHOP ONE DAY WHEN A YOUNG MAN CAME IN WITH A VINTAGE WINCHESTER AND WANTED AMMO TO FIT. HE SAID HE HAD JUST BOUGHT THE RIFLE FOR AMOUT $50. HE WANTED TO GO DEER HUNTING AND JUST WANTED A BANG ABOUT GUN. WAS IN ABOUT 90% AND WHEN WE TOLD HIM WHAT IT MIGHT BE WORTH HE COULD HAVE CARED LESS. I TOLD HIM HE COULD PICK ANY GUN IN THE SHOP IF HE WOULD SELL THE WINCHESTER TO ME. NOTHING MOVED HIM ALL HE COULD SEE WAS A CHEAP DEER RIFLE. SOME TIMES YOU CAN NOT WIN

DANA

5. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

I was at a gun show and a guy asked about a Singer .45 that his grandfather had gotten during WWII. He said his friend offered him 1300 for it. Asked what I would give for it...3500 told him, he was like why is that? I said they are worth with the description you said a lot more in the tens of thousands. I saw him 4 months later completely different he sold it for close to 21,000 to a private collector via the net.

6. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    Chris, that is definately ALOT of money. But I just don't think I could sell a .45 that ol'Grandad brought back from the big one. It would become a family heirloom (sp).