Harkin Suggests Military Background Makes McCain Unfit to be Commander-in-Chief

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by LarryO1970, May 22, 2008.

1. Iowa Sen. Tom Harkin is catching grief for suggesting John McCain’s family history of military service makes the presumptive Republican presidential nominee unfit to be commander-in-chief.

Harkin, who has a history of embellishing his own military record, told Iowa reporters last week that McCain’s background as the son and grandson of Navy admirals creates a “dangerous” situation because he can only view the world through the prism of the military.

“He has a hard time thinking beyond that,” Harkin said, according to The Des Moines Register. “I think he’s trapped in that. Everything is looked at from his life experiences, from always having been in the military, and I think that can be pretty dangerous.”

The paper also quotes Iowa’s junior senator telling reporters, “It’s one thing to have been drafted and served, but another thing when you come from generations of military people and that’s just how you’re steeped, how you’ve learned, how you’ve grown up.”

Military service is not a foreign concept to U.S. presidents. Since Franklin D. Roosevelt, who spent seven years as assistant secretary of the Navy, Bill Clinton is the only president to have not served in some branch of the military.

McCain, who touts his family history on the campaign trail, was a Vietnam War pilot who spent five and a half years in a prisoner of war camp rather than accept the North Vietnamese offer to release him ahead of his fellow troops because he was the son of an admiral.

On the stump, McCain often discusses the need to continue operations in Iraq until the country can securely manage its own affairs, and has suggested that the U.S. could leave a presence there for as long as 100 years if the country is secure.

In a recent speech, however, the Arizona senator laid out a vision of his administration that included removing U.S. troops from Iraq by 2013.
    McCain’s campaign has blasted Harkin for suggesting that a long military career is a bad thing. Elsewhere, the right-wing blogosphere and pundits have suggested that Harkin is out of touch.”It’s perverse,” said National Review editor Rich Lowry. “He has this family history of serving the country in the most risk-taking way possible, and that somehow disqualifies you to be president of the United States? That’s insane.”

Democratic strategist Kristen Powers, a FOX News political analyst, said Harkin’s comments make it harder for Democrats to claim the moral authority on foreign policy.

“I think it’s a problem. I don’t know why he would say something like that, and it reinforces this idea of Democrats not respecting military service … it’s a noble calling, and I don’t know why he would say something like that,” she said.

Harkin, who noted in the conference call with reporters that difficulty recruiting has led to more high school dropouts and felons entering the military, has a long military record of his own.

He served in the Navy on active duty for five years, and remained in the reserves until 1989. But while running for president in 2004, he was forced to admit that he never did combat air patrols or photo reconnaissance in Vietnam as he had claimed.

According to The Wall Street Journal, which acquired his military records at the time of his presidential bid, Harkin ferried damaged aircraft between repair stations in Japan and the Philippines, and ran test flights of the planes after they were fixed.

Harkin is a moron, plain and simple. Seems to me, he has envy issues.

2. I also just read this on Fox News and was about to post it myself...

What a jack@$$!! So because my uncles served in every branch of the military, and since I have been in the military since I was 20 and plan on making a career out of it, that seems to make me almost delusional to the way things work and thus colors my perspective on world affairs and how to run a country? WHAT?! This coming from a guy who LIED about what he used to do in the military, apparently because he was ashamed that he never saw any action and wanted to make himself look better, or more "presidential"? What an IDIOT!

3. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

It that's how he thinks, that guy is a peckerwood, IMHO. With my deepest apologies to the "good" peckerwoods.

If anything, serving gives you a much broader perspective and viewpoint on what you're asking our troops to do (and hard service--like being a POW--makes you just that much more cautious).

Didn't JFK serve in the Navy ?

"Bill Clinton is the only president to have not served in some branch of the military"

Hmmmmmmm.................well, there ya have it.......

4. That's got to be one of the dumbest things a senator has ever said. How could someone this warped ever be elected?

5. Gee you mean since I joined the Navy when I was 16 and served til they told me I was too old and ugly to play anymore I am delusional and have dangerous views of how the world works? Gosh I'm glad someone pointed that out to me.... Morons!

6. Consider the source... and the beliefs. This guy should spend a few weeks in SERE training and see how he feels after the fact...

“I think it’s a problem. I don’t know why he would say something like that, and it reinforces this idea of Democrats not respecting military service … it’s a noble calling, and I don’t know why he would say something like that,” she said.

... kinda reminds me of Senator Kerry's comments on the men and women in uniform.

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  7. Windwalker

Windwalker G&G Newbie

My first thought was how could the voters of Iowa elect a misfit like this to represent them in the Senate? Then I thought of Clinton, Obama, Finstein, and Schummer to name a few and decided the voters of Iowa are no more crazy than those in some of the other states.

8. Haven't looked, have no clue, but let me guess, this Harkin is a Democrat isn't he? Well not that it matters cuz either way he's a moron. I'd soon as well in this day and age have a Commander in Chief that HAS some form of military background then one that has no CLUE!

9. I think that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Frankly being from a military family and serving your self could only benifit a leader. Mc'Cain has a lot of experience from both his time in the service and his time as a senator. From what I have seen people in the military tend to be more politically astute then the average person. I asume this is because those who serve tend to have more of a interst in whats going on in their country and the political climate is a good indicator as to what could or is going to happen with the military.

10. killer

killer G&G Newbie

Tom Harkin....now there is a name I haven't heard since his last stumble and fall on his face episode. What was it? Oh yaaaaa half a million in taxpayes money:

Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA) has included an earmark of $500,000 in the Senate Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education bill for La Raza.
    $500,000 for National Council of La Raza, to provide technical assistance on Hispanic workforce issues including capacity building. Language barriers, and health care job training
    The $500,000 for La Raza, an organization that supports open borders and a Spanish speaking America, is just part of Harkin's $37.87 million in ear marks.

My source for above:
    Harkin Wants To Give $500 K to La Raza | Redstate

It doesn't make sense to me to give half a million in taxpayers money to an outfit that hates America, the American flag and it's people and wants it replaced with the Mexican flag, and Mexicans.

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  11. Sad, sad, sad, . . .

that millions upon millions of dollars that could have helped people has been wasted on campaigns that have produced the three we now have for presidential contenders.

Even sadder that senators commit mental meltdowns in public over ridiculous issues and beyond sad the media calls this newsworthy.

McCain's ability to be commander-in-chief can only be judged by his
    managerial capacity, mental grasp of complex issues, ability as a visionary thinker, and innate sense of when to use or not use the military for the protection of our nation and/or the implementation of our foreign policy goals.

His family heritage neither qualifies nor disqualifies him to be
    commander-in-chief.

12. It's not going to be too long before the crazies outnumber the sane people.

13. soonerborn

soonerborn G&G Newbie

This idiot also said when Bush was running that his lack of military service should disqualify him from being president since NG isnt really military service. Suprised nobody mentioned this little discrepency.

14. ... typical double-speak from a Democrat. Hey, military service is only good if it is in their favor, not the favor of a Republican.

Democrats, you might want to jettison this moron from your ranks... Calling anyone unfit to be President because of military service and/or military life is a very STUPID thing to do.

15. morono <>---- hehe Spanish

16. patrick70

patrick70 G&G Newbie

I believe military service is a plus,Tom Harkin has alot of nerve,especially with his double speak.

17. I wouldn't call that 'typical from a Democrat;' I've never heard another one say it. But I agree that it was an incredibly stupid thing to say.

18. Yes since 1945, prior to that there have been quite a number that have not served. Though my personnal belief is that the President should have prior military expierence.

19. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    Apparently it hasn't occurred to Harkin that McCain's been out of the military for going on 30 years now. He also seem to presume that McCain hasn't learned anything about how to view the world other than through a "military prism" in the more than 20 years he's been the House and the Senate.

There are sports drinks, and there are energy drinks. Do you think that there is such a thing as a stupid-drink, something you imbibe that drops your IQ by 50 points? If there is, Harkins must go through the stuff by the case!